Status: I'd drink to that

Who's this Guy? (Jake's Story)

Friends

Just okay? Cara thought to herself as she re-read his message again. She couldn't say anything back or he'd think she was interested...but she was. She could be friends with him right? Maybe mention friends in the message?

'How's the dinner going?' he sent back a few minutes later as she continued to debate on what or what not to text back if anything at all.

Sighing with relief she replied back. 'It is going okay...you want to get a beer later?' after sending it she cursed at herself and quickly added 'Just as friends.'

"Cara why are you texting at the table, I didn't know you were still in high school." Mary spoke up after her daughter cursed.

"It's important matter. And it's not like you were talking to me anyways." Cara said just as Jake replied back.

'I would love to...but I took some medication that wouldn't mix well with alcohol.'

"I was talking, and what's so important? Who are you texting?"

"Jake."

"I thought he was a stray dog?"

"I can atleast try being his friend, he seems nice." Cara said. 'Medication? Whats wrong? I'm srry its none of my business' she texted back.

"Nice? Huh, well that's a start." Mary said before standing up and carrying her empty plate to the kitchen.

'I rushed into a drug deal and got shot nothing big' Jake replied back making Cara glare at the phone. She didn't want to care.

'Nothing big!? I think getting shot is pretty big, are you ok?'

'Yeah im fine. We don't have to get a beer to hang out, how about a walk?'

'I dont know.'

'C'mon.' 'Scratch that, come with me tomorrow to Carter.'

'Why do you have to go to Carter?'

'To see my brother, we can go horse back riding. Theres nice trails where he lives.'

'I need to sleep on it.'

'Fine.' he replied. Cara decided that was going to be the end of the conversation. Carter was a small town about forty minutes out of Raven. Her dad lived in Carter., she hardly visited him anymore.

"Hey mom, you and dad still talking?" Cara asked as she started to help her mother clear the table.

"We talk every now and then, why?"

"Just curious." Cara replied.

Cara wasn't sure if she wanted to go to Carter or not, horseback riding did sound fun, and least this time she wouldn't get drunk and not know what she was doing. She had somethings to think about, starting with if she eat some of her mother's chocolate cake, or just head home.

"Is the cake as good as your's?" Mary asked; Cara just shook her head no, really her's tasted the same. She just didn't feel like upsetting her mom before leaving. "Good, I worked hard on it. How's Kelly?"

"She's a little mad at me, but she's good."

"Why is she mad at you?"

"Because I wouldn't give Jake a chance."

"Well she has a right to be mad at you. We care about you, yet you don't care what we have to say, so instead of fighting this time she just gave up just like I did." Mary said.

"Hey, I texted him tonight just so I didn't push him away. And I think I do...care for him a little."

"Good, let him know. Don't let him think he's trying for something that won't last or happen. Rather it's a friendship that last or dating."

"No more lectures tonight ma' I think I am going to take off."

"Alright, drive safely. Remember what I said."

"I know, love ya mom."

"I love you too. Have a good night dear."

"You too." Cara answered before walking out of the house, closing the door behind her.