Get up Whenever You Fall

Thea

The beach is a serene view that I’m amazed to see at this time of the day. Rolls of waves stroke the soft sand and the sun’s golden rays scatter from the wispy clouds as we soak in as much sunlight as possible. Nico hasn’t peeled off her casual clothes, not just yet. I figure she’ll have to show herself in a swimsuit sooner or later.

I can’t fathom why someone as gorgeous as her would be concerned about her appearance. It doesn’t make sense to me.

“Thea, look, I found something,” Travis calls out to me with an unusual smile, dimples included. “Come here.” His dark eyes are gleaming beautifully under the thick sunlight.

Scurrying with bare feet, the guys release full laughter and do cart wheels and flips, basking into this new freedom. My lips stretch from ear to ear, exposing my pearly whites into the perfect smile. I step calmly towards Travis, murmuring innocently, “What is it?”

He doesn’t pass up the opportunity to clasp his hands around my waist and to position me onto his shoulders. I let out a half-yelp, half-giggle as he strides quickly to the waters. Oh, boy. Please tell me no...

“Put me down! Put me down, Travis!” I shriek, wriggling to untangle myself from him. However, his strength makes that task impossible. “Hey, this isn’t funn—“

He tosses me into the foamy ocean, with the waves tossing me back and forth. I shove my arms upwards to a proper stroke and rise up to the surface of the water, gasping and coughing at the same time. I have not realized how deep the water is and how strong Travis actually is, despite his medium-build.

“You’ll pay for that,” I promise to him, and he smiles. A real smile, for the second time ever. I drag my feet and let them smack against the wet sand, stamping a trail of my footprints. “You’re smiling for real now, huh?” I question Travis, and his grin fades. He must be taken off guard.

“What makes you say so?” He cocks an eyebrow, as if daring me to say the forbidden, and now a smirk crosses his lips.

“Dimples,” I answer, proceeding closer and closer to him. When I’m finally inches in front of him, I prod the spot on his face where the dimple had been. “Your dimple shows when you’re smiling genuinely. I can tell.”

He chuckles. “Wrong.” It is my turn to lift a brow cockily.

“Oh?” I echo his chuckle. “What’s wrong with my hypothesis, then?” He presses himself to me, smirking dangerously, and whispers, “You’ll never find out.”

“Sounds like a challenge,” I conclude, casually pushing him back by the chest. “Shake on it.” He takes my hand into his, and despite the sparks we both felt, we shake hands to seal our deal. Then we sit for a short while on the sand and relax, both of us sprawled on the ground and letting the rough texture of sand coat our skins.

Then I see Nico and Kyler almost grappling each other. I nearly laugh aloud, but restrain myself. “You ‘kay?” I ask, my expression tainted with concern now. “Fine, I got my revenge,” she grins. Finally, I can’t help but giggle.

“You all up for a swim, without throwing anyone in the water?” this guy named Derek asks, slightly irritated.

I know my reply immediately. “Yes, but only if certain people act civil,” I quip, my eyes flickering to Travis as I say so. He rolls his eyes and rises to his feet as Kyler follows behind him. It takes me a second to realize they’ve began an unspoken race.

Since we’re abandoned here, I try to start up a conversation with Nico. “Nic, are you going?”

“You go on, I need to peel these clothes off me.” I realize it’s because she’s not too confident about her body. Once again, it really doesn’t make much sense to me how the likes of her can manage to be self-conscious. I join in with the guys, and Travis instantly captures me in his arms.

I guess we’re more comfortable with each other now because we’re considered good friends now. It’s only been a short while since we’ve met and actually gotten to know each other, but I know we have a deep connection. “Look at the sunset!” I gape at the beautiful painting of colours in the walls of the sky. The sun is retreating and sinking into the horizon, letting a few more rays to emanate lightly.

“Pretty nice, huh?” Travis wraps both arms around my waistline, and I notice it.

“Nice try,” I grin, and unravel his arms off me. “I don’t want our relationship to start off like that, Travis. I wanna be able to call you my friend first.”

Travis, with a satisfied look, shrugs and chuckles, “Fine with me. If it only takes time, I’m willing.”

“But,” I add, “Is, um, that why Adriel’s always pushing you to me?”

“Possibly.” I don’t understand how he can just answer my pressing questions so indifferently, with not a tone or emotion. Then, hesitantly, he continues on, “He thinks you’re a good match for me because... well, because you always look so nice and charismatic. He thinks it would do me good to find a girl like you, so I would change into a happier person or something.”

I’m a little disappointed. The answer I’m looking for is whether he likes me romantically or not. However, the response I uncovered from him is baffling. He is about to walk away, blushing, but I stop him. “Wait,” I interrupt, grabbing him by the arm. “I’ve changed my mind.”

All of a sudden, my life’s burden is weighing down on me as if I’ve never gotten a taste of freedom, like my service for my older sister is an onus that I’ve subconsciously disliked deep inside, as if falling in love would free me somehow from this so-called burden. All of a sudden, I wanna feel how it’s like to be in love.

“I wanna give you a chance,” I decide, saying it slowly. “... I wanna know how it’s like to like a guy, and be in love with him.” That sounds a bit corny, but I have no other way to convey my thoughts.

His eyes widen sincerely. “... what?”

“What I’m trying to say is, please kiss me, Travis Mueller,” I say directly, blushing, fumbling with my fingers and looking down at my feet. Feeling certain, I tilt my chin up and squeeze my eyes shut. “ Go on,” I whisper, voice trembling a little.

My palms sweat like crazy, and while my eyes are squeezed shut, I feel his warm lips close in the gap between us. His breath mingles with mine, and the world is suddenly spinning, or is it just me? Sparks fly down and up my body, tingling my skin and such. It’s phenomenal.

I dare open my eyes now, and I see Travis’s eyes closed, not forcefully squeezed closed, but peacefully closed. I feel his lips curve up to a smile. That’s how I know that it’s for real. I gently part from our kiss, and we both catch our breaths, gasping and smiling insanely. “You smiled,” I commented, “you smiled for real. I'm sure I'm right about it this time.”

His only reply is a soft chuckle, either from the kiss or from my last comment. Today sure is an eventful day.
♠ ♠ ♠
=)))))))))))))))))