Kid A

Nine.

I woke up that morning rather hazy. The clock showed that it was 11:00 in red numbers that glared at me but I still held the feeling that it was too early. Thom was next to me and he looked like a mess, but I couldn’t place why. Honestly I couldn’t even remember why I was sleeping next to Thom in my own bed, because the last thing I remember was leaving his house to go out for dinner the previous evening…
It should’ve hit me then and there that drinking was involved and he took me along this time, but I never drink and I often forget that it’s Thom’s way of dealing with his troubles. I figured that might explain everything, but I still wasn’t sure. I just wasn’t sure what happened, and what was going to happen now that I couldn’t remember anything.
My head was pounding and I felt sick to my stomach. I did something bad, I knew that much, and it scared me.
---
Thom was still fast asleep when I went downstairs and made us tea. For some reason I felt dizzy and I felt clumsy and I felt like I could do anything all at the same time. I had lost some part of functioning and it threw me off, but not bad enough that I wasn’t aware of it, so I kept it in the back of my mind and continued waiting for our English Breakfast tea to brew.
A good 15 minutes later, Thom stumbled down the stairs and proceeded to trip over himself a couple of times while making his way over to me. “Good morning, Thom.” I smiled.
“Jon-Jon.” He looked at me for a second before wrapping his arms around me rather tightly.
“Um, Thom? I, uh, I made you some tea… Two sugar cubes, just like you like it.” I beckoned to the mug sitting on the counter
He buried his face into my chest for a minute. “Mm… I love you, Jonny.”
I kissed his forehead softly, though I was still incredibly confused at the situation. “I love you too, Thom…” I bit my lip, “but um…”
He stepped back and looked at me, “But what, Jon-Jon?”
“Um… doesn’t something seem kind of… off?”
Thom continued to stare at me.
“Y-you know… Right now… You’re acting strangely, Thom.”
He smiled softly and gave me a kiss, “Jonny, it’s okay. Just come here.”
I grabbed my tea and took a sip. “Thom, can we just sit down and drink our tea for now? It’s so early and… and the timing just seems so wrong for me right now. I’m sorry Thom I’m just really confused this morning…”
He nodded and sat at the bar with me, drinking his tea. “Jonny, you know you’re the best right?”
I smiled shyly. “That’s hardly true. I just do what I can.”
“Well I think it’s the best.” Thom took another sip of his tea.
---
A good hour went by with Thom acting really weird before Ed decided to show up out of the blue. Thom walked up and greeted him with a hug, and I just hung back a bit.
Ed turned to me. “Jonny, is he alright?”
“I don’t know. I can’t remember anything. Ed, do you know?”
“Do I know what?”
“Why Thom has been so weird this morning.”
“You were with him all night last night, not me.”
At this point Thom had left and was napping on my couch, with the radio quietly playing in the background. I walked back into the kitchen and motioned for Ed to follow. “I don’t know, Ed. I’m getting really worried, I can’t remember a lot of last night…”
He frowned. “Has he gotten you to start drinking now too, Jonny?”
“No no!” I closed my eyes tightly. “I would never. Not since what happened when I was a kid. Not ever.”
“Wait, what happened when you were a kid?”
I shrugged. “I don’t know. I tried drinking because my parents let me and it was really gross so I’ve just never wanted to. It wasn’t that I got hurt, the taste just turned me off from it I guess...”
Ed frowned. “That’s interesting.”
“Anyway, would you like some tea?”
“Is it that weird mint herbal stuff you always make?”
“No it’s normal English Breakfast… But I can make another kind if you want. I have mint or I have white and green fusion, or I have another blend of green tea too…” my voice trailed, “and I have chamomile too but I think that would be weird to have in the early afternoon…”
Ed laughed. “English Breakfast is good, Jonny.”
I smiled and gave him a cup that was still steaming. “Here are some sugar cubes if you want.”
“Thanks,” he smiled.
I smiled back. “You’re welcome. I’m just glad you guys actually like it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Another subscriber??
Thank you so much!! <3