In a Heartbeat

Chapter Seven

Early the next day I went into the library in my castle and begun researching royal marriage. This lasted for almost a week. I only exited the room when I was called for meals by a servant. No one questioned what I was doing, luckily, as I was not going to be happy if I had to explain myself to my father. I assumed they thought I was simply reading other books, as I sometimes did get lost in a very good novel series.

Once I had read and re-read all of the rules, I concluded that there was nothing that I could do. It was my duty as the Princess who was next in line for the throne to do whatever I could to ensure the safety and continuation of my Kingdom, and that included marrying a Prince. I could not have a say in an arranged marriage, as my parents had control over it. And I could not marry someone who was not royalty, like a slave. Essentially, my father, the King, was in charge of me until I married my Prince. In the end, I had wasted a lot of time to end up failing. This was one fight I could not win. I had to admit defeat. I felt depressed, so went back to my sleeping quarters to look for Brian so I could confide in him and feel happier. When I walked inside, he had his back turned but looked busy. As I quietly shut the door behind myself, I noticed he was talking to himself. Puzzled, I took a few quiet steps towards him, wondering what he was doing, and then I realised he was singing.

“And finally… I have found… love with you…” my slave sung in a delightful voice, making me question why he was a cleaner and not part of the choir or other entertaining groups. “Oh how your lips felt… upon mine for the first time… I need to feel it again… to keep me sane… and prove to myself… that I’m not dreamin’ again…” Despite the sweet lyrics, I did not understand why he had not pronounced the last line properly. Was this some sort of peasant speak?

“Brian,” I said softly to get his attention. He whipped around, facing me with widened eyes that looked sort of cute, making me smile a little. “That was a nice song. Which one of our bands sings it?”

“Oh, um… It is my own song, my Princess,” he replied shyly, looking down at the small empty vase that was in his hand.

“Well I think it was lovely,” I complimented him. “But, I do wonder why you did not speak correctly at the end?”

“Well, my Princess, that is a new way that is coming from the people from the south. I am becoming fond of it and the shortenings,” Brian explained and I grinned a little before hesitating. “Is there something wrong?”

“Actually, yes… I will speak to you about it when I am able to word it correctly… I… I just need to think first…”

“Of course, my Princess. I will await your words patiently,” he smiled, reassuring me. It was a shame that I was about to let him down. “In the meantime, perhaps you should begin dressing for your dinner with Prince Matthew. I have selected a lovely dress for you.”

“Thank you, Brian. You really are a lovely servant,” I beamed before heading off to my dressing area.

“It is my job, my Princess…” I heard him say before I busied myself with dressing and looking my best. While I did so, I pondered how to verbalise my findings about my marriage to him. I wanted to say it and hurt his feelings the least, but still have him remaining as my servant. Eventually, I had enough confidence and the correct words, so I took in a deep breath.

“Brian, I wish to speak to you now,” I announced as I walked out of my dressing area. Brian was fiddling with a candle, cleaning it, I presume, and his handsome eyes looked up at me as I walked over to him. “I have bad news.” He frowned.

“What is it, my Princess?”

“I believe that this… whatever it is, between us… it must not continue,” I told my servant. It was difficult to interpret his reaction. Brian frowned, looked surprised, seemed confused, perhaps even slightly relieved, and his jaw dropped open a little.

“I… I do not know what to say…” he whispered before hanging his head low.

“I am sorry… I like you and you are a much better person than Matthew is, but I have been searching all week and have found nothing that will allow you and I to be together. I must marry royalty, no one else...” I continued, but Brian was still avoiding my gaze. “I am doing this to protect both of us. I do not wish for either of us to get hurt because of this tricky situation. Do you understand?”

“Yes I do, my Princess… It was a stupid idea… Absolutely stupid…” my servant replied in a hoarse voice. “Excuse me…” Brian then dropped the rag he was holding and exited my sleeping chambers. Feeling horrible for what had just happened, I went to my favourite window and sat in it, staring out at the mountains that were darkening as the sun disappeared. This was unfair. All I desired was love, and I knew that Matthew’s was the wrong type. It was Brian who had more sincere feelings for me, as I did for him. I had done my best to find a contradicting piece of information in the rules for my marriage, but there was none. I was obliged to obey my father. Rebelling was no longer an option. At least I would get to rule the Kingdom, even if it meant I was not that happy about it.

Eventually, I stood and checked myself over in the mirror. The dark blue gown looked magnificent and my hair was falling around my shoulders perfectly, not hindered whatsoever by the placement of my silver Princess Tiara. It was a pity that I was looking so good for a man whom I did not love. Saddened by that thought, I exited my room and went downstairs to the dining room for my late dinner with Matthew. He stood awaiting me by the only table that was made up, wearing red and yellow formal attire with a matching Prince Crown atop his head. I could not deny that he looked handsome tonight and a smile spread across my face as I relaxed, remembering that I had decided to accept my duty and be with him.

“Good evening, Matthew,” I spoke softly once I was a few steps away from him.

“Good evening, Evangeline,” he replied before we shared a short kiss. “You look absolutely beautiful tonight.”

“Thank you,” I grinned up at the tall Prince. “Shall we eat?”

“We shall,” he beamed down at me, seemingly glad that I was being a lot friendlier than usual to him. Sadly, I had no other choice. This was my destiny…

The meal surprisingly went well. There was never a silence in our talking, and for once, our conversations flowed as if we were long-time friends. We agreed upon almost every view of something that was brought up, which helped to reassure me that he would be a good King in the future. My parents had chosen well, and I had nothing to worry about. During the whole meal, I was distracted from any thoughts of Brian. It was good to have a rest from the stress about that bizarre relationship that I had been having. After dessert, Matthew walked me to my sleeping chambers, holding my hand gently, and stopping before my doors.

“I have had a wonderful time with you tonight, Evangeline. I hope I will see you tomorrow,” Matthew said with an attractive smile as he stood in front of me, holding both of my hands in his.

“You will.”

“Good… I would also like to invite you to my Kingdom for a night. I think you will enjoy it,” he proposed and I smiled in return.

“I would like to,” I answered, though I did not mean it. “I will talk to my father about it.”

“Of course. I bid you goodnight, Evangeline,” Matthew said before leaning down to kiss my lips a few times.

“Goodnight, Matthew,” I whispered as he let go of my hands before walking away down the corridor. Maybe being with him would not be too unpleasant…
♠ ♠ ♠
*Gasp!* Oh no! What is going on? :P
Comment, you know I love and appreciate it and that it makes me update sooner and write quicker!

Also, I think you guys should check this Brian romance story as well as this Matt and Val romance story. Both are only one chapter, so give them a shot! :)