Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 19

We pulled up to the house, the music already loud and the party looked to be in just about full swing. We walked in, and just as I’d feared I didn’t really know anybody there, until I saw Jared. I struggled to keep my face from turning red as he gave me a half-smile and waved shyly. I nodded, not sure how to respond to him, and then Alanna grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the kitchen, thankfully, and away from him.

“You’ve gotta just talk to him or something Kass, I hate seeing you like this,” she sighed, and I shrugged.

“I’m fine Allie, don’t worry about me,”

“But I do, I see the way you two look at each other, it’s almost sickening,” she rolled her eyes, and I snorted.

“Like the way you stare at Eric?” I teased, and got smacked in the shoulder in response.

“What about me?” we turned to see him walking into the kitchen, a drink in hand and an easy smile on his face. He was a really cool guy, he was just a little quiet most times. Apparently the alcohol helped him loosen up, and a lot as he walked up and put an arm around each of us.

“Just wondering where you were,” I said, and Alanna mouthed a thank you to me.

“Well, would you two beautiful ladies like to dance?” he asked, and we both thought it sounded like fun, so we followed him to the living room and joined the ten or twelve other people who were dancing.

“Damn Eric! Where’d you find those two?” Matt Dias asked, and both of us blushed as Eric just grinned.

“My secret,” he responded, and we both had to chuckle a little bit. We continued to dance with him, and ended up dancing with a few other guys on the team; Stevan, Collin and Patrik. They were all nice guys, and we were having a lot of fun. Eric and Alanna were getting a little cuddly; both having had a few drinks and feeling a little more brave than usual.

“Hi,” I turned and saw Jared standing there, looking slightly uncomfortable.

“Hey,”

“I’m glad you came,” he offered, and I nodded, wrapping my arms around myself.

“Thanks?” I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that, and he took another breath.

“Um, could we, uh, talk?” he asked, and I was about to say yes when two other girls from school came and all but threw themselves on him.

“Come dance with us!” they shrieked, and he tried to shake them off, sending me an apologetic glance, but they were more than determined, and so I told him I’d talk to him later, walking towards the kitchen and leaving him to dance with the girls.

Jesse came over and we talked for a bit; the defenseman more than a little intoxicated as he tried to wrap an arm around my waist. Finally he settled for an arm around my shoulders, and I had to admit he was fun to just talk to and be around.

“God, do you think she saw?” I heard Alanna, and my head snapped up as I looked for her.

“I don’t know,” Eric answered, and as I looked for them saw the two girls wrapped around Jared, the blonde with her tongue all but down his throat.