Status: 8/19/12- Hiatus

Bulletproof Heart

Normality

I high tailed it out of the room once Gee came in. I KNEW what was going to happen in there and just didn’t want to be anywhere close to it. I went to the room Gee and Mikey were sharing fully intending to crash with him. Mikey was a super sweet guy and easy to hang out with. You didn’t have to DO anything and you just had a great time. Yeah he’s the one I’m closest to, the only guy friend I’ve ever really had. I tried the door knob and it was locked. “Mikey? You in there?”

I stood there for a few minutes before knocking on the door. “Mikey?” I frowned realizing he must have for some reason gone out for the night. I looked down and quickly decided I was not dressed to go hang out in the lobby until he got back. So instead I headed towards the room Ray and Frank were sharing. My only hope was that Frank had gone out with Mikey so it would just be Ray and I. Ray was pretty cool too, a close second to Mikey in the friendship department.

I knocked on the door. “Hey Ray? It’s me Pru. Listen Mikey must be out and Gee’s in our room so can I come crash with you? I promise only to bite if you ask nicely.”

The door opened and my smile faded quickly when I saw it was Frank.

“Don’t look so happy to see me.” And while he said it lightheartedly I saw the flash of hurt in his eyes.

“Oh…ummm…I was just surprised is all. I thought maybe you were out with Mikey.”

“Nope. I don’t know where that kid is.”

“Oh.” I said looking around the hallway glad no one was witnessing this.

“You can still come in if you want.” He said opening the door and standing aside so I could do just that.

I hesitated for a second not knowing what to do. Grow up Pru you’re both adults for crying out loud. “Uhh…okay…thanks.” I said but didn’t budge.

“You going to come in?” Frank asked when I didn’t move.

“Oh yeah…sorry.” I was blushing I knew it. I walked into the room looking everywhere but at the beds. “This is a nice room.” I said awkwardly.

Frank smiled as he closed the door behind him. “Isn’t it just like yours?”

“Uhhh…yeah I guess it is.” Wow I was a freaking genius around him now it seemed. We both just stood there staring at each other in silence for a few minutes before speaking at the same time. Frank smiled and so did I. “You go first.”

Frank took a deep breath before speaking. “I’ve wanted to apologize to you for days now. I’m sorry I was a complete douche to you. I wish I had a good reason for acting the way I did but I don’t. I’m just really sorry Pru.”

He looked so sad I couldn’t stay mad at him, besides I had said way worse to him. “I’m the one who’s sorry Frank. That comment about Jamia was totally uncalled for and cruel. I know what it’s like to watch your marriage fall apart.”

I sat down on the bed and Frank joined me. “You were married?”

I nodded. “Yeah for three years but Owen and I had been together for four before that. We had been high school sweethearts.” I was smiling because not all the memories weren’t bad, especially the ones from high school.

Frank reached over and placed his hand on top of mine. “Can I ask what happened?”

“Everything was great until we decided to try and have kids. Turns out that I can’t.” I shrugged and kept going with my story so I wouldn’t cry. It still hurt knowing that I would never be a mom, something I had always taken for granted as a sure thing.

“You never know how much you want something until you realize you’re never going to get it. Anyhow we tried everything the doctor could think of seeing specialist after specialist. It was really stressful and we started fighting a lot. Eventually I caught him with his assistant and we got divorced. Last I heard they are now married with two kids.”

I hadn’t looked at him once since starting my story and I really didn’t want to do so now. Which is why I didn’t see him move so he could pull me into his arms. “I’m sorry Pru. That was a douche bag move and you deserved better.”

“Thanks Frank. But that happened almost three years ago now so I’m over it really. I just decided to marry my job and make that what matters most.” I shrugged because it’s not really what I wanted but what I had decided to settle for.

Frank put his finger under my chin tilting my head up so I would look at him. “You deserve happiness.” There was this look in his eyes that I just didn’t understand. They were warm, shining with kindness and caring. He started to lower his head and I closed my eyes. “Jamia is an idiot. She should be fighting tooth and nail to keep you from leaving.”

I hadn’t realized I had spoken the thought aloud until his hand fell away from my face. I opened my eyes and realized he had sat back his eyes hardening slightly. “You assume I wanted the separation.”

“You didn’t?” I asked honestly surprised. It was wrong of me, I know this, but he’s the hot rock star surrounded by beautiful women all the time.

His whole face had hardened and I immediately wished I had kept my big mouth shut. “No I didn’t. She was the one who asked for the separation. I love my wife and daughters. They’re my world.”

Wow why did it hurt so much to hear him say that? It felt like someone had stuck a knife in my chest and was slowly turning it for their own sick pleasure. I disentangled myself from his arms needing distance from him. “As they should be.”

Guess he could tell he struck a nerve because he grabbed my hand when I went to scoot off the bed. “Pru…”

I turned to him pasting on a fake smile. “No no, don’t. I assumed wrong and I’m sorry. I’m sure Jamia will realize what a huge mistake she’s making and come to her senses.”

“I hope so.” He sounded so sad it broke my heart. That’s if it was still in my chest. Right now it’s currently under Frank’s boot being squished to smithereens.

I walked over and hugged him because he seemed like he needed one almost as bad as I did. “Even if she doesn’t you still have two beautiful little girls. And while I haven’t seen you with them you’re too good a man to not be an excellent father.”

“You’re ex is an idiot.” He said as he squeezed me tight.

I smiled at him as I pulled back. “Well we agree on that at least.”

He laughed as he let go. “How bout we watch a movie?”

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

Next thing I knew I was waking up with Frank spooning me. I laid there just enjoying the feeling. I missed this; I missed waking up in someone’s arms. “Come on, wake up sleeping beauty.” I said pushing on Frank lightly. Groaning he rolled over mumbling something unintelligible. “Frank wake up I need to borrow clothes.” I said pushing him until he almost fell out of the bed.

“I’m up. I’m up.” He said getting out of the bed and heading into the bathroom.

“I need to borrow clothes.” I hollered from the ‘bedroom’.

“In my bag in the corner.”

I dug through the bag until I found a button down I liked enough to confiscate.

Frank let out a low whistle when he came back in. “Damn but you look good in my shirt.”

I rolled my eyes. “Come on lover boy time for breakfast.”

“I’m your lover? How deep did I sleep last night?” He asked wiggling his brows at me as we headed down to breakfast.

“Guess you’ll just never know.” I teased back. This was good. We were almost back to normal. As I had laid in his arms last night I had realized something, being friends with Frank was better than nothing at all. I would settle for what I could get.

I let out a deep breath.

That seemed to be the story of my life.