*** in the Dark

Jada

We huddled close as the rustling got closer and closer. I dug my nails into Marty’s arm as he held me near. I heard him draw in breath and slowly I was able to see what was heading for us. I almost screamed at what I saw.

A large black dog was standing about five metres away from us. Saliva frothed from its low hanging jowls and its eyes glittered cruelly. A low and menacing growl rumbled deep within its throat as it bared it sharp yellow teeth. It hunched close to the ground, the fur on its haunches bristling with hateful anticipation.

I let out a frightened squeak and the dog locked its eyes on me. I tried to scream but my throat was tight with terror. I dug my fingers into Marty’s arm as the dog slunk toward us, its mouth seemingly turned up in a twisted grin. I felt his arms tighten around my waist as I buried my head into his shoulder, awaiting the harsh bite of this wild mutt.

Suddenly a loud banging sound filled the air. I looked up to see the sky filled with sweet shining lights of home. We looked at the dog, whose ears were flattened against its skull and was now growling at the sky. Without warning Marty clapped his hands loudly together. With a high pitched squeal the dog turned tail and ran into the thick trees.

Quickly Marty scrambled to his feet and with a grunt he hauled me up after him. He grabbed me by the shoulders, his eyes blazing into mine.

“I love you Jada. I fucking love you.”

With that he pulled me into a kiss and we stood there, wrapped in each other’s arms, not wanting to let go.

Finally he released me. I looked up at him and actually managed to smile.

“I fucking love you too.”

He laughed softly and entwined his fingers with mine and pulled me towards the glittering sparks of safety.

We ran, branches whipping against my arms and face. I could feel leaves and twigs getting caught up in my hair, but I honestly couldn’t care less. We were almost home. I could picture my house now; its soft carpets, water and most importantly the phone. The sweet phone! Our connection with civilisation, our saviour! With this thought I ran faster, faster than I ever thought was possible in six inch heels. Just then a rock appeared in my path and I sprawled onto the ground, landing on my hands and knees. Marty quickly bent and helped me up. I brushed myself off and as we were about to continue on our way, we heard something.

“Did you hear that?” I asked, biting my lip.

“I...I think so...” replied Marty warily.

We stood there waiting and suddenly it came again:

“Murder in the dark!”

I looked at Marty, my eyes wide and staring.

“Oh my god...” I whispered.

Without a word he grabbed my hand and pulled me in the direction of the yelling.

We all but flew through the trees and eventually broke through to where we had dropped the water balloons. Laying on the ground surrounded by the small coloured bits of plastic was Riley.

Her throat was slashed open and I could see the blotches of red where she had been stabbed multiple times in the stomach. He eyes were rolled back in her head and blood was smeared all over her face and through her ash blonde hair.

I put my hand to my mouth in shock and the only thing I could think about was Johnny.

They had been together so he couldn’t be far.

“Johnny?” I called out nervously.

Marty caught on and began to call out too. We moved warily around where Riley lay but couldn’t see anything.

“We should just keep going. We know the way from here.” Marty said rationally.

I nodded and we continued our way towards the house.

Without warning I fell over again.

“Goddamn!” I yelled, frustrated.

I got to my feet and went to carry on towards safety when I noticed Marty wasn’t moving.

“Marty?” I called softly.

He didn’t react and I followed his gaze to where it was rested on a clump of scrub. That’s when I saw what I had tripped over.

A hand lay limp and blood covered just in my path and when I looked in the scrub I saw Johnny’s body, his shirt stained red and his eyes vacant.

I didn’t know how to react.

Three of my best friends had been killed in little over an hour. This was crazy.
Before I could do anything though, Marty grabbed my hand and pulled me through the trees.
Soon we reached my backyard. Brightly lit and familiar.

I let out a cry of happiness and dropped to my knees. I dug my fingers into the ground, tears streaming down my face. I looked up at Marty who was looking around warily. I got back to my feet and stood next to him. I took his hand in mine and looked around.

Every single light was on, but there was not a sign of movement. The silence was deafening and I gripped Marty’s hand tighter as we looked around at the brightly lit, bloodstained yard.
I looked around gaping. Blood stained the grass and back sliding door. I saw it lead around the house toward the back entrance to the theatre. Marty pulled me close and put his mouth to my ear.

“We should split up.” He whispered sadly.

With this said I flung my arms around him, yelling at him to not be stupid. Gently he pried me away from him and explained that it would be easier to find the others this way. I looked at him, my eyebrows furrowed in frustration. Had he not learnt anything from the countless horror movies we had watched together? Splitting up was the worst thing we could do, but yet I found myself nodding in agreement with Marty’s idea.

So we headed in opposite directions, him towards the theatre area and me toward the front yard. As I walked I looked around shiftily, not liking the way the shadows seemed to move in twisted dance steps. I noticed that a light frost had covered the lawn since we had last been here and my steps tracked small footprints on the grass. This put me at unease even more seeing as now I was traceable.

Just then I heard a movement to my right. I whirled in that direction and almost screamed as a shadowy figure loomed towards me.

“Jada?” a soft voice inquired.

“Yes...is that you Jason?”

“Yeah.” He replied, stepping into the light.

“Oh thank god!” I breathed, running over to hug my friend. “Where’s Belle?” I asked, once we had pulled away.

“We split up to search for you guys...where’s Marty?”

“We split up too.”

“Oh ok, well let’s see if we can find the other two.” he said smiling.

“Ok.”

We began to head in the direction I had just come. It was silent as we walked. I guess neither
of us had much to say. There was a heavy tension in the air as we both realised that we could be in the presence of the killer. We didn’t know for sure that it was some random psycho...if anything it was one of us. I kept my eyes firmly on the path ahead, not wanting Jason to see the suspicion in them. I had my hands by my sides, balled into tight, nervous fists. I inhaled the cold air deeply, trying to calm myself. I felt so fragile. My mind was whirling with crazy thoughts and suspicions. I shook my head, trying to clear it. It didn’t work. I could feel myself beginning to tear up and I tried desperately to hold them back, but failed.

“Are you ok?” asked Jason, concern in his voice.

“Yeah, yeah. Just a bit shaken up.” I replied, nodding and wiping my eyes.

He hugged me, squeezing me tight and I wished more than anything I had Marty here to hold me. I wanted nothing more than for Jason to let me go. Finally he did and I gave him a tight, forced smiled. He smiled back, letting it easily light up his face. But soon enough it slid from his features as we heard a high pitched scream.

“Belle.” We said, looking at each other.

With that we ran, Jason almost galloping and me forcing myself to move and face whatever hideous horror lay ahead.

We reached Belle in what seemed like hours but what were really only a few minutes. We saw her, on her knees leaning over someone. I began to run towards her but stopped in my tracks when I saw who it was.

Marty.

I began to shake as I watched her clinging to his shirt and placing kisses on his face. I walked up to her and grabbed the back of her dress, yanking her up. She spun to me and I was about to let her have it when I saw her fully.

Her white dress was covered in blood. It was almost completely soaked. I could see where it was sticking to her skin in places. Blood was clumped in her hair, staining the blonde tresses a deadly crimson. Her lips were surrounded by smudges of blood, giving her the look of a wild cannibal. I put my hand to my mouth in shock.

“I’m so sorry Jada. I didn’t mean to. I just saw him laying there and my emotions were already crazy. I just kind of lost it. It wasn’t how it looked, we were all really close. It was just a shock...a really big shock.” Stammered Belle.

I nodded, not knowing what to say. I looked at Jason who was looking at Belle with an almost angry look on his face. I didn’t think anything of it. Instead I turned to the now limp Marty.

Dropping to my knees, I placed my hands on his chest. I looked at his face, which was now pale and pasty. I could see the small blood stains from where Belle had been kissing him. I could feel Belle and Jason looking at me.

“Just leave.” I growled.

I waited until I was sure they were gone before I started to cry. I buried my head into Marty’s shoulder and let my tears soak into his already blood stained shirt. I moved my mouth to his and kissed him softly. Just then his lips moved under mine. I squealed and jumped back a little bit. I looked down at him, my eyebrows furrowed. He looked back at me, his mouth in a half smile.

“Oh my god, Marty!” I cried, lifting him so he was cradled in my lap.

“Jada”, he croaked.

I shushed him. “You need to save your strength.”

“Jada, I love you.”

“I know, I know. I love you too.” I whispered furiously, tears streaming down my face.

I stroked his hair and held him close, not wanting to let go.

Just then a loud commotion caught my attention. It was coming from the theatre.

I looked towards the noise then back to Marty’s dying face. Slowly I propped him against a nearby tree. He looked at me, his eyes misty with tears. I slowly wrapped my arms around him and whispered in his ear how much I loved him and that I would come back soon. He kept trying to tell me something but I hushed him. I stood and looked upon his limp body and he looked up at me and opened his mouth to say something. A small trickling of blood dripped down the corner of his mouth and I let out a sob. I bent and kissed his forehead, stroking his hair. Slowly I stood and turned toward the theatre, the sound of Marty’s whistling breath the last thing in my ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
my chapter bro :3
comments would be super .