Sequel: Artificial Smile.
Status: Complete.

Shouting Under My Breath.

The part I haven't figured out yet

Image

“So I was thinking, maybe you could come over the flat me and mates are sharing while we’re in California.” Dan said while sitting on the edge of Sparrow’s bed. He was tapping his hands to rhythm to of the music that Sparrow had just put on.

“You still do that.” She smirked and sat next to him on the bed. “I still do what?’

“Tap your hands along to the beat of music.” She said while demonstrating what she was talking about. “Yes I do love and no changing the subject. Will you come over to my flat tonight and hang out with the guys?” He asked giving her a crooked smile that always goes weak in the knees.

“Do you really think the guys want to hang out with me?” She asked.

“Yeah they do. When they found out you were the one I was spending all my time with again, they told me selfish and share you.”

“Yeah I’ll come over.”

“Let’s go then love.” He said standing up. Sparrow got up and walked over to her closet to grab a jacket and saw Dan’s jacket at the bottom of her closet. “Here you go. You left this in my car the other day.” She said handing his jacket back to him. “I didn’t even realize it was missing.” He said taking the jacket and slipping it on.

Dan drove the two of them to the place him and the guys were living in while they were in California. ”Bout time you share her.” Matt said pulling Sparrow into a hug as soon as they entered the flat.

“We never see you anymore, and Miss Sparrow I’ve missed you.” Max said. “I’m sorry my life doesn’t revolve around you blokes.”

“Damn right you better be sorry.” Matt joked while releasing Sparrow from his hold. “So how are you doing love?” Max asked pulling her into a hug. “I’m doing well.” She smiled when she looked over at Dan to find annoyed look on his face.

“Always so proper love.” Matt said smiling. “Hey Josh and Chris you might want to come in here. Dan decided he would finally bring Sparrow over.” Max shouted.

“If you want to leave I completely understand.” Dan whispered into her ear. “Why would I want to leave? I haven’t seen them in two years.” She smiled.

“Sparrow love.” Josh said pulling her into a hug and lifting her up. “Hello Josh.” She smiled as he spun around while hugging her. “Can you please share her?” Chris asked as Josh put her down. “Hi Chris.” She said hugging him.

“Alright Sparrow are you ready to get proper fucked?” Max asked. “I guess.” She said unsure. “Max are you’re not even old enough to drink.”

“Shh nobody has to know love.” He said walking into the kitchen where they had all the alcohol.

It didn’t take many drinks for Sparrow to be tipsy. The guys had put music on in the living room. With a drink in her hand her and Max were dancing around the living to the music having a blast. It didn’t take long before Josh joined them.

Everything about this moment reminded her of her summer with Dan. She was having so much fun and she felt completely care free. She could just enjoy the moment and dance around with the guys.

“So what’s going on with you two?” Matt asked sitting on the couch next to Dan. “Nothing.” Dan said taking a drink of his beer. “What do you mean nothing?”
“Mean she has a boyfriend and we're just friends.” He said as he watched the girl he was still in love with dance around with Max and Josh. “You know you don’t have to be jealous of Max and Josh.” Chris said out of nowhere. “Why do you think I’m jealous of them?”

“Because they’re dancing with Sparrow. You could very easily change that and get up and dance with her.” Chris smirked before taking a drink of his beer. “Dan please come dance with me.” The almost drunk girl asked. “Love I’m no good at dancing.” He said shaking his head. “Oh come on Dan we used to have so much fun dancing.” She said grabbing his hand and pulling him up.

The dancing started out innocent like it was with Max and Josh, but next thing Sparrow knew she was close to Dan and had her arms warped around his neck dancing to the beat of music.

Dan felt like time just froze and he and Sparrow were the only people in the room as they danced together. Everything about the moment was perfect outside the fact that Sparrow wasn’t his. She belonged to Nate. As they continued to dance they were got dangerously close. Dan’s breath caught when his lips were only an inch apart from Sparrow’s. Their blue eyes met and they knew what was going to happen unless one of them pulled away.

“I need another drink.” She said moving away from Dan quickly.

Dan ran his hands through his hair not really sure what to say or do. He almost kissed Sparrow, and if she would have moved away it would have happened. With out really even thinking Sparrow grabbed the whiskey and poured some into a shot glass and took a shot. She was in shock over the fact that she just kissed Dan. She need to let loose some more.

“Somebody is trying to get fucked up.” Josh said smiling as he walked into the kitchen. “I guess I am.” She said as she mixed herself another drink. Dan leaned against the wall trying to figure out what just about happened, and what was going to happen now.

“There’s enough sexual tension between you and Sparrow to cut it with a butter knife.” Matt said giving him a smirk. “Could you please not point out the obvious right now.”

“But it’s so fun.”

“Shut the fuck up.”

“Sorry.” He laughed.

About an hour later Sparrow was lying on the couch with her head in Dan’s lap smiling as Max, Matt, and Chris were playing Xbox 360. Dan aimlessly played with her hair as she drifted in and out sleep. Dan saw her breathing pattern steady out letting him know she was sleep. “I’m going to let her sleep in my bed tonight, and I’ll sleep on the couch.” Dan said to Josh. “Whatever you want to do, it’s your bed.” Josh said as Dan picked Sparrow up bridal style. He walked down the hallway holding her small body like it was nothing, and Josh right behind him so he could open Dan and his room.

The second Josh got the door opened he went back to the living to watch the guys play.
As Dan laid Sparrow down she woke up. “Dan I don’t want to go to bed.” She said like a small child.

“Love you were asleep.”

“Dan I don’t want to take your bed.” She said sitting up.

“Believe me its fine.”

“Dan did you want to kiss me earlier?” Her question caught him completely off guard. He couldn’t lie to her; he did want to kiss her. “Yes I did love.” He said sitting on the edge of the bed next to her.

“Why didn’t we?”

“Because we can’t.” He ran his hand through his blond hair.

“Yes we can.” She said lean closer to him. “Love you have no clue how bad I want to kiss, but I can promise you are drunk and you will regret this in the morning.” She laid down feeling completely rejected.

“Hey I didn’t reject you. I want to kiss you; I’m not going to because I know you’ll regret it in the morning.” He said while covering her up and kissing her cheek.

“Night Dan.” She said closing her eyes. “Goodnight Sparrow.” He said walking out into the hallway. “Did you get her tucked in?” Josh asked Dan as he walked over and sat on the couch.

“Yeah I did, and she tried to kiss me.”

“Did you kiss her?”

“No, because I knew she’s drunk and she’ll regret it in the morning.” He said before taking a drink of his beer.

“You got more will power then I do, because I promise you I would have kissed her.”

“I don’t know how I didn’t.”

Sparrow sat on her bed staring at her phone. She was praying a certain number would appear on her phone at any moment.
“Sparrow when was the last time you talked to Dan?” Alice asked. “I haven’t talked to him in over three months.”

“Why don’t you call that guy Nate that gave you his number the other day?”

“I don’t even know if I’m still his girlfriend.”

“Honey you’re really not.” Alice said pulling her into a hug as she started crying.

“I was so crazy to think that I could make this relationship work.”


Sparrow woke up to the sound of the TV in the living room. She looked over in the bed next to hers to find a sleep Josh.

She walked down the hallway lightly to see a shirtless Dan in the kitchen making some coffee.

“Morning love.” Dan said the moment he said her.

“Morning.”

“Would you like some coffee?” He said pouring himself a glass. “Yes please.”

“You sure had fun last night.” He said handing her a cup of coffee. “Yeah I did.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title and picture lyrics from You Me At Six's No One Does It Better
* So she meets the boys again. I really don't know what else to say other then that.
* Please don't be a silent reader please comment.
* I want to thank xoxo_aj_xoxo.