In a Heartbeat

Chapter Eight

I was disappointed when I entered my room to find that Brian was still not there. I was also disappointed that I was disappointed about his absence. No longer was I supposed to feel like that. It was over between him and I. We had agreed on that earlier. Sighing, I walked back to my window, gazing out at the night sky that was clear, showing me the tiny twinkling lights. I do not know how long I was lost in them for before a knock sounded from my door. I granted the knocker permission to enter, and it was Zachary.

“The King requests your presence, my Princess,” he announced with his head bowed before leaving. I exited and found my father sitting in his throne and took my position in front of him before he spoke. He informed me that he was delighted I was warming up to Matthew, and that he truly felt like I was going to be a great Queen, if I continued to behave correctly. Once he had finished talking to me, I curtseyed to him and left the room. Outside, Zachary was waiting for me, a towel across his arm. “My Princess, your bath has been run. Please follow me.” He then led me off to the bathing quarters.

“Where is Brian?” I questioned, confused and hurt that he was not here. Why was my sister’s slave taking care of me now?

“He had a personal emergency and had to leave for tonight,” Zachary replied and I frowned. We entered the large room with a bath tub in the middle of it, Zachary hanging the towel upon a rack. “Your sleeping garments are already behind the dressing wall. Please enjoy the bath.” And with that, he left, leaving me alone to ponder about Brian. I do hope he is not offended so much that he will not return as my servant. I already miss his presence…

Brian’s POV

“Are you certain that this is the correct action to take?” I questioned James as he tied together the large bouquet of flowers with a thick ribbon that matched the superb yellow of one of the flowers.

“Absolutely positive,” he replied and I began pacing back and forth, wondering if it really was. I was so nervous. Evangeline had just turned me down, told me forcefully that there was nothing we could do, we just could not love each other, but I could not take that as an answer. I did not wish to. Finally, the love of my life returns feelings for me, but then we do not receive a chance to love? This was not how I wished to live life. I must be with her. I had announced to my parents that I had found another woman, whose name I would not say, and that I loved her a lot more than Michelle. They said that they would give me until a week before the arranged wedding between Michelle and I to convince my new woman to marry me, otherwise I was to give up on her and settle for Michelle. This had only made me more determined than ever to have Evangeline. She was the one for me.

“So tell me the plan one more time?” I begged as I ran a hand through my greasy black hair.

“You take these,” James said as he pushed the stunning bouquet into my hands, sending a huge gust of lovely fresh flower scent up my nose. “And you go to wherever Zachary has sent her and confess your love to her. Tell her you will not take no for an answer. Tell her about the story your grandmother tells you. Say that the love between you two will work, if she will give it a chance. Remind her that that stupid Prince does not love her as much as you will… Just be yourself, Brian… I know you can do this. You love her…”

“I know… Alright, I think I can do this…” I breathed as I headed to the door of the gardeners’ shed. I turned to face my loyal friend. “Thank you so much, James.”

“Do not mention it,” he smiled cheerfully, but then his look turned sombre. “Seriously, do not mention it to anyone. Just because you are willing to risk your job for her does not mean that I am.” I chuckled a little before leaving and heading back into the castle, my stomach feeling very uneasy. Sneaking around the castle, I managed to avoid all of the guards and other occupants who were not already sleeping, heading all the way upstairs to find Zachary. Luckily, no one was around, so we were able to talk in the hallway.

“Where is she?”

“Taking a bath,” he replied and I froze. No! This was not what was supposed to happen! She was meant to be in her room or elsewhere that was secluded, not naked! How could I quickly surprise her and convince her to be with me if she was bathing?

“What? That was not part of the plan!” I hissed ferociously at my friend once I had overcome the shock. What was he thinking?

“I know! But you are making a mistake Brian! I do not wish for you to get fired or killed! You need to let her go!” Zachary retorted, taking me by surprise.

“No, I have to do this,” I shook my head, determined to get Evangeline back. “I love her. Without her, I am nothing…”

“You are making a huge mistake! Please do not do this!” He had barely finished speaking when we heard footsteps heading towards us. “Brian. Leave now. Before that person sees what you are doing.” But I did not listen to my friend. Once I saw the shadow of the person about to come around the corner, I rushed into the bathing room, silently shutting the door behind me. After slowly counting to ten to calm myself down while breathing loudly because of my panicking, I realised the person outside had not seen me and I turned around. I saw Evangeline in the tub, her arms crossing her chest while the rest of her body was hidden by white bubbles in the water. Her face had astonishment written across it and she appeared to be speechless.

“My Princess… I beg for a moment of your time for you to listen to my heartfelt words…”

“I do not think that this is the time, Brian…” she finally spoke, her voice showing that she was slightly scared.

“I know, I am sorry, but I was almost caught… And I need to tell you now, before it is too late for me to…”

“Brian…”

“Please, just one minute of your time!” I exclaimed, sensing the doubt in her voice. Evangeline sighed a little before looking down at the tub.

“Turn around. I will get out and change, then you may say what you need to say,” the Princess said. I obeyed and turned my back to her, hearing water sounds as I pondered what exactly I was going to say to her. Before, it seemed like it was all planned, but now my mind was blank, heart was racing, and my nerves were the worse I have ever had. James’ words had all been forgotten too and I began to feel insecure about confessing my love to my Princess. “Brian, you may now speak.” After taking in a deep breath, I turned and faced Evangeline. Holding out the flowers, I walked over to her and stopped about an arm’s reach away.

“Princess… If you take these flowers from me… it will mean that you are going to try with me to make this relationship work…” I began.

“Brian, I told you not that long ago that this cannot work…” she replied and I frowned.

“No. You have not heard my side of the story. I need you to hear it before you make your final decision,” I told her powerfully, hardly believing that I was talking to my royal superior in such a strong voice. But this was not any superior; it was Evangeline, the woman I loved… The thought of her truly loving me back gave me some confidence, so I continued to speak. “Evangeline, I love you. I know that this love between us will work, if you could just give it a chance. I would die for you and your love, and I am willing to take that chance…”

“I cannot let you… I do not wish for you to take such a risk!”

“I do not care anymore. I need you…” I paused for a moment, but she still did not reach out to accept the bouquet. Sighing, I glanced down at the floor, wondering how to word the next part. “There is also something else that I have not been telling you… It is very important…”

“What is that, Brian?” she asked, sounding quite intrigued, yet still fed up with me not giving up when I was supposed to.

“I am royal blood.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! :)