We Can't Wake Up

Did you kill her?

Marcus walked almost eagerly towards the train. Desperate to get away from his guardians, desperate to get back to his home.

The body of Maria had been found two days ago in the river not very far from her home. Many people talked about it in hushed whispers on Platform Nine and Three Quarters. It was reported in a muggle newspaper that a young girl of sixteen had killed herself. In The Daily Prophet it was also reported that she had killed herself. There seemed to be no other explanation. She was clearly not killed by any killing curse and she had been found face down in the river.

Matthew was quiet as they sat in the compartment. Richard and Arnold talked quietly in one corner. Marcus sat silent next to the window, impatient for the train to start moving.

Eventually it did move, the wheels slowly started up and with a jolt, the train was on its way back to Hogwarts.

“How was your holiday Marcus?” Arnold asked finally after an hour of awkward silence.

“Long,” Marcus replied simply.

“Matthew?” Arnold prodded tentatively.

Matthew looked at him for the first time since he had boarded the train. “What do you think Arnold? Do you think I had a good holiday? How could I when Maria….” his voice trailed off. His eyes went to Marcus’ face. Marcus looked at him quietly, saying nothing. “It’s all your fault Marcus,” Matthew whispered suddenly. “If you hadn’t of been…….she wouldn’t have…..” he paused and drew a deep breath. “Marcus, I hate you,” he spat. Matthew stood and walked out taking his things with him.

Marcus went back to staring out of the window. No-one made any move to run after Matthew. No-one spoke of him again.

Marcus did not see Anne until lunch the next day. He found her pacing in the clearing as he walked there.

“Something wrong?” he asked, he could only too clearly remember the last time their conversation had started like this.

“Did you kill Maria?” Anne asked bluntly, looking him directly in the eye.

Marcus kept his face blank, “No.” he said quietly. “Did you think I did?”

“I wasn’t sure,” Anne replied truthfully. “You said that she annoyed you and then suddenly she is dead. I just heard rumors…..”

“You listen to gossip far too much,” Marcus whispered.

Anne looked down at the gap between them. Marcus longed to reach out and take her in his arms, but he could not. Not until they had finished this conversation.

“I know,” Anne said quietly, her voice shaking slightly. “But I can’t help it Marcus. Everything they say sounds so real.” she paused and raised her head to look at him. “I’m sorry Marcus,” She stepped forwards and wrapped her arms around his neck. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered again and again.

Marcus wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her tightly against him. He lifted her chin and pressed his lips against hers. He could sense her eagerness as they kissed and he had to fight to stop his own eagerness flowing through untapped.

A sharp crack of a twig caused them to jump apart. Marcus turned quickly so that Anne was shielded behind him. When he turned he came face with Matthew.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?
>.<