Sequel: The Way You Lie
Status: Hope you love it as much as you loved How To Save A Life :)

Been to Hell

Pointing the Blame

By the time we finally reached Alaska, I was dangerously sick. I couldn’t do anything for myself, Zane had to carry my to the bathroom if I had to use it, and help me take quick baths because I couldn’t support myself. If he didn’t help me, my weak body couldn’t hold itself above the water. He had to hold me up and spoon feed me, he even had to dress me. I was like a baby, unable to do anything for myself.

They couldn’t keep the infection away, no matter how hard they tried to clean the stitches. They didn’t have the proper items to clean it, they finally gave up when they found it was only making it worse. By the time they got a nurse to our new home, I could barely breath. My chest felt heavy and my body ached. The only thing Zane could do was watch worriedly, cooing for me to hold on a little bit longer.

The nurse screamed at Zane and Ren when she seen my state. It was like she knew they had taken ill care of me. But at least they tried. She pulled a plastic breathing mask over my mouth and hooked a clear tube to it.

“I can’t do anything with her except get her back on pain medication. I’m going to have to bring in some friends to help me.” She growled. Turning back to Zane.

“She’s going to survive right?” Zane whimpered, starting to walk towards me until she growled at him once more. She was angry, maybe because they were being stupid? But I’m not sure.

“There is a great possibility that she will die, she would’ve been out of the hospital by now if you had just left her there. Without the medication they had her on she is prone to infection, which had already spread throughout her body. I’ll be surprised if she survives until tomorrow. I’m actually quite surprised she made it this far. You have no idea how much pain she is in.” Zane eyes grew wide with fear, and horror. I wish I could tell him I wasn’t in any pain anymore, I can’t feel anything, I’m numb. She scaring him, I don’t like it.

Ren’s voice was shaky when he spoke. He knew this was his fault, so did Zane. Zane turned to glare at him, and Ren just sifted his weight. “Can you get your friends here quickly, we can’t loose her. She’s very important to us.”
“You speak of her as if she’s a pet.” The nurse hissed, clearly disgusted with them. Ren flinched, and he shifted his weight once more. “No, I cannot. They can’t get here until they get out of work tomorrow morning. I will be back with them at seven sharp, do not take her off from this machine, she’s going to get worse before she gets better.” With that said she turned back to me and placed a cold washcloth over my forehead, patting my cheek softly. To me it seemed like she liked me, but she hated Ren for sure. Maybe she had mixed emotions about Zane still, I’m not sure. But I do know that she is going to try and help me, I can tell already.

“Please don’t leave.” Zane whispered. “Help her, please.” Tears started streaking his cheeks, it just about broke my heart. I can’t see him this way. Just the sight almost forced sobs out of my chest. “I love her so much.”

“I have to leave and get the things she needs. Just keep this cold wash cloth on her forehead, she has a fever. Make sure she stays underneath the blankets as well. Its gets cold at night, you need to keep an eye on her.” The nurse informed, standing up and grabbing her wallet from inside the bag she brought the machine in with. “The most I can do for her at the moment is put her on this machine. It helps her breath and the pain will soften. Just keep someone with her at all times.”

“Thank you.” Ren said as she stepped outside of the front door, slamming it shut.

It didn’t take long for Zane to reach me. But he didn’t know what to do when he got here. He just kneeled next to me and tucked his face in the crook of my neck. Allowing his tears to soak into my skin. I could feel his terror, he didn’t want to loose me, he was so scared he would.

“Lets get her to the bedroom then.” Ren informed, beginning to walk towards me. My heart began to race, I still don’t trust this man. Why should I? He might as well kill me, he has already put me in my death bed.

“Don’t touch them.” Peter’s voice growled. “This is all your fault!” The baby started crying, Natalie hushed it and bounced it in her thin arms. Her dirty blonde hair was sticking all over the place and she looked just about as tired as I was.

“Don’t you dare try to pin this on me! She is the one who got this sick!” Ren snapped, Zane just about jumped to his feet. His angry showing through his tears.

“How in the hell is this her fault!” He screamed, making me jump. I’ve never seen him so mad. Natalie looked over at me worriedly, like she sensed my uneasiness. “She was doing fine before you came into the picture! You blackmail me and now she is dying! I cannot loose her! She is the only person who has ever loved me! Without her I am nothing! I should kill you!”

“You should kill her! End that girl’s suffering already! How much have you put her though! She wouldn’t be in this mess if it weren’t for you! You kidnapped her! You allowed her to be shot! This is as much your fault as much as it is mine! You should be ashamed of yourself!” I hated them fighting like this. Not only did it scare me, but it makes me feel so small. I hate being fought over, Zane doesn’t deserve this right now.

“Shut up!” Natalie snapped. “You’re scaring her, deal with this somewhere else!”

Zane looked back at me and returned to my side. Ever so gently picking me up and nuzzling me close to his chest. Peter came over to gather the heavy looking machine in his arms. They walked to the door of the bedroom door. Peter screamed for Natalie to follow and once she got into the room he slammed the door shut.

Zane rested me in the soft bed and fixed the cold wash cloth on my forehead. Then he tucked the soft blanket over my shaking body. Natalie sat down in the recliner in the corner, leaving the couch in the corner for them. Even though Peter went for it, Zane just sat next to me. His soft fingers stroking my cold cheek. Just their worried looks frightened me, would I really die by tonight?