In a Heartbeat

Chapter Eighteen

Brian’s POV

Things were progressing well for me. Matthew barely visited Evangeline because of the dangers of travelling, and Evangeline’s father did not dare risk his daughter leaving his safety. This led to Evangeline having a lot more time available to spend with me, even if it meant remaining in her room all day while I pretended to clean. She was a delight to speak casually with, and the more time we spent together, the more intimate we became, both emotionally and physically. We had progressed to what appeared to me as a very passionate level of a relationship, and I often found myself sneaking out of the slave sleeping quarters to be warm with her in her bed during the freezing winter nights. Sometimes we spent hours wearing little amounts of clothing and lying in blankets on the floor in front of her fireplace, surrounded by candles. We held onto each other like there was no tomorrow, and her petite body fit perfectly into my arms. Eva’s scent was so intoxicating as well. I easily became lost in the romance in the sweet moments we shared. It was hard to believe I had to share her with another man, and that she was set to marry him in a few months.

Despite the wonderful moments I shared with the woman I loved, the frustration of Matthew grew in the back of my mind every day. I loathed how I was so helpless, that I had absolutely no power to do something to deter him from my woman. It was his wedding soon, not mine, and he was winning this horrid fight for Evangeline. I knew there was only one person I could talk to, so I went to see him after lunch one day. My stress needed to be alleviated, and I knew James could do that. I spotted him in his garden pruning a short plant and occasionally adding a flower to a pile on the ground that sat on a clean blanket. It took me a while to stroll through his garden, but I eventually reached him. James was engrossed completely in his task and didn’t notice my presence until I touched his shoulder.

“Brian! You shocked me!” he beamed. “How are you?”

“I am- Well…” I began, suddenly finding words hard. James stood and surveyed the area quickly. He then popped back down and continued his handy work on the plant.

“The Matthew issue? Harder to accept now that it is closer?” he suggested, practically reading my mind.

“I am at a loss of what to do, James. You know I love her, and you know that I have been making progress, but what am I gaining from this? It has recently struck me that I am to not obtain anything at all, save for a broken heart in a short time from now. The stupid Prince is going to take her away from me, and there is nothing I can do!” I confessed, my voice raising in volume and turning into a growl at the end. James narrowed his eyes at me, reminding me to keep quiet, but it only made me more frustrated at myself.

“I understand. I can see how conflicting it is for you,” James said softly and calmly as he stood and moved along to another blooming plant. “Have you two discussed any sort of resolution before the marriage? Is there anything that can be done so you are not secretly sharing your loved one?”

“No, we have not truly conversed about that topic, but I am certain that is because there is nothing that can be done…” I sighed. “This is tormenting me, James…”

“Is running away together an option?” he asked.

“Wh- Running away? N- No, James! I could not!” I spluttered.

“Why not?”

“My- My family, my friends, the fact she is a Princess and cannot hide easily, just to name a few!” They were actually the only reasons I could think of.

“Your family will not live for that much longer, and it is not like you see them often anyway. You will make new friends wherever you travel to, though I doubt you will need them if you have Evangeline. And I was not thinking you should flee to a neighbouring Kingdom, but instead leave to the land across the vast waters,” James replied simply, effortlessly countering each point I had made.

“I do not think I could cross the vast waters…” I muttered.

“I think you could, Brian. Besides, it could be the only option you have left,” he said as he added another seemingly perfect flower to the small pile.

“Why are you picking flowers now?” I questioned, wanting to change the subject.

“They are for the Prince. He placed an order last time he was here so the Princess always has fresh flowers from him up until their wedding,” James replied in a very quiet voice. He did not meet my eyes and simply focused on his task. “He is a very wealthy man…” I groaned a little before rubbing my head in my hands. Now in the safe haven of Evangeline’s room there would be a constant reminder of Matthew and his desire for her. He always had the upper hand because of his royal position. I despised him so much. He did not deserve to have so much power. He was not a good man.

“I think I should suggest your idea to her…” I finally said after a few quite minutes of pondering the proposition.

“Good. Let me know how it goes.” I nodded at my friend before going back to the castle.

A few days later I had thought up a great plan. I was to ask Eva out on a date for a day, which to me symbolised a smaller version of running away together. Once we were alone, I would be able to suggest the idea and obtain her thoughts. I would handle the situation from there. When the weather appeared to be steadily good for winter, I spoke to Evangeline and she agreed we could do a secret outing the next day. She arranged for the stablemen to prepare her horse for a ride, and because she was to travel a relatively short distance from the town and gave a specific time she would return, the soldiers agreed to stay behind. Evangeline took care of the other preparations, like gathering a lovely lunch in a basket to take with us, simply because I could not. She understood and did not fuss, though I continued to feel inadequate. I could only hope that one day I would be able to do something nice for her and take care of her.

Nonetheless, Eva organised it all and we met just outside of town that morning. I climbed on her horse behind her and held onto her waist before we cantered to the lake. It was right next to gorgeous mountains and surrounded by such dense forest it was almost difficult to ride through. However, no one was there, so we had complete privacy in such a serene setting. We set up a nice spot together right next to the water on multiple sheets to protect us from the damp ground and placed the high-quality foods on it. Evangeline tied her horse to a tree on a long rope and then washed her hands in the lake before sitting next to me. We started to eat while barely taking our eyes off each other. She was so stunning… How could she ever like someone like me? I soon shook that thought away. It did not matter why she did, because she did, and that was all that mattered. I had to fight for her. As she reached out to take another small piece of bread, I put out my own arm and grabbed a hold of her soft hand. She hesitated and we met eyes again, love and joy in hers.

“Eva… I have to ask you something…” I started. She did not react. “I- I have been thinking lately about Matthew and you and me, since it is now a lot closer to the wedding, and- I think I might have a solution…” Evangeline perked up a little with hope.

“What is that, Brian?”

“I think that… maybe we should… run away together across the vast waters!” I blurted. She was taken aback for a few seconds.

“The vast waters? But there is no guarantee that we would survive that journey, or find a better place over there!” she countered before sighing and looking down at our touching hands. “It has crossed my mind lately too, but I do not think it is an option. I am too scared of the unknown.”

“I would rather travel to the unknown than remain here and watch as Matthew steals you away from me…” I mumbled sadly, also diverting my gaze to our hands.

“I can understand that, but… I am not prepared to leave… Not yet.”

“Eva…” I said gently, moving my free hand to tilt her chin up. Her dismayed blue eyes finally met mine and I stared deeply into them. “I love you… I would do anything for you…” Her eyes got watery and she looked away, out across the lake.

“I lo-” she began.

“Well, ain’t that just sweet?” an unfamiliar voice snarled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for the comments, guys. :D

Who do you think that unfamiliar voice belongs to? What's going to happen in the next chapter? Will they run away together?

You know you want to click this other story of mine and read it. And even this one too. Go on. *puts on Zacky voice* Do it.