Status: New, might just be a short story. Keep or kill?

Listen to Me

Jason 003

My first year of freedom from being babied by my parents and having to babysit my sister, and I instantly feel like I have to babysit my roommate all the time.

He isn't a bad guy, I mean it's not like he parties late and gets in trouble for doing stupid shit. It's really the exact opposite. He's quiet, like he doesn't talk at all and he keeps to himself.

He's deaf, so that isn't his fault I guess. It must be hard not being able to talk to anybody. He seems to be able to communicate with his cousin pretty well even when they don't use sign language.

I feel kinda bad for him. He's all a big school practically on his own and it's like he's a foreigner. I know his cousin said he just wants to fit in, but I really don't see him being able to do that here.

Rory sat on his bed reading a book. I bet he's freaking smart. He reads and does his work all the time. I wonder what his major is.

I was supposed to be studying too, but I've been reading this novel for a hour now and all I can remember is the main character's name. I sighed and laid back on my bed. There was too much reading in college.

My phone rang loudly on my desk. I ran to grab so I wouldn't bother my roommate, but then I remembered that he can't hear anyway. I answered the phone.

"Dude, where the hell are you?" My friend Reggie yelled at me through the phone.
"I'm at my dorm. Where are you?"
"The keg party!! Hello, the big beer bash before the semester stars?! It's our last night of freedom before classes tomorrow!"
"Oh yeah." I stared at my novel. "Look, I've got a lot of reading to do-"
"Come on, man, you can't miss this party! There's beer, there's babes-"
"I've gotta study, man-"
"Okay, tell me this: How long have you been studying today?"
"Who knows? It feels like time has stopped."
"Okay, and what have you gotten from studying all day? Nothing but a big headache, right?"
I didn't say anything because he was right.
"Alright then, now get your ass to this kegger so I won't have to enjoy myself without you. The ladies will be sorely disappointed if you don't come."
I rolled my eyes. "Okay, okay. I'm coming."
"That's what I thought. Hurry up, man!" A loud shout came from the background before the call ended.

I'm not much of a party person, but anything sounded better than reading this menace to literature.

I got up, grabbed my phone and my keys, and slipped on some shoes. As I was putting on my jacket, I caught Rory staring at me. I felt bad just leaving him here on his own, but I wasn't sure if I should bring him with me. I mean, there's gonna be a lot of drinking and I don't think he can handle it. And there's gonna be music and lots of talking - wouldn't that just make him feel out of place?

"I, uh, I'm going to a party." I said, then felt instantly stupid when he looked at me, confused.
I ran to grab a notepad off the desk - that's mainly how we've been communicating. I wrote "Going to a keg party." He nodded and looked back at his book, but I could tell he didn't even care what he was reading anymore - the book had flipped back to the beginning and he had been halfway through with it.

I sighed, feeling really crappy. I added "You can come with me" to the note and put it in front of his face. His eyes lit up and he smiled at me expectantly. I nodded, as if he had asked "Really? I can come?"

He hopped up, stepped into a pair of shoes and a hoodie, and stood by me. He looked up at me - he was probably five inches shorter than me. I still thought this was gonna be awkward, but if he wanted to go, I couldn't exactly tell him that he couldn't.

We walked to the house the party was at. The stench of alcohol that hit you as soon as you walk through the door was one that I was familiar with. I haven't been to a bunch of keggers - like I said, I don't party a lot, but I don't mind drinking.

I spotted Reggie standing off to the side talking to two girls. By the time I had walked up to him, the girls had left.

"Ouch, doubly rejected. Gotta hurt, huh?" I smirked and put my arm around his shoulders.
"You got a lot of nerve showing up when I'm getting turned down." I laughed. "Oh well, there's more where they came from. And you are gonna help me get 'em."
"Why me?"
"Because you're the babe magnet."
"I am not."
"Yes you are! You're totally smooth with babes. I don't get it, it's like you speak their language... their weird, alien, shoe-based language."
I laughed. "It's only because I have a sister."
"Yeah well I've got three brothers and no girlfriend, so help me out, huh?"
"I'll see what I can do." I looked around the room to scope out a girl for him, when my sight locked onto to Rory, who was still standing by the door looking completely lost.
"Crap. Hold on, man." I said to Reggie.

I walked over to Rory, grabbed his wrist, and pulled him over to Reggie. Reggie was a dick, but I was hoping he'd show a little sympathy for the guy if I told him he couldn't hear.
"Reggie, this is Rory. He's my roommate."
Reggie looked at him, then at me. "Dude, I wanted a girl. You know, with girl parts."
I rolled my eyes. "I'm showing him to you so you can help me out. He can't hear, and I need your help to keep an eye on him."
"What do you mean, he can't hear?"
"He's deaf."
"Like, deaf deaf?"
I rolled my eyes again. "No, like blind blind. Yes, he's deaf. He can't hear anything."
He looked at him, then shouted. "You're a dick!"
I punched Reggie in the arm. "Dude, what's the matter with you?!"
"Ow! I was just testing it!"
"He's not faking, man! He really can't hear!"
Reggie looked at him, then me again. "He can't hear?" I shook my head. "At all?" I shook my head again. "Okay... so why are you babysitting him?"
"'Cause... I felt bad leaving him there, and I told his cousin I'd look out for him."
"His cousin ain't here, and your conscience shouldn't be either. He's gonna get in the way of our female conquest."
"He won't, I promise."
Reggie didn't look convinced, but he shut up anyway.

I talked to a bunch of girls for Reggie. Right now he's surrounded by a group of them and I can tell they only stayed there because they were drunk and didn't realize Reggie wasn't funny.

Like I said, he's a dick. Why am I friends with a dick? He's always knows how to have a good time.

I sat back with a beer and observed the room. There were a lot more guys than girls at this party. If I wanted, I could leave here tonight with one or two of them, but I never hooked up with party girls. They were a walking disaster zone.

I saw Rory standing by himself. Dammit, I can't leave this kid alone without feeling guilty. I finished my beer, threw away the cup, and went over to him. He looked up at me, and I think I saw him mouth the word "Sorry." He thought he was ruining my night, but to be honest, I wasn't having any fun anyway. I only came to shut Reggie up.

I wasn't sure what he could do at a party - he can't hear music, he can't flirt with anybody, and I'll be damned if I let him get wasted. God, this was hard.

I blinked as he pointed to where people were drinking. I shook my head. He frowned. "No beer." I told him - he probably understood me. He pouted, and I just about gave in right then. He went over to the kitchen and got a beer out of the fridge. I ran and grabbed it from him, and before he could kick my ass, I opened it over the sink to let it fizz up and spit out beer. At every party, someone shakes up the beer cans for a cheap laugh. He looked at me apologetically as I handed him the beer can. "One beer. Just one." I held up a finger and pointed to the can. He frowned. I folded my arms and held my ground. He rolled his eyes and drank his beer. I'm sure he's getting annoyed with me, but I can't help it. It's like I've fallen into big brother mode all over again.

I grabbed another beer. I saw Rory make a face as he sipped his drink, and I tried not to laugh. "I knew you wouldn't want another one anyway." I said, not caring if he didn't hear me.
I threw my empty can away and looked at Rory. He blushed and handed me the nearly full can, which I tossed in the trash. I know it was stupid, but I really wanted to dance and I had five beers by now that were kicking in, so I dragged Rory to the floor where everyone was dancing. He just stood there, looking around. I grabbed his arms and spun him around. I led him by his arms back and forth, moving him around the crowd of girls that were gathering. They cooed over how cute Rory was. I held his hand and spun him around again. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just laughed like a drunken idiot, then grabbed him by the waist and lifted him up in the air. Everyone cheered and gathered around, and soon Rory was surfing a crowd of people. After a minute, I got him back and pulled him down. He looked terrified. I frowned and mumbled a 'sorry'. He chewed his lip and stared at me, then shook his head and led me out of the house.

"Hey, where are we going?" I slurred.
He led me all the way back to the dorm and sat me on my bed. I tried to get back up but he sat me back down and pushed me onto my bed. He pulled my blanket over me and turned off the lights. I didn't want to go to sleep, but I did soon after I felt something soft and warm on my forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
*I'm rearranging stuff and changing up the chapters a bit, so some updates right now might just be revised chapters - be sure to check that.

Okay, so I know this chapter is crappy and filler, but I wanted to update. I wanted to see what Jason's point of view might be. I think he's a pretty okay guy.

The party... god, in every story I've ever written, I used a party scene when I tried to fix my writer's block. It's a crutch, but it worked really well here and I didn't even have writer's block this time. I really wanted to write the college party into it :)

I'm not in college, so whatever experiences I put in here are pulled from my brain and my knowledge of college movies. Also, I don't know any deaf people. Basically, I'm just winging it here.

Hope you all like it so far!

Comments/ Subscribe = love and updates