Status: Active

Love is a Luxury

XIV

Tour had been over with for a little over two months now, and I was missing everyone like crazy. It was now the first Friday in November, and my birthday was in a week.

Colby, Jimmie, and I all sat in the living room, watching Spongebob Squarepants, when my phone began ringing. “What do you want Garrett?” I joked. Colby automatically perked up at the sound of the bassist’s name.

“Just to talk to the bestie. It’s been like, two weeks.”

“Oh, just admit it. You just wanna talk to Colby,” I smirked. Almost every time Garrett and I talked on the phone and Colby was around, they had to talk to each other.

“You’re right,” he sighed. I handed Colby the phone and headed to the kitchen.

Jimmie followed me in there as I scanned the cupboards for something to eat. “Do we have any Ramen?”

“Ramen makes you sick. Since when do you eat it?” He looked at me like I was crazy.

“I dunno, I’m just craving it right now,” I shrugged and went back to look for the noodles.

“Livy, you’re either pregnant or crazy. You haven’t eaten them in five years.” Then the thought dawned on the both of us. We gave each other that look and it’s like we both knew. “No.” He said with wide eyes.

“I don’t know.”

“Get Colby ready, we’re going to the store.”

“Uhh, fuck you. I’m staying here and eating my damn noodles,” I said while pulling out a pack.

“Mommy, GareBear wants to talk to you,” Colby handed me my phone.

“Hey, can I call you back later? I’m fixing to cook,” I said, anything to get him off the line before he could detect it in my voice that something was up.

“Yeah, course. Bye.”

“Later,” I hung up, and started to cook. I was halfway through with my food, and Colby was making a mess as always, Jimmie pulled up and entered the house in record time.

“Take it. Now,” he demanded and handed me the box.

“What’s the Momma?” Colby asked.

“Nothing, just finish your noodles. I’ll be right back.” I went upstairs to my bathroom and opened up the box. I followed the instructions and all I could do was wait.

After the time was up, I rushed to go find Jimmie. “Call Serena and Caleb. We need to talk.”

---

“What in the hell is going on that is so important?” Caleb said, plopping down on our couch, my son already in his lap.

“For real. I was in the middle of a really great singing session in the shower,” Serena agreed.

“Go on, tell them Olivia,” Jimmie urged me on.

“I’m uhh, pregnant,” I whispered the last part.

“You’re what?”

“I’m pregnant…” I said it louder this time, staring at the ground the entire time.

“Whose is it?” Serena asked.

“John’s. I don’t know how it happened. I’m pretty much in shock right now,” I said, wiping away the tears that were rimming my eyes. Serena stood up and wrapped her arms around me.

“I’m here for you, no matter what. You need me, and I’ll pick up the phone no matter what time it is, and be here in minutes. You know I love you, and I love that little alien you’ve got growing in your stomach already,” she kissed my cheek and put her hand on my belly.

“And the same goes for me. I’m always gonna be here for you, rain or shine. I love you Livy, and that baby’s gonna be fucking gorgeous if he takes after his mom,” Caleb was at my side, with his hand placed next to Serena’s on my stomach.

“Thanks you guys. I love you too and thanks for supporting me through this. It means the world to me. I guess I need to go make a doctor’s appointment, so I’ll be right back.”

I went into the kitchen, found the phone book, and dialed the number for the doctor. After everything was said and done, I had an appointment for next Thursday, the day before my birthday.

“So which one of y’all is going with me?” Jimmie and Caleb exchanged looks, and then proceeded to shout “NOT IT!”

“I wanted to go anyway, so no biggy.”

“Thanks Dear. That means you’re babysitting Colby when I’m gone guys!” They both gave each other shit eating grins and I regretted my decision already. “I swear if y’all fill him full of sugar, I will make sure that y’all are the ones who are there until he comes off of his high.” Last time I left Caleb and Jimmie in charge, I came home to a naked toddler, with black war paint on his face and a bandana on his head, while running around the house screaming the lyrics to a blink-182 song.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. We won’t.”

“No caffeine either!”

“Damnet…” I shook my head at them and went upstairs with Serena to my room.

I was laying on my back on my bed and Serena was in my lounge chair with her feet propped up on my computer desk. “When do you think it happened?” She broke the silence.

“Sometime in August. That’s the only time we had sex the entire tour, but we also went at it like rabbits that entire time. I made sure he wore a condom every time though, so it just doesn’t make sense to me. It would explain the over eating, and the extra few pounds I’ve gained. I guess it also makes sense as to why I’ve skipped my period.”

“Have you even talked to him since tour ended?” I shook my head.

“I’ve wanted to so bad though. Garrett and I still talk though.”

“Are you gonna tell anyone?”

“I don’t know yet. I kinda wanna go to the doctor’s first and make sure that I’m just not storing weight for the winter before I tell anyone besides the family about it.”

“Do you know what you’re gonna name it yet?”

“I’m not really sure. If it’s a boy, I kinda wanna name him after his daddy, but I think that it’d be kinda weird to name it after someone who doesn’t even know he exists. If it’s a girl though, and if it’s all right with you, I really like your middle name, so I was thinking about her middle name being Lennox too.”

“Well, of course you can!” She smiled. I laughed at her. “You’re gonna be such a good mom.”

“I hope so,” I put my hand on my stomach.

“I can’t wait to go shopping for the little bugger!” She squealed with excitement and I rolled my eyes at her, all while giggling at her.

One thing that stuck in my mind was is that I hope I will be a good mom.

---

It was the day of my birthday and I was running last minute errands for Jimmie.

It had pretty much turned into my brother’s party since I couldn’t drink or do anything stupid since I was in fact fourteen and a half weeks pregnant.

I picked up the last few things besides alcohol (since I was underage for another two years) and headed home where people had already started to arrive.

I handed Jimmie everything he told me to pick up and went up to my room to change.

My mom and Colby had already left for the hotel since she was babysitting him and we both didn’t want him around any drunken teenagers.

After I had changed into a dress that hid my small baby bump, I went back downstairs to see who all was here.

“Ross?” I said in shock at the sandy blonde in front of me.

“Olivia! Hey! Happy Birthday!” He hugged me.

“What are you doing here?” I smiled at him.

“Jimmie invited us.”

“Who’s us?” I asked, hoping John’s name wouldn’t be included.

“The Maine, Shane, Austin Gibbs, Halvo, and me.”

“John’s here?” I felt my stomach drop.

“No, he stayed back at the hotel, but yeah, he’s here in Florida with us.”

“Ah, hell,” I paused. “Halvo? Who is Halvo?” I asked, thinking of the unfamiliar name.

“He’s a buddy of ours. He’s pretty cool. He’s also the bassist of A Rocket To The Moon. Anyway, how have you been?” Ross and I then began talking and I pretty much told him everything except the major point.

I’m pregnant with your brother’s kid…

The rest of the boys found us, including Halvo, who was strange, but actually pretty cool as Ross has said.

By then, mostly everyone we invited and the tag alongs were here. Half an hour later, three more people came through the door, soaked.

Fuck you Florida weather. Only we would get a storm in November. “Guys, I’ll be back in a second. I think I left my window open.” They nodded and I headed upstairs.

I unlocked my door and flipped on my light. My window wasn’t open, but I decided to stay in my room for a few more minutes.

I was about to adjust my makeup in the mirror when I thought I heard taps on my window. I shook it off, because I knew no one was stupid enough to climb onto the roof when it was pouring rain. That was until I heard it again.

I eased toward the window and looked out it. I couldn’t see anything, so I opened it and looked out. “What the fuck are you doing John?!” I shouted and pulled him inside.

“Oh, you know, just enjoying the scenery. What does it look like I’m doing? I came here to talk to you.”

“How long have you been out there?”

“I dunno, maybe two hours.”

“Oh, my gosh, John. Stay here while I get you a towel and some dry clothes.” I took off towards the linen closet, where I grabbed a towel and then headed to Jimmie’s room to get a pair of pajama pants and a long sleeve shirt.

When I got back, the room was vacant, the window was open and the pictures from my ultrasound were on my bed. “Shit,” I hissed to myself. He just chickened out on being a dad. I can’t say I blame him, because I was scared myself, but he ran before he found out anything about it.

“Olivia?” Garrett said while tapping on my bedroom door.

“Yeah?” He opened the door and shut it behind him.

“Why did I just get a text from John saying you were pregnant?” I sighed and held out the pictures to him.

He stared at them, then at me, then at my belly before finally speaking. “Is it his?” I nodded. “Olivia, you gotta talk to him. He thinks it’s someone else’s because you said you didn’t love him anymore.”

“Garrett, I don’t even know where the hell he is right now.”

“No, but I can tell you where he’ll end up. We’re staying at the Days Inn. I’m sharing room 306 with him, Ross and Halvo. They have a key, so take mine and get your man back.”

“This is why I love you,” I kissed his cheek, locked my door as we left the room, and took off towards downstairs. I grabbed my keys out of the bowl they were in and headed into the pouring rain.

I drove as fast and as legally as I could to the hotel. I was thankful for the lack of traffic, especially when I saw his lanky figure walking along the sidewalk.

I pulled up beside him and rolled down the window. He looked over, noticed who it was, and continued walking. “John, you don’t even know the story. You said you wanted to talk, so let’s talk.”

“You didn’t even know the story half the time you got pissed at me, so I don’t see the difference here,” he snapped.

“Maybe because it involves more than just us this time.”

“No, it involves only us. No one else needs to be in between this.”

“Well, you shoulda thought twice before you fucking knocked me up!” It was deathly quiet between us as he stared at me in horror.

“It’s mine?” He stuttered.

“Yes, I haven’t been with anyone since. I never got over you,” I mumbled the last part to myself. He finally got into the car and headed in the direction of the hotel.

“How long have you known?”

“I took a test a week ago, but my first appointment was yesterday.”

“Boy or girl?”

“I’m not far enough along yet. I find out in two weeks.”

“Who all knows?”

“The band, my mom, and now you and Garrett.” He gave nod and was silent the rest of the way.

In the five minute ride, it had stopped raining as I pulled into the hotel parking lot.

“Umm, is it all right if I use the bathroom before I go?” He nodded and we both got out of my car.

He unlocked the hotel room and turned on the lights. I headed straight for the bathroom while John sat down on one of the two beds.

After I was done, I walked back into the main part of the room. “I’ll walk you to your car if you want?” He offered. I nodded and we both walked outside.

“So, uh, I guess I’ll see you around?” John asked, more than stated, and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Yeah, I guess so. Later John,” I opened up my car door.

“Later Livy,” he turned around and headed back to the room.

I was about to get into my car when I stopped myself. “I lied,” he stopped and turned around.

“What did you lie about Olivia?” He asked.

“About not loving you. I lied.”

“What?” He started walking towards me.

“I pansied out. I was scared. I’m so sorry. This may be two months late, but I fucking love you too,” and just like that, his mouth was on mine and I was kissing him right back.

We broke apart for breath and he rested his forehead against mine. “I’ve missed you so much,” he whispered.

“I missed you too.” His hands made their way down to my stomach and felt the bump emerging underneath my dress.

“What are you hoping for?” He asked.

“Either. Just as long as they’re healthy, I’m okay.” John dropped his hands, leaned against the trunk of my car beside me and wrapped an arm around me.

“I still can’t believe I contributed to it. I can’t believe that it’s part of me, growing inside of you.”

“Trust me babe, I can’t get over it either. Hearing the heartbeat for the first time yesterday still has me in shock.”

“I hope that if it’s a girl, that she’s as beautiful as her mom. She’s gonna be a heartbreaker, with a great smile. She’ll have all the boys at school in the palm of her hand, just waiting for her to look their way.”

“And what if it’s a boy?” I questioned.

“I dunno, what if it’s a boy?”

“I hope that if it’s a boy, that he looks like his daddy, cause everyone knows the O’Callaghan’s are some good looking people. I also hope he gets his daddy’s long legs and his green eyes that will make all the girls melt when he looks at them, and will probably make them faint when he flashes them a smile. And if he can sing, well then, we’re screwed. We’d never be able to keep him home.” I smiled up at him, and he leaned down and kissed me.

“MOMMY!” I heard Colby yell and wrap himself around my legs. I went to go pick him up but was cut off by my mom yelling before I could even start lifting.

“Don’t lift that youngin’ up!” And I raised my hands in defeat. “John, it’s good to see you,” she hugged him. “What are you doing here?”

“Jimmie invited us for Olivia’s birthday.”

“So, do y’all have things worked out now?”

“Yes ma’am, I believe so,” I smiled at her, then at him.

“That’s good then,” she said and pulled out her phone and started typing out a text. Already knowing what she was doing, I cut her off.

“Yes Mom, he knows I’m pregnant. Don’t waste your energy sending it,” I laughed as she rolled her eyes and put away her phone.

“Well, it’s wayyy past Colby’s bedtime, so I’m gonna get his blanket out of the truck, and we’re going to bed. I’ll see you in the morning, love you kiddo,” she hugged me and kissed my cheek. “Bye John, it was good seeing you again.”

“Bye Elizabeth. You too,” he waved.

“Bye Mommy, bye John!” Colby said, hugging us both. I watched as they walked to the truck, and then went back to their hotel room.

“You still have it,” John said, eyeing my necklace. It was a simple silver chain with the band that John had put on my hand in the hospital when Colby had just woken up.

“Yeah, it was too big for my finger, so I put it on a chain. Here,” I started to take off the chain, but he stopped me.

“It looks better on you,” he kissed my nose.

“So, what do you wanna do now?” I asked.

“Well, it has been a while, and there’s a completely unoccupied room over there,” he said in a suggestive tone.

I didn’t say anything, just grabbed his hand and led the way.