Status: On Hiatus

Before the Fame

Confusion

I wore my sunglasses as I practically stormed out of the building to the car so we’d go to the next concert. I didn’t speak a word to any of the brothers about Nick’s actions, but if this was what he meant by being “just friends”, then so be it.

I closed my eyes as the car arrived to our hotel and bus about fifteen minutes later practically getting out of the car as soon as it parked.

“Sam,” Joe said in a knowing tone.

I sped up my pace as I ignored him getting onto the bus before climbing into my bunk-or at least, that was my original path. Just as I put my hand onto the bed, Joe grabbed my other hand, stopping me.

Our eyes met and it didn’t take long for him to speak first.

“What’s the matter with you?” he asked in a hushed whisper.

“Nothing’s wrong,” I lied yanking my hand out of his grasp only for him to grab it again.

“You’re so lying. Tell me,” he said in a firm tone not tearing his gaze.

Nick and Kevin stayed in the front, but could obviously tell Joe and I were arguing.

“Pretty much, Nick kissed me and we’re ‘just friends’ now,” I answered caving entirely in a whisper.

His mouth dropped open before his eyes flickered as though he were thinking about something. Then, suddenly he gasped causing me to jump slightly.

“Oh my-oh shit!” he exclaimed in the same whisper as before.

“W-what?” I asked in confusion, but he shook his head before speaking again.

“I’ll tell you later, alright? I have to get to the bottom of this,” he concluded before walking towards his brothers leaving me dumbstruck.

I swallowed before climbing into my bunk as I let music fill my ears through my headphones.



-November 19, 2007-

When Joe said “later”, I didn’t know he meant keeping me in suspense for almost two weeks! That was how long I had to endure the cold shoulder I received from Nick and it killed me especially since Joe started acting sort of the same way.

When we were around each other during rehearsal, Joe would talk to Nick and me occasionally, but not as much as he used to. Nick just seemed to have shut down entirely besides the usual small talk and coming from Nick, that wasn’t a lot.

It was as though he were changing into an entirely different person ever since we kissed the night of my birthday. To make matters worse, Nick and Miley seemed distant somehow. I didn’t know what was going on, but they’d be civil during concerts, but backstage, they didn’t hang out as much as they were before.

I had to know what was going on. The guys and I were currently doing another sound check, Miley elsewhere (like she’d been doing for the past week), me singing On the Line a little on the stage when I couldn’t hit a note correctly as my throat itched. A cough escaped me before a couple of more did. I cleared my throat as the music stopped, Joe speaking into his mic first.

“You alright, Sam?” he asked. I nodded before responding.

“Yeah. I’m alright. My throat’s kinda itchy. I’ll try it again,” I got out, but even that irritated my throat.

I cleared it again as the music started back up, singing the second line of On the Line, but messed up again even though I was trying my hardest. Coughs escaped me again as a headache began to form. I sniffed, swallowing again as we tried a few more times, but it only irritated my throat worse.

After that, Kevin asked for us to take a break as we walked off stage to where their dad stood with a thermometer ready. I opened my mouth as he stuck it in waiting patiently before it beeped. He took it out, his eyes widening slightly before speaking.

“I’m sorry, Sam, but it looks like you’re gonna have to sit this concert out,” he said.

“What? Why?” I asked before a cough escaped me.

He turned the thermometer around, it reading 101 degrees Fahrenheit. My eyes widened as the guys gave me sympathetic looks.

“I’ll take her to the car,” Joe said in a knowing tone. A sigh escaped me before Nick spoke.

“No. I’ll do it,” he said in a certain tone.

Joe shot Nick a look before glancing at me as I didn’t care about the matter.

“Alright,” he said in defeat as Nick and I walked out of the stadium and towards the parking lot.

The entire time, we walked in silence until we were halfway from the arena and the lot.

“I hate this! Why do I have to get sick now of all times?! I’m in my home state, too!” I exclaimed exasperatedly in a scratchy tone.

“Some things just happen,” he replied, stuffing his hands in his pockets as his extremely curly hair blew in the wind seeing as he got it cut recently so that it didn’t cover the top of his eyes anymore.

“Like us kissing?” I asked accidentally, the words coming out before I could stop them.

He stopped in his tracks before speaking.

“Please don’t mention that,” he said in a shaky tone.

“Sorry. I was just saying-,” I began, but he cut across me.

“I know, but just don’t, OK?” he asked before he resumed his pace.

A sigh escaped me as I followed in his footsteps wanting more than anything for him to speak again. Apparently, my wish came true as his voice filled the air.

“Sorry,” he said in a softer tone.

I didn’t speak waiting for him to continue and he did.

“It’s just-I’ve been going through a lot with Miley lately,” he said being vague.

“Like what?” I asked out of curiosity.

“What happened between us on your birthday has been on my mind a lot and it seems no matter how hard I try to forget or pretend as though it didn’t happen, I can’t,” he explained, but stopped as we reached the car.

Unexpectedly, after he opened the door and I climbed in, he did, too causing me to finally speak.

“W-what are you doing?” I stammered.

“Making sure you’ll get to the hotel safely,” he answered as though it were obvious. That answer silenced me for a few moments.

“So, what are you going to do about that?” I asked knowing he knew what I was referring to.

“I don’t know. Miley doesn’t know about us kissing and hopefully she won’t figure out it happened at all. We don’t need her starting rumors up again,” he answered.

Silence filled the air before he spoke again.

“What about you?” he asked. My head whipped in his direction as he stared at me.

“W-well,” I began clearing my throat as it itched again before continuing, “I don’t know what to say without making myself look like an idiot.”

“What do you mean?” he asked in confusion.

“If I say anything, I’m afraid it’ll make you think of me differently,” I answered with honesty.

“Just say it,” he said in a certain tone.

I gulped, coughing a little as the car pulled up to the hotel.

“I think the same way,” I answered quickly before I opened my door and practically ran to the hotel leaving Nick in shock.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another subscriber, another update!

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.