We Can't Wake Up

Something Inside

The night came quickly for Marcus. His thoughts were occupied with what Anne had said. “But I also know that I love you; and I hate myself for it.”

The words tortured him. She hates herself because she loves me. She hates herself! He didn’t know if it was because he had tortured her or because he had remained indifferent the entire time. Maybe it was because of both. She loved him and hated herself for it because he could torture her without even thinking about it.

Not entirely true. He had been thinking about it ever since and it was killing him. This confused him thoroughly. Why should he care about some stupid girl? He was the most wanted boy in the school; he could have any girl he wanted. Why did he have to choose this one?

Marcus woke the next day after very little sleep. Everyone had already gone down to breakfast. Marcus dressed slowly and walked out of the common room and to his first class. He got there without even having to think about it, which was lucky as his mind was again pre-occupied with what had happened yesterday.

Transfiguration was a bore. Anne sat in the seat infront of him and he could not keep his eyes of her.

“Marcus? Would you care to come and demonstrate?” Professor Davies asked from the front of the classroom. Marcus looked at the slight Professor as if she were a retard.

“Of course,” he replied politely. He stood and walked to the front of the classroom.

“Now, I want you to transform this owl into a book.” Professor Davies continued in a chirpy voice.

Marcus stared at the white owl. He flicked his wand and with a cloud of smoke it transformed into a book.

Professor Davies smiled tightly, “Yes, well done Marcus. Could you please turn it back, saying the spell.”

Marcus nodded in a bored fashion gave another flick of his wand, muttered the incantation and the owl appeared again.

Professor Davies clapped and sent him back to his seat. Marcus’ eyes locked with Anne’s as he walked past. She gave him a tiny smile, barely visible. Marcus narrowed his eyes and deliberately fixed his gaze upon her friend, Amelia Narrow.

Anne lowered her gaze as Amelia giggled girlishly as Marcus looked at her. Amelia turned in her seat and smiled at Marcus as he sat in his own seat. He held her gaze momentarily, blinked and looked out the window.

Marcus walked down to the lake again at lunch; a small part of him hoped that Anne would follow him down again. Perhaps they could go to the clearing. He shook his head minimally, trying to get rid of the thoughts.

“Hi Marcus,” A girl giggled.

Marcus looked up, it was Amelia. Why was she here? Marcus looked her up and down as if she were some animal that he meant to purchase. She took that as a cue to sit down. She very nearly sat in his lap. Marcus groaned inwardly.

Amelia started to babble on as if she had known Marcus his entire life. Soon, she placed her hand on his and giggled as she said sorry, like it had been an accident.

Marcus fixed his cold stare upon her face. Her words dried up immediately.

“S – S – Something wrong Marcus?” she stuttered.

The cold gaze intensified as Marcus narrowed his eyes. Amelia hurriedly stood and ran off. Marcus leant his head against the trunk of the tree and glared at the clear sky above him.

He heard a snort beside him and he turned to see Anne standing over him. She had her eyebrows raised and her hands rested on her hips.

“So, now you’ve gone and hurt one of my friends,” Anne glared at him. “You really are worthless. I honestly don’t know why I am even here….”

“Then go,” Marcus muttered darkly, his eyes boring into Anne’s unnervingly.

Anne looked away, unable to hold the gaze. She said nothing more, but sat down.

“Go!” Marcus yelled.

Anne turned and glared at him. “I will not be ordered by you. You cannot control…” she trailed off as Marcus started to smile slightly.

He had taken his wand from his pocket and flicked it at her. Anne’s eyes went blank and she stood and left without another word. When she reached the school buildings again, Marcus pocketed his wand. Anne stopped and turned to look around her and then back at him. He knew what she was thinking. He could control her anytime he wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was able to update sooner than I thought I would.
Hope you enjoy and comments appreciated
:D