In a Heartbeat

Chapter Twenty Four

Evangeline’s POV

It was here. The day of my wedding had finally arrived. It was the biggest day I had ever had to live, and right from the moment my eyes fluttered open, my stomach had been incredibly nauseous. Nothing I could say to myself eased the terrifying feeling, not knowing if I was going to die today or begin a happily ever after story with a Prince, or a mere servant. All eyes would be on me. Today, I decided the fate of myself, Brian, and my Kingdom. It was a huge weight on my shoulders. Once I was out of bed, I went straight to my favourite window and stared out at the gorgeous day that was starting to form. The view did not ease my fears at all, and only worsened them. I knew I could no longer run away with Brian. That opportunity had long passed, even though I was never keen on the idea to begin with. Now, however, it did not appear to be so bad. Today, when the sun is shining brightly, the birds are singing and the air is rather still for a spot next to a beach, I am to be wed. But to which man?

After eating a large breakfast, I returned to my room where a few females surrounded me while I sat in the middle of the room in a chair. I had never seen these women before, but now they were doing up my hair and polishing my fingernails and other small tasks to ensure that I looked perfect for my man. Apparently, Matthew had travelled to the Cardolian Kingdom yesterday with his family and was at the other side of the castle. We were forbidden from seeing each other until the ceremony, and I did not have a problem with that. No doubt he too was being prodded into excellence by other men, which would only make Brian more jealous. He could not afford the nice treatment we were receiving, so would simply look like yet another servant at the wedding. I had even been informed that the royal servants’ seating was around the edges, which meant he would be too far away to see much anyway. There was a large crowd to watch the ceremony, and there were a lot more important people in the Kingdom who were to have the better seats.

The women silently finished their tasks and then waited for me to change into my dress. I went behind the divider and slowly slipped into the gorgeous white dress, my whole body trembling a bit now that I was wearing it to get married and not to adjust the measurements. Once I walked out, they all cooed over me, saying I looked enormously beautiful and that Prince Matthew was a lucky man. They then adjusted my hair a bit more, checked the dress fit perfectly and did not need any quick repairs, then hurried out of the room. I sat in the chair and put my shoes on, finding it difficult to locate my feet beneath the humungous amount of material that flowed from my waist. Not a second after I was done, there was a loud knock on the door.

“Enter,” I said, hoping it was Brian. He was the only person I truly wished to see.

“Evangeline, I hear you look absolutely stunning,” my father’s voice boomed, my heart sinking a little. I stood and turned to face him, a fake smile on my face. “Yes, those women were right. You look beautiful, daughter. I am very glad to be walking you down to Prince Matthew today.” The women beamed and voiced their thanks before rushing outside to give us privacy.

“Thank you, father,” I said quietly, causing him to pause. His face soon broke into another kind smile.

“Ah, I see. You are nervous. Do not worry, Evangeline, today is going to be a brilliant day,” he attempted to reassure me. “Matthew is a great man, and together you two will accomplish so much. It is only a shame that I will not be around to witness all of your triumphs.” His grin was disappearing as his tone changed to a much sadder one.

“Father? Is everything alright?” I asked as he crossed my room. He took a chair and pulled it closer to the one I was seated in moments ago. He beckoned for me to sit, so I did.

“Evangeline… I am sick. I will progressively become more ill until I eventually die. The physician told me this approximately a month ago, but I did not wish to tell you because I knew you were already stressing about your wedding,” he explained.

“I am still stressing, father. Why would you tell me this now?” I questioned worriedly.

“Because you need to know… You need to enjoy this beautiful day with me, and you need to make me proud. This could very well be one of the last family moments we share, and I would love for it to be very memorable. As I said, you look absolutely beautiful, and I am already very pleased about that. No other King will ever have a daughter as fair as you,” my father smiled before looking down woefully. “However, I know you can be a bit rebellious, Evangeline. I do not wish for you to do that today. I need you to be right on cue, not a second too late, and to marry the good Prince. You do understand, do you not? You cannot let me down, especially now that I am fatally ill.”

“I understand, father,” I whispered, my head hanging low. I did not wish to cry.

“You know I love you, Evangeline. I always have, and always will. Now, I beg of you, make me proud today by doing the right thing,” he said as he cupped my chin in his hands.

“I love you too, father,” I scarcely said before falling into his arms. He held me as I fought away my tears, and I soon pulled away. There was a slight smile on his face, and it was only now that I noticed his hair had flecks of grey in it and that his skin appeared incredibly rough. He was old. It was no wonder he was sick. How could I have been so blind? My father left, and not long after I was visited by my mother and my sister. They too were happy about the ceremony and gave me their best wishes, reminding me that they were to be just a few steps away from me when I was being wed. I was then left alone for a while before my father returned.

“Everything is ready, daughter. Matthew and his family are going to the site now with your mother and sister. Father Jonathon is ready to officiate the ceremony, and the guests are all anxiously awaiting your arrival. I would say that now is a good time for us to go,” he announced. I nodded and walked up to my father. He held out a bunch of red and white roses, which I took. “Hold these in front of you as you walk to the Prince. They will only add to your beauty.”

“I am ready, father,” I said quietly and he held out his elbow with a loving grin. I linked my arm in it and we then left my sleeping chambers. We went outside the castle and mounted our horses, both cleaned yesterday to ensure they would not dirty out clothes. Then, we travelled down to the other side of town to where the ceremony was to be held. It was close to the church, a spot where forest had been cleared and the ground was a bit higher than the sand of the beach. We rode with the guards to quite a distance behind the edge of the forest and dismounted. Through the trees I could see the immense crowd that had gathered for me and Matthew, a mix of both of our people who seemed to be murmuring with excitement. There were a lot of soldiers surrounding the area too, and I could see the decorated Generals and High Constables at the front of the crowd, close to the arch that had fresh flowers woven into it. Matthew was there. I could easily spot his huge figure in a white suit, standing next to his father and Jonathon. This was it. I was really about to be married to Matthew…

“We will approach the crowd on foot, and the instruments will begin to play. All eyes will be on you as we walk to Matthew. You will give your flowers to your sister when you reach her, and then I will give you to the Prince and stand by your side as Father Jonathon unites you. Afterwards, you two will walk past everyone once again and by then, the feast will have been prepared in the church. You two will walk there and begin your first meal together. Your families will join you first, then our military leaders, and then peasants. I will speak to you again then, as you will have to give a speech,” he informed me. I think it all went in one ear and out the other, simply because I was too nervous now. After a few slow breaths of the salty air, I finally was ready. My father and I linked arms again, and we headed down towards the gigantic crowd, the guards following us in a simple formation. When we were near the last line of people, music started to play a serene tune from somewhere unknown to me, and everyone seemingly turned around to stare at me at the same time. I blushed a little and smiled anxiously, walking at the same slow pace as my father. This was pretty daunting… Everyone was relying on me to marry Matthew… But I could not do it… I desired Brian! But my Kingdom, my father, and Matthew… Could I really let them down?

Finally we had reached the front line of people, and to my right were my mother and my sister. I handed the bouquet to Abigail before letting my father lead me a few more steps forward and up onto a platform to stand with Matthew. He looked handsome in the white clothes, and he stood tall and proud, obviously very happy about what was about to occur. Him and my father exchanged a few words that I could not hear, and then my father took his place a few steps behind me, just like Matthew’s father was positioned relative to his son. Father Jonathon stood in between Matthew and I, but a bit further towards the sea, facing the large crowd. He glanced at me after Matthew had taken my hands in his, clearly confused as to why I was here with the Prince and not someone else. I looked casually out across all of the people, looking where the castle servants were. I spotted familiar faces, but none were Brian’s. As I turned my head back to face Matthew, I saw Brian’s father, but no Brian. I guess he was the one who would ruin this day after all, not me. With a gulp to swallow down my fears, I looked at Jonathon and nodded. He began the ritual.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Predictions?

I really hope this ending is exciting and suspenseful for you guys. Not necessarily this chapter, but the one or ones to come. It's a big ending, I promise.