The Only Exception

Brady's Announcement

Jesika laughed as she walked into her brother’s without knocking. Matt had said something about how her parents were probably going to immediately have Laila in their arms. And they’d be fighting with his parents for her all night.

“Brady! Tell Matt that Mom and Dad…” Jes stopped mid-sentence when she saw the dirty blonde in her brother’s kitchen helping him cook. “Who’s she?” Jes asked.

“Hi, to you to Jes. Hey Matt. Where’s my niece?” Matt sat Laila’s carrier on the table and Brady walked over and after wiping his hands on the paper towel in his hands lifted her out of her carrier. Once Brady had her cuddled safely in his arms he turned to his sister as she spoke again.

“Hello, I asked a question!”

“I know, and I’ll answer you if you can be polite.”

“Did you just tell her to be…never mind, shutting up, not sleeping on the couch.” Matt said and Jes smirked.

“Well, sis, this is Bethany, my girlfriend, Beth, my sister Jesika and her husband Matt. And this little angel, is my niece Laila.”

“Hi, nice to meet you.” Jes just stared at her brother as Bethany spoke. Jes’ eyes narrowed.

“How long have you two been together?”

“A little over two months.” Brady said as he handed Jes her daughter, so he could go back to cooking.

“Is…”

“Seriously Jes?” Matt asked. She narrowed her eyes half-heartedly at him but said nothing as she sat down at the table and cuddled her little one.

“Sorry, reflex. So, Brady, does Mom know you’ve invited someone to this little get together?”

“No. But then again she was so excited to hear that you were going to be here with the baby, that she really didn’t let me say anything.”

“Oh. Is Jake bringing Amy?”

“Yeah, and that, so not a good thing. All they’ve been doing is fighting like rabid dogs.”

“Great, they so much as yell at one another once around my daughter and make her cry, Jake’s going to regret it.” Matt muttered. Jes beamed at him.

“See, why I love him?” Brady rolled his eyes and laughed. A moment later they heard laughter as Sophie squealed.

“Aunt Jes is here!” And in the next moment a blonde ball of energy flew into the room.

“Watch the baby!” Audrey said from the hall way. They all heard Evan laugh. And a moment later Evan walked into the room, Audrey all smiles beside him, and Colton toddling his way into the room, behind them. Matt reached down and picked up his nephew as he reached up for him.

“Up!” And a moment later he was resting his head on his Uncle’s shoulder and looking down at the baby that was in his Aunt’s arms.

“Did we beat Jake here?” Evan asked looking at his brother.

“Yes, why?”

“Because, I wanted some peace and quiet before they got here. I’ve been dealing with these two fighting for the last two…and who’s this?” Evan cut himself off when he caught sight of Bethany. She was leaning against the counter a Cherry Coke in hand. Jes glanced briefly up to see her brother’s face and glanced sideways at her sister in law. Audrey had her eyebrow raised in the woman’s direction.

“My girlfriend. This is Evan, his wife Audrey, and their kids, Colton and Sophie. Guys, this is Bethany.”

“Who’s Bethany?” Caroline asked walking into the room, a harried expression on her face. Mark was behind him.

“Matt you’re parents, and sister pulled in behind us.” Mark told his son in law.

“I’ll go greet them.” Matt said and walked from the room.

“Can I make the introductions once everyone’s in the room?” Brady asked. Caroline only rolled her eyes as she moved to the fridge and got a soda.

“Fine, hand over my granddaughter.” Caroline said as after she had taken a drink and set the can on the counter.

“No.” Jes said and cuddled the sleeping Laila closer to her. Mark only raised an eyebrow at his daughter and she sighed. “Fine, but she’s going home with us.” Jesika said and Brady rolled his eyes, causing Evan to laugh. Jes glanced up once Laila was in her grandmother’s arms and smiled as she watched Matt walk back in the room. He was followed by Summer, Jimmy, and his parents. And only moments later they all jumped when the front door slammed open and then closed.

“You know, I’m glad, that at least when I got pregnant, the man that knocked me up loved me and I loved him.” Jes commented. Brady and Evan laughed when Mark only agreed with his daughter.

“I love you too Jes.” Matt said and she stood, then sat back down in his lap once he was sitting.

“Well now that everyone’s here…” Brady muttered as Amy walked in and crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the wall. Jake only ignored her as he walked passed. “Everyone that doesn’t already know, this is my girlfriend Bethany, Bethany, my mother Caroline, my father Mark, my other brother Jake, and his girlfriend Amy.” Brady said indicating the rest of his family. He then gestured towards Matt’s family, who were just as active in their lives, because Summer had become one of Jesika’s best friends, and they all liked Matt’s parents. “And this is Gary and his wife Kim, Matt’s parents, and Matt’s sister and Brother in law, Summer and Jimmy.” They all nodded in acknowledgement and Laila was passed from grandmother to grandmother.

“Oh, I can’t wait, one more month and Mom and Dad will have a new baby to occupy their time.” Summer said. Jes smiled.

“So, dinner is about ready, we’re having wine, for those that can drink.” Brady said glaring at Amy. She only rolled her eyes as he glanced at Jes the question in his eyes.

“I’ll take a soda, I have to take care of Laila.”

“Same here.” Matt said. Jes grinned.

“Fine, want to help set the table sis?”

“Since my child’s been kidnapped by her grandparent’s sure.” And Jes and Audrey helped Brady and Bethany set the table, and pour the wine, and bring out the food. Jes noticed almost immediately that Audrey wasn’t drinking. Audrey shook her head at Jes who only shrugged.

“So, I have an announcement to make.” Audrey said. Evan grinned at his wife.

“What?” Caroline asked looking at her daughter in law.

“I’m pregnant. I found out three days ago.” They all heard Jake’s comment and all glared at him.

“Why the fuck would you want another kid, when you’ve already got two?” Audrey’s eyes began to well up with tears and Matt who was sitting closest to Jake, elbowed him, rather hard in the ribs. None of them missed the move and Audrey smiled at him.

“You know why is it, every time we have one of these dinner’s it seems some one has news of a pregnancy?” Evan asked.

“The hell if I know. But it is wonderful news.” Caroline said. Audrey grinned. She had come from a small family. Both of her parents had been single children, and so had she. She wanted at least four kids. And that wasn’t a problem with her husband.

“Congratulations.” Summer said smiling. Audrey grinned at her, and knew the woman thought that because she was happy, that everyone needed to be.

“So, Brady.” Jes said.

“Yeah?” He asked looking at his sister.

“Is this us meeting your girlfriend as soon as possible? You know to avoid the ugly scenes we’ve all had in the past?”

“Yes” He replied and they all laughed. A moment later Matt’s cell phone went off. He had left it in the kitchen. He got up to answer it, and when he didn’t come back right away Jes got concerned. So did Jimmy and Summer. Jes being the closest moved to the entrance to the kitchen.

“Matt? What’s wrong?” She asked when she saw his face.

“It’s Leanne. The orphanage slash adoption agency just called.”

“We’ll cut this short then.” Jes said and moved back to the other room to inform Summer and Jimmy of what was going on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lovez && Hugz && DeathBatKisses
xSweet.Afterlifex

Post Song:
Apologize - Silverstein Originally by: One Republic