And If The Sun Comes Up

Whatever Gets You Through The Night

Jake’s P.O.V (Saturday night after the Halloween Party; October 1995)

We barely made it through watching Carrie by Stephen King before Sophie started dozing off. She tried so desperately to stay awake even if it was just to finish her beer, but sleep had finally got the better of her.

We were both on the bed propped up against the back wall. I had my right arm curled round Sophie; her knees were raised and hooked over my legs. I just about managed to free myself from her dead weight and crossed the small distance from the bed to the TV/Video recorder to stop the film. I looked round at her when I heard her muttering some muffled words between her light snores; she made me giggle. I just wanted her to be at peace tonight; I wanted her to sleep soundly.

I desperately needed the toilet, so I took a quick look at Sophie curled up on the bed and walked across the landing to the bathroom. I finished my record breaking ‘longest pee of all time’ and flushed the toilet. I got up and stood in front of the bathroom mirror; there was no longer any reflection looking back at me, just a blurred outline almost like a water mark. Sophie was really going to have to help me with my make up now. I bent my head down to rinse my face with the cool running water from the cold tap and slowly looked back up to the mirror.

“Jeez Soph; what the hell are you doing?” I saw her reflection appear in the mirror and I nearly jumped through the roof.

“I couldn’t sleep Jake. I heard you moving about in here and just wandered if everything was ok?”

“All’s well with me Soph, but you needn’t worry about that. Let’s concentrate on keeping you ok, shall we?” I was just about starting to calm down after the fright she had given me.

“Well, I’ve just seen my reflection in the mirror Jake, so that must be a good thing, eh?” she questioned hopefully.

“Let’s hope so sugar. Come on; let’s get you back to bed so you can get some sleep.”

I sat next to Sophie’s sprawled out form on the bed. I put the TV on, kept the volume low and tried to keep my eyes prised open. Any time I watched Sophie sleep it gradually made me sleepy and most times we’d eventually both end up fast asleep next to each other, still in the same clothes from the night before.

At about 5:30am on Sunday morning I made a mental note that Sophie hadn’t moved an inch since our little encounter in the bathroom, so I thought that maybe I’d just close my eyes....for a little while......just to rest them.

I must have been in such a deep sleep until I felt a presence right above my own face. I didn’t know if I was awake or dreaming. I opened my eyes to find Sophie’s face literally centimetres above mine. I shot up unfortunately head butting her in the process. We both fell backwards clutching our noses and heads respectively.

“Christ Jake, what the hell did you do that for?” she cried as she clutched her nose.

“Oh, jeez, I’m so sorry Soph; I didn’t mean to hurt you, but that’s the second time tonight that you’ve scared the wits out of me and you’ve put me on edge.”

“I didn’t think vampire’s got scared?” she probed sharply.

“Well this one does get scared. He also cares a great deal about you and just wants you to be ok. He loves you more than you will ever know and that’s why he’s scared.” I hoped this answered her question enough.

“I’m sorry Jake, I didn’t mean to sound so ungrateful. You know I love you too; loads. We’re just both feeling a little edgy tonight and it’s playing with our emotions.” She cupped my face in her soft, warm hands. “I want to go back to sleep now, but I want you to join me this time. You look so tired.”

She was right, I would need matchsticks to keep my eyes open at this point, so I did as she told and I climbed on to her bed, lying on my right side. I opened my arms up to her and she backed up in to my arms and pulled them round her. This is how it will always be with me and Sophie and I loved it; this is what life’s all about.

I finally felt sleep starting to take me away and the last thought in my head was, “She’s no vampire; she’s my Sophie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I loved writing this chapter guys so I really hope you enjoy it too. I've worked so hard on this story and I'm really pleased with it.

Thanks for all of your comments so far; they really do mean a lot.

Love y'all

Lucy ::clap: