Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 20

“Kass!” Alanna came and jumped on me, but not before realizing I’d seen what they were talking about it.

“You saw,”

“Yeah. It’s whatever, I don’t care,” I told her, and she gave me an unconvinced look. Jesse looked over and saw, before turning to me.

“You and Staalsy a thing?” he asked, and I shook my head.

“No, just friends,” I assured him, giving Alanna and Eric pointed looks.

“Good; then you’re mine for tonight,” he grinned at me, and I felt myself blush a little.

“Um… I—”

“No obligations my fair lady,” he told me, and I had to laugh at his over dramatic bow as he reached for my hand, lifting his eyebrows playfully and making me laugh.

“Sure,” I allowed, and he wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on top of my head.

“Everybody’s going to be jealous of us Eric,” he grinned at his teammate, who nodded with his arm around Alanna’s waist. I caught Jared’s eye as we all walked out towards the deck for some air, and saw him look between Jesse and me, obviously unsure as to what was going on.

“Shit,” Jesse grumbled as we got out to the deck.

“What?”

“Staalsy looked like he wanted to rip my head off… you sure you two are just friends?” he asked, and again I nodded. He nodded, and then pulled me in a little closer to his body. It was cold outside, and while the fresh winter air felt nice at first I was shivering now.

“Let’s go back inside before you catch a cold,” Jesse decided, gently guiding me with his arm and body. I nodded, not about to object, and he led me into the living room, finding a spot on the couch and pulling me to sit on his lap. I felt my face turn bright red, but I gladly curled into his body heat. The fresh air must have sobered him up a bit, because he wasn’t slurring his words or acting quite as out there as he had been earlier.

“He looks a little pissed…” he commented, and I saw Jared outright staring at us from his place standing against the wall with a few other guys.

“He can get over it,” I said, surprising myself.

“Well, serves him right; he made out with that chick like right in front of you. I’m surprised you aren’t pissed as hell,” he replied, and I shrugged.

“We aren’t—”

“Whatever you are or aren’t there’s something going on. I’m not stupid,” he cut me off, and chuckled when my face turned a little pink.

“Serious, nothing is going on. He almost kissed me, realized he’d made a huge mistake and we haven’t really talked since,” I said, and then clapped a hand over my mouth as I realized I hadn’t really told anybody besides Alanna the whole story.

“I’ll say he made a huge mistake,”

“What?” my voice was quiet and timid as Jesse turned towards me.

“His mistake was letting you get away,” he whispered before pressing his lips to mine. I was too shocked to react for a moment, before I gently kissed him back. He rested his forehead on mine, and as it hit me what had just happened I could feel my face turning red.

“Don’t get all embarrassed – it’s okay,” Jesse teased, making me laugh and slightly helping my uncertainty.

“Except for the part where I think I’m going to get my ass kicked at practice on Sunday,” he said a minute later, and as I turned heard the slam of the front door.

“What…?”

“He just stormed out,” Jesse said, biting his lip slightly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think he’d—”

“No – no apologies. He’s a big boy, he can handle himself,” I assured him, and even found the courage somewhere to lightly peck his lips once more, bringing and easy grin to his features.

“Yes ma’am,” he replied, and I curled into him again as we continued talking.