In a Heartbeat

Chapter Twenty Six

Evangeline’s POV

“Tyronian? How did you get here?” my father shouted at the strange man. He smirked.

“Apparently your guards are not that alert, but that is not the issue at hand,” he replied. “As you know, we have been attempting to prevent this marriage from occurring. However, it would seem that the Zilani Kingdom is still not backing down. I offer them a fight right here, right now, with all of the Tyronian men here in the audience. What do you say?”

“Absolutely not!” both Kings replied angrily.

“In that case, go back to the Zilani Kingdom without the Princess. Stop the marriage, otherwise we will attack,” the man threatened. The two Kings glanced at each other.

“You are outnumbered,” my father said to Matthew’s father. “You are in my territory, I have an army surrounding this area, and apparently the Tyronian men are on my side. I suggest, once again, that you leave now.” I looked back at Matthew. He was clearly furious.

“Matthew, son, we should leave,” Matthew’s father said quietly. He nodded, but did not move.

“This is a big mistake. I will marry a better Princess, and I will defeat your pathetic Kingdom,” Matthew spat. “You will wish that you were mine, Evangeline.”

“Matthew?” I asked in a shy voice. He hesitated and let me step towards him. I slapped him as hard as I could. “Rot in hell.” I grabbed my dress in the front and held it up slightly, allowing me to step down from the platform and stand by my father’s side. A General moved in front of me to protect me. Matthew glared at me with such hatred and I grinned, glad that he was no longer in my life. We all watched as the Zilani royal family left, taking their people and soldiers with them. It was a beautiful sight to me, and it was all thanks to Brian. Somehow, he had pulled through. I was expecting him to stand up and object during the ceremony, we would declare our love for each other, and then somehow my father would agree and we would be wed. But no, Brian was much more heroic.

“General Nicholas, please assemble armies and post them at the main routes into our Kingdom. Prepare for an attack from the Zilani Kingdom as soon as possible. Reroute any patrols assigned to the Tyronian Kingdom, as I believe they are currently not a threat,” my father told one of his best Generals as I walked over to a fairly happy looking Brian. Everyone was loudly discussing the event.

“Brian… I cannot believe what you did…” I told him as I took his hands in mine. “You are amazing!”

“I would do anything for you, you know that,” he smiled.

“I like your clothes,” I remarked, acknowledging that it must have cost him a fortune.

“Thank you,” he said shyly. “I wanted to look good in case… well, you know…” Of course! How we desired to be married today! Now how was I supposed to word it to my father?

“I really would love to… but my father… and…” I stumbled over my words, unsure of what to say anymore. Should we wait? Would it be best to give everyone some time to heal from the betrayal from the Zilani Kingdom? Then again, I had already moved past it.

“I understand, Eva. I love you, but it scares me at the same time,” Brian said with a weak smile.

“Princess? Is this who you wish to marry today?” Jonathon asked, suddenly at our side. I was about to nod and say yes since he was still willing to perform the ceremony and unite us, but my father had overheard and erupted with more rage.

“Evangeline? This man? This is whom you have wanted to marry instead of Prince Matthew? A petty servant?” he boomed. I dropped Brian’s hands in fear, but Brian scooped my hands back up and held them tightly. He gave them a squeeze and I looked into his eyes. Yes, we could do this! Be confident, Eva, and fight for what you know is right!

“Yes. He is a quarter royal blood, and I trust he will be a good leader,” I told my father. Brian gripped onto my hands even tighter as we awaited his reply.

“A quarter royal blood?” he questioned and we both nodded our heads. “How can he possibly be a leader? He is a servant, and has been a mere peasant his whole life. He is not prepared to be a King!”

“Father, I can teach him how. I am set to be a Queen, you know that! This man is royalty, and is a good man. He will soon learn, I promise,” I explained.

“You do not know that for certain!”

“Yes, I do!” I countered, though I noted he was not that convinced. “Father, before the wedding ceremony, you asked me to not let you down, to do the right thing and to make you proud. This is the right thing! Marrying Brian is what I know is best for the Kingdom, and for me! How can you deny me happiness? How can you deny your people happiness? That is not being a good King!”

“I- Evangeline!” was all he managed to say in a very frustrated tone. I had made my father speechless. With a small sigh, I turned to the crowd of Cardolian peasants.

“If this man becomes your King, there will be more equality, I promise you! You will be richer and have better quality lives!” I called out to them. I saw their reactions: all positive. Smiles, nods and happy hushed talking all began with my words. I knew it was what they desired. As their future Queen, it was what I desired to give them. They deserved happiness, and true love, just like I did.

“Evangeline! What are you doing?” my mother hissed.

“I am in love with this man!” I shouted. “I have loved him for a whole year, and have always desired to fight for this true love, instead of being forced to marry someone who I do not wish to be with! You must understand! I know many of you are put into marriages too! If you let me be your Queen, you can marry who your heart desires, not who your parents say!” A few cheers came from the crowd.

“We are for this. Marry the slave, put your Kingdom at a disadvantage,” the Tyronian man laughed.

“You will soon learn it is no disadvantage,” I replied simply. “Please, Cardolian people, show me if you support me!” My people erupted into joyful cheering and I turned to my father.

“Please sir, let me marry your daughter. She is so determined to do good, and that will make an excellent Queen,” Brian said with a kind smile.

“You are right,” he said with a nod. “Evangeline, you may marry your love, Brian.” The crowd supported us with more noise, and Brian’s father made his way to his son. They shared a few excited words together before Brian replaced Matthew’s place on the platform, his father behind him. I smiled once more at my father before standing with my lover, Jonathon joining us too. He grinned at me.

“We are gathered here today to celebrate the uniting of Princess Evangeline and Brian Haner, both of the Cardolian Kingdom. Together they have fought for their true love, and we all admire and respect that,” Jonathon said loudly. Brian gently held my hands and I gazed into his handsome eyes. This was actually happening… This was actually happening! “Together, they will be a wonderful inspiration as our new leaders. Brian, do you take Evangeline to be your wife from this day forward, for better and for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?”

“I do,” Brian said with a grin so wide.

“Evangeline, do you take Brian to be your husband from this day forward, for better and for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?” Jonathon continued.

“I do,” I said. Brian squeezed my hands.

“You have declared this before the Lord. May He bless you,” Father Jonathon announced before smiling hugely. “I now pronounce you husband and wife, King and Queen of the Cardolian Kingdom. You may now kiss the bride.” My smile was so big I almost thought I would not be able to seal our vows, but I did. I kissed Brian, my husband, the new King.

We had succeeded!
♠ ♠ ♠
It's sad to end this story, but I'm so glad I stuck it out and finished it. It's about 42,000 words in total, and that's huge for me. And at least it was a happy fairytale ending, right?

Thanks so much to everyone who supported this story, and I really hope you'll follow some of my other writing too. :)