‹ Prequel: Absolutely Hate You
Status: Working.

The Simple Love Story

We Don't Want to Get Into It.

Image

Matt's POV

I was glad that Bayley was ignoring me… kind of. I honestly didn't really care… kind of.

"Hey." I looked up from my textbook. I was in the small lunchroom of the ice skating rink. I was doing my homework while the guys were practicing.

"Hey." I said to Dex. He smiled and sat down.

"Aren't you practicing?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, I got benched." He said. I glared at him, then flicked his hand.

"How dare you." I said menacingly.

He raised his hands in the air, "It's not really my fault. Bayley is really good, actually he's amazing at blocking." Dex said. "Coach got mad at me for missing my amazing shots so he benched me." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Wow, you must've sucked." I said honestly. Hockey is real for me, I have no hold backs for hinters.

"Hey! That wasn't very nice you know?" He said.

"I was never very nice to begin with Dex." I said to him. He sighs and looks away. I probably did hurt his feelings.

"Hey. I'm…. sorry…." I said dragging it out. He looked at me and smiled.

"I'm sorry that you aren't very good at getting in the puck…. it's not all your fault." I said.

He gives a slight smile now, I sighed and continued doing my homework.

If I don't criticize him now, what if he loses out big game?

Right?

I'm not being mean… I'm just honest.

"Get the helmets, Matt." Sam said, I went to get the cart and as the guys exited out of the rink.

They threw in their helmets.

They muttered thanks but some didn't… I guess they were all exhausted.

I've been looking at the practice, Sam has them up to their necks on practice.

It was twice as hard. The guys panted often too.

Bayley was still on the rink, he was skating around without his helmet on, his helmet was placed in the rack by Clark. Bayley was doing free shots to the goal.

"He's one hard worker." Sam said.

"Yea… he is." I said back to Sam. Sam looked at me, and I looked up at my uncle.

"Why don't you join him? Give him some competition." Sam said and nudged his face towards Bayley on the rink. I nodded eagerly and went to place skates on quickly.

I slid on the rink and skated towards him with a hockey stick in my hand.

"Want a game?" I asked. He looked up at me, I was holding the stick between my legs so I could tie my hair into a pony tail.

"No. I think I'm going to leave." he said and started his way towards the exit door.

"What? You scared I'm going to beat you again?" I asked loudly.

"No. I'm not. I just don't want to play with you." he said and left.

I stood there…. utterly crushed somehow, but another part of me was cursing the hell out of him.

I don't know what I should do… should I skate towards him and ask him what was wrong?

Or should I just stand here and see him leave. It was too late…. He walked away again.

At night my mind went to Bayley and how he hurt me. He hurt my feelings, something I don't feel often.

I don't feel it often because I always block it out, that feeling. I wasn't hurt because he was cold and mean, I was hurt because he abandoned me.

He just left without a word.

I rolled over onto my side and clenched my blanket to me.

When he skated off, my heart sank and there was a lump in my throat. My eyes kept blinking and my hands shook. That was the physical feeling of it.

I sighed. I sat up from bed and went out of it towards the kitchen. I needed a drink. I walked into the kitchen to find Sam eating cereal.

"Hey, what are you doing up Matt?" He asks me. I bit my lower lip and walked to the fridge.

"I'm not feeling well." I said.

"What's up?" He asks me. I sat down to him in the chair of the kitchen table.

"…. It's not important." I said.

"Everything is always important." Sam replied to me. I sighed and poured milk into the glass. I never really drink milk, but when I was younger Sam always poured me milk when I was sad… I guess it became a go to move when I'm sad now. This is probably why he's persistent and curious.

"I just…. am I annoying?" I asked him.

"Surprisingly… not as much as others." He said.

"Am I ugly?" I asked him, his face went straight. I know why he was shocked, he was shocked because… this is the first time I have ever asked him this.

Bayley's POV

Concentrate.

I said to myself in my head as I skated around. No one was here right now, I was here all alone.

I was skating at 9 at night because… I have her in my mind. I have that image of her face when I rejected her.

When I was mean to her. Her eyes staring straight through me, her body still as if frozen, her lips with the slight frown.

I skated around faster.

Why am I such a fuckin dick-head?

"Hey, I knew I would find you here." I looked over to see Dex with his skates on skating towards me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, he shrugged.

"I saw and heard what happened today." Dex said.

"What?" I asked.

"How you rejected Matt." He said.

"Who told you?" I asked. I was pretty sure Dex was in the locker rooms before I did what I did to Matt.

"Dave… he was injured and on the stands." Dex said.

"Oh, stupid Dave." I said. Dex smiled.

"What's on your mind girlfriend?" Dex joked, I glared at him. "Sorry, we're in serious mode… got it."

"I was a douche bag, I guess." I said.

He snorted, "You were a cold ass douche bag, Dave said her face was horrible." Dex said, I couldn't feel more worst than right now.

"Dude, what was in your mind? She was willingly wanting to play with you." He said, "Where you scared of getting your ass beaten again?" Dex asks.

"No… I just… nevermind. I'm going home." I said and skated away.

"Fine, dude." Dex said when I left.

I laid in bed staggering awake each moment. Her eyes… and Sam's eyes.

Sam was my nightmare, I don't want to be kicked off the team.

And her eyes, my dreams, how I want to make her mine… because, I can't take her off my mind.