The Outcome

Chapter Four

You know that feeling you get when you ride a rollercoaster, that piece of time when the coaster descends and you have that moment of weightless at high speeds? That the feeling I woke up to when Max decided to wake me up by jumping on my bed. He was too big and I was too small; I went flying to the floor. It was 6:00 in the morning.

“What the fuck, Max?” I yelled, a pile of sleepy mess on the floor.

“Sorry, Mace! It’s time to get up, we start school today!”

“Ugh, it’s that time all ready? The week isn’t over yet is it?”

Max was already on his way out the door and down the stairs. “Yeah, out week of rest is over. Erick and Donavan want to have a meeting downstairs now. Go over the cover story one more time.

He skated out the door leaving me still a little dazed on the floor. It was the kind of thing I should have expected from a house filled with such gentlemen. Brayden came to my rescue; however, lifted me to my feet and helping me pick out an outfit to wear after the meeting was over.

Downstairs, everyone was spaced out around the living room, all with sleep in their eyes, all expect Erick and Donavan. Once Bray and I took a seat he decided it was time to get this thing going.

“Good morning everyone, I take it everyone slept well?” There was a grumble of a response. “Great, anyway, I just want to go over the story one more time. You all are here are a cross country focus group. What it the focus on, Graison?”

“We’re here to see how a more natural environment affects the study of science subjects, over the environment in the city.”

“Exactly right. That means all of you will be enrolled in higher level science classes. The only one I need to actually take these seriously in you Macie. The boys will have enough on their plate keeping up with the vampires.”

“How does that work; I have to keep up with vampires too. I’m always the fucking bait!” It was too early to be thinking about school and science and focus groups.

“I know, but you don’t have to do any phasing or patrolling. I do have a special assignment for you, but I’ll give you those details when you get back from school. I’ve called ahead so I don’t need to sign any paperwork. Just remember your stories and blend in. Don’t have any run ins with the other wolves if you can avoid it.”

“Yes, sir, Captain sir! Is that all sir?” Max carried on, giving Donavan a mock salute and standing at attention.

I’d found over the past week that Donavon was a good sport when it came to the guys. He saluted him back. “That is all, solider. Keep calm and carry on.”

I rolled my eyes and excused myself from a room full of hyper werewolves at 6 in the morning. I was going to need coffee, a shower, and a prayer to get though this day.

~~~

We had been to many different schools ever since we were sent off to defend the word against blood sucking leeches. Yet, we never found a less suspicious way to enter the first day of school. It was always the same; we walked in as a group, just like the pack we were. Not one by one, or sectioned off in smaller pairs, but as one big intimidating cluster. I know we had to look like a scene from a music video or something, judging by the looks on people’s faces I was right.

I guess it just felt safer that way. Our first big statement to this group of peers: “Don’t fuck with us, we won’t fuck with you.” Going into the front office, we gave to poor receptionist, Mrs. Anderson, a start. I could hear the increase in her heartbeat when she saw the size of my boys. She didn’t over look the fact that I didn’t exactly match the rest of them. I mean, we were all different skin tones and different styles, but they were all big and powerful while I was just Macie: the pack girl with no wolf and visions of endings that got in the way of everything. It was easy enough to ignore after a while and we all received our schedules without problems.

“Inorganic chemistry, earth science, english 3 honors, study hall, and woodshop. Really?” I said looking down at my schedule.

Mrs. Anderson looked me over her glasses. “Yes, your paperwork showed you tested out of a lot of other subjects and those will work best with you focus group. Welcome to La Push Senior High School.”

“Oh, right. Thank you.” I readjusted my backpack and joined everyone else back in the hallway. The first bell hadn’t rang yet so we still had a bit of time to find out lockers and figure out how to get to our first class. The only periods we had together were study hall and lunch, so I was on my own for the morning.

“Alright guys, I have inorganic chemistry at 7:45 in the morning, so I might as well try to claim a seat in the back. See you guys later at study hall.”

Erick pulled me to side before I could escape down the hallway. “Hey, have a good day, Macie. I’ll see you later.” I looked past him at the other boys already on their way.

“Yeah, thanks Erick, you too.” He moved toward me like he was going to kiss me, but I turned my head so his lips only met my cheek. “I have to get to class, Erick, bye.” With that I tore myself away and escaped down the hallway. Here was another message that got sent out at every school. No other guy was to look at me. Erick claimed me as his weather I had a say of not.

My first few classes were just as I expected. I didn’t have to introduce myself; everyone already knew my name and my cover story in this small town. Not to be mean, but the stereotypical nerds were the only ones in these high level classes. That meant I didn’t really have to deal with whispers and comments from bitchy girls. I did however; have to keep from being stumped by questions about the focus group. Lunch didn’t come fast enough.

I’d spent most of the day alone, going from class to class with my nose in a school map. I didn’t really want to talk to me and the student body was satisfied with just staring at me for the time being. When I finally made it to the cafeteria, my stomach gave a grateful grumble; the food selection wasn’t the worst I’d seen.

I was carrying my tray to the boy’s table when I saw him.
He was tall, werewolf tall, and all muscle with tan skin. His black hair was a chopped mess on his head and he was smiling, white teeth in the breathtaking smile. Then there were his eyes. They were honey brown and deep like an exotic gem. I could smell him wolf from where I stood, he smelled like the trees outside and I could almost taste his strength. Was this boy an Alpha? I couldn’t help but stare at him.

He was walking towards me without noticing me rooted to the spot in the floor. All the scents I had picked up from far away hit me full blast with is passing and I swear I almost fell over. I wasn’t the type of girl to go gaga over some guy, but this was something I had never experienced before. As he passed, his arm brushed mine and a vision drowned out the noise of high school lunch time.

There was stone everywhere and fire. Instead of heat; however, goose bumps were rising from my flesh as the flames licked cold. The stone was falling around me, darkness and sunshine becoming one. Faces blurring together until it was just my own…a broken mirror…

“Hey, chick? Are you okay? Wake up!” a voice said from above my head.

I was on the ground when I opened my eyes, right to be looking into the beautiful boy of La Push. I smiled up at him in a bit of a daze. “I think I hit my head.”

Great first impression, Macie, now bank your head on the ground again.

But he just laughed at me, all bronzed and white teeth. “Yeah, I might have knocked you down a bit. Think you can get up?”

Before I got the chance to answer him, he was being pushed out of my sight and replaced by Erick. “Macie, are you okay? What happened? Did he push you?”

Propping myself up to my elbows, he got an eye roll. “I’m okay, Erick, just fell down. I promise you I wasn’t pushed. Help me up, everyone is probably staring.” Upon standing I found that I was right. First days of school always held amazing memories.

"Hey, I'm Jacob Black, I'm really sorry about that." Spoke the angel. His name was Jacob Black and I prayed that he wasn't working with the leeches.

"Yeah, it's okay. I'm just a little clumsy today, I guess."

"Jacobs' got a thing for clumsy girls, don't ya man?" Another dark haired boy said from behind him. He smelled of wolf too, but was younger.

Jacob's eyes darkened and he turned to glare at the younger boy. "Shut up, Seth." His eye connected with mine again. "Look, I'm sorry again. See you." And then he was gone.

"Yeah, see you Jacob Black."
♠ ♠ ♠
And here we finally have the meeting of Jacob Black! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, but please give me some feedback. I want opinions to help me shape this story the best way I can. And it anyone was wondering, my birthday was awesome! See you next update.