And If The Sun Comes Up

What's Eating Jake?

Sophie’s P.O.V (October 1995)

I’m so glad Jake and I left JB’s when we did because the vodka I’d been drinking was really starting to do its job. Hell, I know I’m not legal to drink, but I’m lucky, I look older than my 16 years. My parents and Jake’s have always said that as long as we keep them informed as to when we reach our destination and when we are making our way back, they will pretty much let us go anywhere to a degree.

Jake’s been acting a little strange since we left the club; I just don’t know what’s eating him. I think it’s got something to do with Eleanor and Lucas being there, but he’s keeping his cards close to his chest on this one.

We were about half an hour from home when he just stops in his tracks and said that he’s had a great night and doesn’t want it to end; could he stay over? I didn’t see that as a problem, but I needed to check with my folks first.

“Hi Mom, it’s Sophie; I know it’s late notice, but would it be ok for Jake to stay over tonight?”

“I can’t see it being a problem at all as long as he knows he’ll be on the sofa.”

“Christ Mom, do you have to?”

“Well, I know what you teenagers are like; you may have the best intentions in the world, but when you’ve had a good night and a few drinks inside you it’s a different story.”

“Yeah, right, whatever Mom. We’ll be back soon ok?”

“Ok darling, see you in a bit.”

God my Mom can be so embarrassing sometimes. She knows that there’s nothing going on between me and Jake in that way, but sometimes we’re that close that we might as well be together. He’s the only boy who’s actually loved me for who I am. He’s never judged me and he’s always been there for me at the drop of a hat. We’ve known each other for so long that to lose him would be like losing a limb.

“There, sorted Jake. You better phone your Mom and tell her what’s happening, right?”

“I’m on it Soph. “

We carried on walking while Jake phoned his Mom. After a few minutes we were on my street. I could see that the kitchen lights were on and I could just see my Mom poking her head through the blinds. She must have seen us as she darted away from the window as quickly as anything.

We got to the front door.

“Come on in you two. Jake, I’ve made the sofa up for you ok hun? I’m going up to bed now, so you enjoy your night and try not to stay up too late will you?”

“We’ll try,” said Jake and I in unison.

I switched on the TV, went to the kitchen and grabbed a couple of beers from the fridge. I found out some nachos and salsa and put everything on a tray and took it into the living room.

Jake had already made himself comfortable and cosy on his makeshift bed for the night and patted the spot next to him for me to sit down. I got everything organised around us and realised that the TV was awful tonight. I found out my favourite film of all time, The Crow, and I put into the video player.

“Oh hell Soph, I know how much you love this film and I do too, but have we got to watch it again?”

“Have you got any better idea’s smarty pants?”

“Well, as a matter of fact, I do. I want to talk to you Soph and its pretty important so shall we just put some music on low and have a chat?”

“Oh well, if we must.”

I managed to find out some CD’s and put them in my 5 disc changer. I pressed the shuffle button and let the music do the business. Music is my life; I’d be nothing without it.

“Ok Jake, what do you want to talk about?”

Jake shifted me round to face him and looked at me like we were about to never meet again; there was a pleading look in his eyes and it made me feel quite uncomfortable.

“Shit, look Soph, there’s not an easy way to say this to you, so I’ll try and make it as quick as possible. You remember when I was in the toilet at the club and I was taking forever? I hadn’t disappeared you know. I was in there when Eleanor and Lucas just waltzed right in. I was shocked to see Eleanor in there to say the least, but we got chatting anyhow.”

“She apologised to me about everything that had happened between us and I will be brutally honest, but the conversation got round to them suggesting that I should turn you.”

“Jesus Jake, what the hell. You’re really scaring me now. Stop it.”

“Oh Sophie, please let me finish? I basically told them that there wouldn’t be a snowflakes chance in hell that I would ever put you through what I had to. Do you think I could ever do that to you, honestly?”

“Well, no, not really. Sorry Jake, but you’ve been acting so weird lately that nothing would shock me with you at the moment.”

“I just wanted to tell you that, that’s all, but there’s one more thing I think you should know. Even though you know I would never do anything to hurt you, I’ve still got this nagging feeling that if I won’t turn you then they will. They didn’t really say anything of the sort out loud, but I know how their minds work and that’s why I wanted to tell you in advance. I know I can’t be with you 24 hours a day, but with the time that I am able to spend with you, I promise that I'll never let anything hurt you.”
“Oh my God Jake; are you serious? This cannot be happening. So basically what you’re saying is I’ve got to wait around until one of them takes a chunk out of my neck?”

“Well, hopefully they won’t get to you in order give you a vampire makeover, but if they try anything nasty, I’ll be here for you, right?”

“Right.”

I knew it; I knew it. So that’s what was eating Jake, but Christ Almighty, I didn’t realise it was this bad. Let’s just hope I don’t bump into Eleanor or Lucas while I’m on my own or I could be vampire bait.

We both sat back on the sofa and pulled the duvet over us and resumed our 100th (yes, it’s that many) showing of The Crow.

I woke up in the morning still fully clothed and on the sofa cuddled up next to Jake. I looked up at Jake. He looked so peaceful and contented which is probably because he got a lot off his chest last night and as much as it freaked me out, I felt relieved that he now felt at ease even if were only for a little while. I quietly thought to myself, you know, this is what friends are for.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've really put a great deal of though into this chapter, so that's my last update for tonight now.
Comments would make me feel supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Do it, do it; you know you want to!

<3