Status: On Hiatus

Before the Fame

Getting Signed to Sing

We arrived to a nearby café I didn’t know existed until now. Noel got out first waiting on me to get out before taking my hand as he led me inside the little place. Sparks erupted from his touch as he held my hand, but I didn’t say anything.

When we entered inside, it smelled clean as an aroma of cheeseburgers filled the air along with other good scents. I sighed in content as Noel led us to an empty booth, a waitress coming to us within a few seconds with her writing pad to take our order.

“What would you like?” the red-head woman asked in her yellow and white uniform.

“Two bacon cheeseburgers, fries, a chocolate shake, and Coca-Cola,” Noel answered with a smile.

She quickly wrote his order before smiling, and then spoke.

“It’ll be just a few minutes,” she said in a kind tone before walking away entirely.

“What is this place?” I asked regaining my voice.

“I come here a lot since I live here. Besides, you needed somewhere to go so I figured we’d come here,” he said in a soft tone.

“Thanks, Noel. I don’t know what to say,” I said honestly.

“No problem. Just consider me as your knight in shining armor,” he said with a bright smile showing his teeth.

I smiled back just as the waitress came back with our order.

We ate, talking about everything. I told him about my dad and who he was, impressing and awing him. He loved my dad’s movies to say the least and was a huge fan. I laughed at the matter finding it no big deal. He’s a huge football fan, but I could care less about sports. Unfortunately, our fun time came to an end as my phone alarm sounded, indicating it was time to go to the interview.

I jumped up, Noel placing the money including a fairly large tip on our empty plates and cups as we exited the café.



We arrived to the studio five minutes late. Noel pulled up in front of the building, me taking off in my heels to arrive in the building. The man stood there with the same man I saw at the UTA in Los Angeles as well as my mom.

All eyes landed on me as I cleared my throat, straightening my composure as I sped-walked to them, tucking a strand of hair behind my right ear.

“Ah, Samantha! You’re here!” my manager from before said in a shocked tone.

“Yes, I am. Sorry I’m late. I was-,” I began, but my mom cut across me.

“-Was getting her throat ready so she could sing, right Sam?” she asked.

“Uh, y-yeah,” I lied, feeling worse than I already did.

“Alright, well, right this way,” he said.

The man with red hair and glasses said nothing, but followed us as we entered my manager’s office.

We sat down, my mother glaring at me before she wiped the expression from her face as he spoke.

“Well, we all know why we’re here, but just to clarify, I’ll explain. Samantha, you’ve been asked to sing due to the fact that you sung for the Romeo! movie you just filmed. We from the UTA were wondering if you’d like to sign a contract to become a professional artist,” he said scratching his head.

“What would this contract indicate um-?” I asked, catching everyone off guard.

“Ben. Um, your mother would be in control of your money, but I would be co-manager as well. You’ll be asked to write a couple of original songs so to get you started, we wanted you to be around this man’s group called the Jonas Brothers,” Ben said with a smile.

“It’s a group with my three oldest sons. They’re in a band together,” the man clarified.

“Right, sorry. Just sign right here and you can begin being around them tomorrow if you’d like,” Ben said in a slightly nervous tone.

“I have another week before I finish the movie. Is there any way I can meet them another time?” I asked wanting desperately to spend as much time with Noel as possible.

Ben looked at the man before looking back at me.

“W-Well, the boys are currently on tour so I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if you came around Christmas time, right, Mr. Jonas?” Ben asked.

“If it’s alright with her mother, then it’s fine with us,” Mr. Jonas said in a firm tone.

“I would be delighted to send Samantha with your family for a few days for Christmas. You live in New Jersey, right, Mr. Jonas?” my mom asked.

I stared at her incredulously realizing I couldn’t change the matter.

“Yes, but she would have to pack accordingly since there’ll be snow,” Mr. Jonas answered in the same tone as before.

“That’ll be no problem. So, Samantha, your training with the Jonas’ will start next week. Be prepared. We’ll provide the money for you to purchase the clothing necessary to stay in New Jersey and we’ll pay you for training her voice, Mr. Jonas,” Ben said in a professional tone.

“I would like that,” Mr. Jonas said with a smile.

“So, sign here and here, Samantha and we’ll be on our way,” Ben said to me, handing me a pen.

“On a few conditions,” I said professionally.

“Name them,” Ben said.

“I have to see my dad somehow while I’m away,” I said holding back the tears.

“OK. The second?” he asked.

“If I sign this contract, I want to sing the songs I write-not what you guys force me to sing,” I said in a stern tone.

Ben gulped, but nodded his head all the while.

“And the third condition?” he asked.

I picked up the pen as I started signing my name.

“Don’t call me Samantha unless it’s something serious. I like being called Sam,” I said with a smile.

Ben smiled before handing the paper to my mom whom was shocked the entire time, but signed anyway.



“I can’t believe you talked to Ben like that! You could have lost your contract, you know!” Mom said with a hand to her head as she drove us to the hotel.

“Oh, please, Mom. You would have done the same thing,” I said, regretting my words as they fell out of my mouth.

“No, I wouldn’t have. That was a very stupid thing for you to say to him. Sam instead of Samantha? That’s a ridiculous thing to say!” she scolded, turning off the ignition after she parked in the parking lot.

I rolled my eyes as we walked up the steps to our hotel room.

“I don’t want you talking to that Noel boy for too long tonight. Here’s the Jonas Brothers’ CD. Listen to it and memorize their songs,” she said without a backwards glance as she entered our room.

I picked up the CD case staring at the front cover. It read DEMO in black cursive writing.

I tucked my hair behind my ears, some of it falling back into place as I took the CD out, placing it into my CD player.

The first song that played was called 6 Minutes. It was really catchy and probably one of my most favorite songs out of the few that were on the disk.

Eventually, my phone went off signaling I had a text. Of course, it was from Noel.

How did things go?

Things went great. After the filming is done, I’ll be staying in New Jersey for Christmas.

I changed into a large, blue t-shirt with grey shorts scratching my head as I plopped into my bed. My phone went off signaling I’d gotten Noel’s response.

That sucks. I was hoping you’d be able to stay here for Christmas. We haven’t even had our first date yet.

You wanted to go out with me on an official date?

I squealed as I hit the send button before placing my head on the pillow as I stared at the ceiling. My phone went off again and I read Noel’s text.

Of course. Why else would I show you my secret place, kiss you on the cheek, or hold your hand?

I didn’t speak for a moment as I felt stupidity wash over me. I felt like an idiot.

I feel dumb now.

Why?

Because I had a slow moment and didn’t realized how much you like/liked me.

My eyes began drifting off as I received his response, but I was too tired to read it. The phone slipped from my grasp, falling to the floor as I succumbed to sleep at last.
♠ ♠ ♠
*sighs* I don't know why this story isn't getting many readers. :(

Oh well.

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe. Don't be a silent reader!