My Only One

Hospital Waiting Rooms

Brittany-
I paced in the hospital waiting room. My daughter was sick. My anxiety was nearly through the roof. My pacing stopped when someone wrapped their arms around me. I turned to see Jack looking down at me. I couldn’t handle it. I broke down, sobbing uncontrollably in his arms.
“Hey, it’s okay. She’s a strong little kid. She’ll be okay.” He drew circles in my back.
“Jack, she’s only a little kid.” I continued to sob.
“Yeah, but the doctor said it was only appendicitis.” He pulled me to a chair. “She’ll be okay.”
“Anything can go wrong Jack, that’s why I had to sign the release forms. What if it’s our daughter who is that one who doesn’t make it?”
“Britt, you’re crazy. Audrey will be fine.” He reassured me.
“Mr. and Mrs. Barakat?” The doctor came up to us.
“Yes?” Jack stood up.
“Oh we’re not married.” I said quickly.
“But you have a child together? Anyway, the surgery went well and she’s in her room.” The doctor explained. Jack and I walked to her room. I looked at the sleeping child in the bed and I sat on the couch followed by Jack.
“Try and get some sleep.” He brushed my hair behind my ear.
“No, what if she wakes up? She’ll be scared.” I shook my head.
“She’ll be fine.” He wrapped an arm around me and hugged me. I stood up and started pacing again. Jack who was lying down on the couch looked at me and sighed. He opened his arms and motioned for me to lie next to him. I took a deep breath and joined him. Once I lied down Jack wrapped his lanky arm around my waist and rested his chin above my head. I tried to drift off to sleep but failed. I rolled over trying not to disturb the sleeping man behind me. As I turned I caught his scent. I missed the nights where when I couldn’t sleep, I could just curl up next to him and almost automatically fall asleep. I gave up trying I walked out and into the hall soon to be followed by Jack again. I’ll admit it, I was still in love with him. I was just afraid. What if Audrey got too attached and he took off on us? I didn’t want her to get hurt again. I was just looking out for my daughter. I was also hurting the both of us by not giving Jack another chance. Knowing we were both desperate to be together again, I still refused to take him back. Everything changed after we broke up. I wasn’t happy anymore. Audrey made me happy, but no one could make me happy the way Jack could.
“Did I wake you?” I looked at him apologetically.
“No, I couldn’t sleep all that well. I take it you couldn’t either, huh?” He shook his head and looked at his feet.
“Not really.” We both walked to the elevators. I pushed the button to go down. As the doors opened a mother and father stepped out and walked away. It hurt to know that Jack and I could’ve been like that. Once we were off the elevator, we walked to the food court area. I sat at one of the small, round tables in the corner.
“Brit?”
“Yeah Jack?”
“Can I ask you something? But you have to promise me you won’t get mad or upset or anything.” He fiddled with his thumbs, something he would do when he got extremely nervous. I always did find it cute.
“Sure.” I spoke quietly soon regretting it.
“How come you never told me about Audrey or that you were even pregnant?”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry i havent posted in a long time.
comment for a chapter?