Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

026

Back inside the Merrick household, Zack was attempting to get Chloe to eat. She was steadfastly refusing. In fact, she wasn’t even moving. Zack sighed.

“I know what seeing him did to you, Chloe. Please, just eat for me. I just…I can’t fail you anymore.” Chloe looked at her cousin. His eyes were brimming with tears. Chloe felt her heart break.

“You’ve never failed me, Mop. It’s my fault. I’m sorry.”

“No, Chloe. It’s not your fault. I’m supposed to be there for you. I’m supposed to protect you. And I screwed it up. So please, eat. Please.”

A single tear dripped from his hazel eyes and Chloe reached up to wipe it away with a skinny finger. She grabbed a handful of chips from the plate with her other hand and began eating. He gave her a watery smile.

“Thank you.”

“I love you, Mop.” Chloe murmured, snuggling closer to her cousin.

Chloe ate another handful of chips and half of the grilled cheese sandwich. She slurped a few spoonfuls of tomato soup, Zack smiling the entire time. Even though Chloe felt disgusted with herself with each bite she took, it was worth seeing Zack smile at her like that. Like he was proud. It made her feel like she had actually done something right for once.

She had just dozed off when Zack glanced at the clock and realized it was already 2:40. He gently nudged Chloe awake. She looked around blearily. Zack helped her stand and led her to the car. Chloe was still half-asleep when they pulled up in front of her house. Her mother’s car was already there. Seeing it sent a jolt of adrenaline through Chloe and she instantly woke up.

“I have your bag.” He picked up the backpack from the back seat.

“I love you, Zack. It’s going to be okay.” Chloe smiled shakily at her cousin. She turned to exit the car but a soft pressure on her shoulder stopped her. She looked back at Zack.

“Don’t go, Chloe. Come back to the house.” Chloe sighed.

“I can’t, Zack. I’m sorry, I just can’t. I love you.”

“I love you, too, Bo.”

With one last fleeting glance at Zack, Chloe left the car and disappeared inside. Zack took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. He couldn’t stand the thought of Chloe living in that house anymore. It just meant she was that much closer to Marcus. And his aunt and uncle were awful. Chloe deserved much better than them. But he couldn’t force her out. He had tried it once and the result had almost destroyed both of them. He shook his head and drove back home, making sure his phone was turned as loud as possible. If Chloe needed him, he wanted to be sure she reached him.

Chloe watched Zack drive away, guilt eating away at her chest. She was such a rotten person. With a sigh, she silently eased the door open and came face to face with her mother.

“Hello, Mother.”

“I cannot believe the nerve of you, Chloe Marie. How dare you continue to spread such lies about Marcus!”

“I didn’t.”

“And now you’re lying to me.” Her mother’s eyes darkened. “I won’t have this in my house, Chloe. Go to your room and stay there. Marcus is on his way over and I expect you to stop this nonsense and apologize.”

“Yes, Mother.” Chloe whispered meekly.

With a final harsh glare from the woman that had birthed her, Chloe raced up the stairs. She turned the lock on her door and dug through her bag. It had been far too long since she’s had a smoke.

Her window screen popped out easily and Chloe clambered onto the roof. She lit up a cigarette and took a deep drag on the stick. The tobacco swept through her system and Chloe smiled contentedly. She chain smoked her way through half of her pack of Royals before she caught sight of Marcus’ familiar car driving towards her house. A cold flash of panic slipped into her body for a moment, but she banished it quickly. Chloe quickly crawled back into her room. It was then that she realized she was still wearing Alex’s clothing and the panic settled in once more.

Chloe stripped, almost ripping the tights she had on, and shimmied into her own clothing. Without even thinking about it, she had dressed in one of Marcus’ favorite outfits. It was just seconds after she had hidden the zip-up under her mattress that her door knob twisted.

“Chloe, open the door.” Came Marcus’ low voice from the other side of the wood.

Chloe took a deep breath to steady her heartbeat. She had to be strong. She couldn’t show Marcus that she was weak. She quickly unlocked the door and opened it before Marcus could get angry. He pulled her into a hug and Chloe stiffened at his touch. He tightened his arms and she forced herself to relax.

“I’m sorry.” Chloe mumbled into his chest.

“I know. We’re just going to have to work through this, okay? We can fix it.” Chloe nodded numbly. “I love that dress on you.” He whispered huskily in her ear.

Chloe felt his hands trail underneath the hem of her dress. They encircled her thighs and squeezed roughly. Chloe didn’t fight it. Marcus moved to cup her ass and pressed his lips to hers in a fierce kiss. Chloe responded the way he wanted her to and felt him smile on her lips. She tried not to cry out as he bit her lip, breaking the skin. After a few more moments he pulled away.

“We’re going out.”

“Okay.”

“Go put on the heels I like. And fix your lipstick. And for God’s sake, Chloe, cover up your neck. Bruises aren’t attractive.”

Chloe did as instructed. Marcus smiled and dragged her out to his car. He knew he had her then, hook, line and sinker. Chloe may have gotten away once, but Marcus knew she’d be back. And this time he was going to make sure she never left again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in one day, like a boss. This is what happens when my dad leaves me to go on a business trip for three days. Here is an example of what I look like right now:
Image
It's not a pretty sight.

Thanks to my fantastic commenters!:
new_yorkxo and Helpless (Maury just makes me feel so much better about my life. I can't get enough of it haha)

Chloe