Status: I just put up the last chapter! I'm working on a sequel though :)

Cross my heart...

Warning

I sighed as I watched him walk away farther down the aisle and turn the corner.
I groaned and started walking next to Raquelle. What was he going to tell me? Ugh. Now this is gonna bug me all day.
“You really like him, don’t you?” Raquelle asked, wriggling her eyebrows.
Guess there’s no use lying about it, “Yeah, I actually do. I just met him and I feel like I’ve known him forever. It’s almost like he’s my best friend, you know?” I explained.
She smiled graciously, “I know exactly what you mean. James and I were best friends in high school. We were literally almost inseparable. We actually decided to go to college together. Around our second year of college, he finally asked me out on a date. At the end of our four years of college, on our graduation day, he asked me to marry him. We’ve been together ever since.” She looked over at me, her eyes filled with old memories. She smiled thoughtfully more to herself to me.
I returned her smile with a thoughtful one of my own, “I’m sorry, but why did you tell me all that? Not that I’m not enjoying the moment or anything.”
“Because the way Isaac looked at you reminded me of how James looked at me when we were your age. In fact, he does still look at me that way. Love comes in the weirdest places and at the unexpected times. Along with the people you never thought it would be possible. You never know when it’s going to happen. James and never imagined we would end up together. Never even dreamed of it.” She explained, the corner of her mouth turning up as her thoughts wandered.
“Wow, so you and James have been together a while now huh? How long exactly? If you don’t mind me asking.” I asked innocently.
“Well, I had Mason about…” She held up her fingers while looking up into space, counting the time, “eight years after we got married then two years later, I had Nevaeh. In July we had our anniversary. So I would say about 10 years.” She explained, making it more complicated than it needed to be.
“So that would make you… thirty-three, right? How old would that make James?”
She glared at me, playfully of course, “How’d you know I was thirty-three? And he’ll be thirty-four in November.”
I laughed as she wagged her index in my face, “I was just guessing off the information you gave m.”
She smiled, “Okay, good enough.”
I smiled back, “So, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you two do for the first eight years of your marriage? Trying to have Mason?” I asked.
Her smile faded and she got a pained glint in her eyes, “No, a year after we were married, we had our first daughter. Then another daughter when she was five.”
I hesitated, “Oh. What happened to them?”
She looked down to take a minute to compose herself before explaining, “I’d rather not talk about it, if you don’t mind.”
She started walking again. I put my hand on hers to stop her, “Will you ever tell me?”
She stopped and looked into my eyes, “Someday, but most definitely not now.”
I sighted, “Alright. I can respect that.”
“Okay. So did you find any clothes you liked?” She asked, completely changing the topic along with her mood.
“Oh, well, I didn’t really look around considering you already bought me an entire new wardrobe. I didn’t need anything else.” I explained shyly.
“Oh, honey, you could never have too much clothes!” She grabbed my hand and led me to the wondrous world of fashionable clothes.
She let go of my hand to dig through a rack of dresses, “Can we just find me something to wear on the first day of school? I feel like I’m robbing you of your money.”
Her eyes glued to the dress rack, she said, “Oh, that’s utter nonsense,” she sighed and looked around. She perked up when she saw something she liked and turned back to me, “But, if you insist, we’ll just find you something super cute for your first day. In fact, I think I found the perfect dress.”
She grabbed ahold of my hand and bolted to where a display of dresses was. She even forgot the cart.
“Okay, but it better not be too flashy.” I told her.
She looked back at me and gave me a small grin, “Depends.” Was all she said before letting go of my hand in front of a particularly stunning dress.
Raquelle broke the moment of silence as I just stared at the dress, “So, what do you think?”
It was a snow white, halter top dress that had a gold zipper going down from the top right shoulder down to the waist on the left side. It flared from the waist down to the knees.
“I love it! How much is it?” I asked, exasperated.
I picked up the price tag and took a quick glance; I dropped the tag almost as soon as I picked it up, “Forty dollars… its forty dollars!”
Raquelle bit her lip and smiled sheepishly, “Yeah, I know. But c’mon, Haley. It’ll be so worth it. Have a little fun! This is what shopping is for!” She exclaimed.
I sighed, almost convinced, “But, it’s your money. And, once again I feel like I’m robbing you of your money.” I explained, looking down at my feet.
She sighed and tilted my head to look at her, “Once again, Haley, I’m doing this because I want to, not because I think I have to. Look, do you want the dress or not honey?”
“… Yes.” I answered shyly.
She smiled, “Okay then-” she turned away and rummaged through the rack of dresses for on my size. She squealed with delight, letting me know automatically she found one. She pulled it off the rack and held it against my body, “We’ll get it for you Hun.” She said, giving an undeniable smile.
I turned away and looked in the cart, “Is that all we’re getting?”
There was my dress, little blue overalls for Mason, a pink flowery dress for Nevaeh, milk, eggs, all sorts of vegetable, and a bag of potatoes.
“Yup. I thought since this was our last stop, I’d just get all the groceries here. We don’t need much.” She explained as she gracefully put everything on the table to be scanned.
I grabbed all the bags and put them in the cart as she paid. When the checker at the check register was giving Raquelle her chance back, I started rolling to the sliding glass doors marked “exit”.
We walked up to an old man with a long white beard almost as long as my hair who was asking for receipts.
This man was intimidating to say the least. He stood about six feet and four inches tall. He was built. He was in good shape for a man who looked to be in his sixties. His eyes were so brown they almost looked black.
We handed him our receipt. He checked it off with a mini highlighter pen and handed it back to us, “have a nice day ladies.”
Raquelle didn’t seem to notice when he looked directly at me and winked.
I grunted in disgust and rolled my eyes. I started to walk with Raquelle to the doors.
I glanced back at him, but I didn’t see the tall, intimidating older man. Instead I saw a very handsome young guy with coppery blonde hair and stood just as tall as the man before.
I caught his attention and noticed his eyes. They were bluer than the Pacific Ocean itself. If I stare long enough, I’d surely drown in their depths.
He just smiled a splendid gin and winked.
I blinked. I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.
He was gone. All I saw was the old man again. I turned away, feeling strangely embarrassed.
Ugh. My eyes must be playing tricks on me again.
I sighed and helped load the groceries in the back of the SUB along with the whole new wardrobe Raquelle bought me.
I hopped in the passenger seat and waited patiently for Raquelle to put the cart away then drive us home.
She got in the car and put the right key in the ignition and started the car. “We better get home. Dinner’s in an hour.”
“Okie dokie artichokey.” I said, smiling over at her.
She laughed and mumbled something under her breath that sounded a lot like “dork”.
We didn’t talk much of the ride home, but it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, thank goodness.
“So… Did you have fun?” Raquelle asked randomly after one of my favorite songs, If I Die Young by The Band Perry.
“Yeah, actually, I did. It was really, really fun. Probably one of the most fun days I’ve had. Well besides the day Tracy and I went to Lagoon together for the first time. Thanks so much Raquelle. I really needed this.” I explained.
She quickly glanced over at me and smiled lovingly before the light could turn green, “You’re very welcome, Hun.”
There was a twinge of something hidden deep in her voice and showed slightly in her falter smile.
She looked over at me again once we hit another stop light.
Her clear mossy green eyes seemed a little fogged over.
The twinge is what I realize now as guilt. Sadness was showing itself slightly though her tight-lipped smile. Through the light fog in her eyes, I detected a hint of shame. It was obvious she was trying really hard to conceal something from me.
I gently put my and on her shoulder, “Umm… Raquelle, are you okay? It seems like there’s something wrong.” I asked, concerned.
She turned away for a moment to look at the light as I waited patiently for her to respond. When she turned her head to me, tears were flowing like a waterfall down her soft skin.
“Oh, Raquelle, why are you crying? Did I do something wrong? Was it something I said?” I quickly moved my hand from her shoulder to take her hand that was lying in the empty space between us.
She sighed and patted my hand, “No, honey, it’s just me. I did this to you. I’m so ashamed of it!” She yelled, looking down at our clutched hands.
I looked up at her confused, “What do you mean? What exactly did you do to me? I don’t understand.”
“I… I…-” She looked around hesitantly. She was trying to stall, “-I took you away from Laura. I know how much you love her.”
For some odd reason, I had a strange feeling that’s not what she was going to say. Instead of persecuting her, I decided to put it to the side and laughed it off, “Is that it? That’s what you did to me?” I laughed, “Raquelle, yes, I love Laura very much. She’ll always have a place in my heart; but, I would’ve had to leave in a year anyway. Now there’s a place for you and James, Mason and Nevaeh to. No matter what, there will always be a place for my new family.” I explained, smiling and gently rubbing the pad of my thumb against the smooth skin of her hand.
I saw a slow, whole-hearted smile spread on her lips as she stared at our hands.
She looked up into my eyes. Her eyes were clear of fog and her smile was sweet and tender.
I looked up at the light right as it turned green.
“I hate to ruin such a beautiful moment but the light’s green.” I mentioned, slowly letting go of her hand so she could drive.
We didn’t get too far after she started driving when she said, “Thank you Haley.”
I looked at her sideways, “For what?”
“For saying what you just said. It made me feel a whole lot better.” She said with enthusiasm.
“Well, the truth can do that sometimes.” I said, smiling.
She just nodded and smiled then turned her head and eyes back to watch the road.
We didn’t talk the rest of the way home. I could see her take short, silent glances my way out of the corner of my eyes. Before I could return the glance, she would quickly look away.
Right when we walked through the door, Mason yelled, “Lee!” and jumped into my arms when I bent and held them out for him. He wrapped his pudgy little arms around my neck.
“Did you miss me Mason? Hmm:” I laughed as he gave me a spacious grin and nodded excitedly. I gently threw him on the couch and tickled his sides as he laughed hysterically.
Raquelle and James stood by, smiling and watching with thoughtful gazes.
James slinked his arm around Raquelle’s tiny waist and practically buried his face in her neck. Raquelle just smiled and giggled. “Just to let you guys know, dinner’s ready.” James said.
“Oh, I thought I smelled something delicious.” I gestured for everyone to head into the dining room with my right hand, the other holding on to Mason.
James moved his hand from her waist to her hand and lightly kissed her on the cheek before leading all of us to the dining room.
The table was set with the good china plates and a white linen cloth cloaked over its surface. In the middle of the table, there was a steaming roast beef on a silver platter. Beside that mesmerizing roast sat a bowl of gravy, corn, and a plate of potatoes. Alongside that was a bowl of cooked carrots.
I looked up at James who was standing next me, ‘What’s the occasion?”
He looked down at me with gentle eyes and smiled, “You are Haley.”
Shocked, I stuttered, “Me? Why me?”
He took my hand in his and lightly squeezed, “For being here, living with us. Making our family complete. Oh, and you starting school on Monday.”
The statement brought tears to my eyes, “That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me, James. Thank you.” I turned and draped my arms around his waist and squeezed him in a tight hug. He kissed me lightly on the head and patted my back.
I sat down in my already accustomed spot while Raquelle asked me what I would like on my plate.
“So how was your girls’ day out shopping? Anything interesting happen?” James asked as he fed Nevaeh a spoonful of mashed potatoes.
“It was great! We ran into Isaac to.”
“Really? What was he there for?”
I ran into him in the sports section. Literally.” I giggled.
They laughed, “So what did you get?”
“A little too much, in my opinion. Raquelle insisted that money was no object.” I explained.
He just chuckled, “I agree with Raquelle. We just want you to feel at home and have a life a teenage girl like you is supposed to have.”
I thought about it for a long minute. Guess while I’m here there’s no shame in that. Even though it seems like they’re trying to buy my love. Maybe they’re doing it for the reason they say. They seem nice enough.
“Okay. I’ll believe you… for now: I said as they grinned.
After dinner, I excused myself to my room. I picked up Poison Study and glided to my bed, exhausted. I kicked my shoes off and massaged my feet until they weren’t so sore anymore. I sighed as I laid my head back against the pillows, opened my book and began to read where I left off.
It was 9:45 when I decided it was time for me to go to bed.
I was hesitant to turn off the lights and crawl in the sheets to go to sleep. Knowing I’m either going to have a memory of what happened years ago or have another strange prehistoric dream I’ve been having lately; kind of freaked me out.
I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes and just waited for restless sleep to take me in its light grip.
When I opened my eyes, it was different this time. I wasn’t having either nightmare. This “dream: started off as pure darkness. I couldn’t see anything. Then I see bright light spilling waves of security in me, warding away the darkness.
I silently stood there and watched in amazement as the light spread over the dark void.
Once there was no more darkness and my vision was filled with nothing but white, there was a figure standing where the light was shining the brightest.
It began to walk toward me.
I was perfectly calm until I realized it was a man. I started to panic and tried backing away. Problem was I couldn’t move my feet.
The closer he came, the more I struggled.
When he came to stand before me, I didn’t dare open my eyes. Scare of who I might see and how much pain they were going to inflict on me.
“Haley, open your eyes. There’s no reason to be afraid.” A kind, silky voice said. I felt a warm hand on my chin, pulling my face upwards.
I slowly opened my eyes to meet the unusual hazel green eyes with tiny specks of brown in them.
I realized I was looking into the depths of Isaac’s eyes.
He let his hand fall to take my left hand. I reached up with my right hand to stroke his face, ignoring the bright throbbing in my ruby ring.
“What are you doing in my dreams?” I asked, hearing my voice echo so soft and sweet into the far distance.
He just smiled and leaned his head into the palm of my hand. He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, savoring the moment, before opening his eyes and began explain, “You have to leave your family. They’re not who you think they are. Something very terrible is going to happen to you on your seventeenth birthday. Run. Run as far as you can from here.”
The urgency and awareness in his voice made me confused and frightened all at the same time.
“Isaac, what are you talking about? What’s going on? How am I in danger?”
“I can’t explain and I can’t tell you until the time is right. You’re turning into something terrible, horrible… frightening. You need to make sure to take that ring off, burn it, burry it, do whatever you can to destroy it… either that…or destroy him.”
He threw me off with the whole “Destroy him: bit. Shocked, I let my hand fall from his face and to my side as I pulled my left hand out of his grasp. He looked hurt by this simple movement, “Who’s him?” I asked, sounding harsher than I intended.
He hesitated before answering, “I can’t tell you just yet. Just please… please do as I say… if you won’t do it for me… do it for your safety. You’ll die if you stay here. Or worse.” He begged.
The pained look on his face made me want to believe him so badly. I reached up to caress his face again, trying to smooth away all his fears and concerns. I reached with my other hand for his as he reached for mine. Our hands laced together perfectly.
Why do I have to do this? Why me? I don’t want to leave such an amazing life with such a great family. I don’t want to leave when things just start to go well for me.
He leaned in close enough that I could feel his rapid breathing against my loose lips.
I stared into his gorgeous eyes for what seemed like forever.
His lips barely touched mine when the pure white light was gone. It unfortunately took Isaac with it. Now I lay silent in my bed, staring at the clock. which just so happened to read 2:10 a.m.
Ugh. Not again. I rolled over on my other side to try and hide from the glowing red letters that seemed to torment me.
So I let my mind wander of all the things Isaac told me.
Raquelle Tincher is not who I think she is? Sweet, loving Raquelle? Not possible. What about James? He’s a pretty good guy. There is absolutely no possible way this family can be worse than I think. Definitely not Mason and Nevaeh. What’s the worst thing they can do? Throw food at me?
What does he freaking mean? Why does everything have to be so complicated!
I sat up and climbed out of bed and went downstairs to get a quick snack to help get me back to sleep.
I opened the fridge and saw leftovers from dinner last night and the night before, frosting, milk, etc.
I found an apple in the bottom drawer in the fridge next to eh celery and carrots.
I went to the food closet and found a jar of creamy peanut butter. Yay!
I sliced my apple into eight pieces and dipped slice after slice into the jar of deliciousness
After I was done, I cleaned up my ness and drank a glass of milk before heading up to my room.
Once I got to my room, I noticed it too me twenty minutes to have a small snack. Wow, I’m very slow.
I climbed into bed and stared up into the surprisingly bright ceiling.
I looked over to the window, which was all the way across the room to see if the curtains were closed. They were.
Why is it so bright for this early in the morning?
I realized when I went downstairs, I didn’t turn on any lights and I maneuvered in the dark just as well.
Holy crap! I can see in the freaking dark!
I really am changing; but what am I changing into? And should I even like this? Should I be frightened out of my shorts?
I smiled. I wonder what else I can do. Probably not a lot right now. Maybe I’ll test it out tomorrow.
I suddenly frowned. Why am I so happy about this and so eager to test it out? I should be upset. Frightened at the least.
I so shouldn’t be enjoying it.
Isaac was right. Well, dream Isaac. I am turning into something terrible. I need to get away from here as soon as possible; but how? How am I supposed to get out of here when I’ already so very comfortable?
Ugh! So confusing!
I turned over on my stomach and stared off in some distant fantasy world where things weren’t so… complicated and unnatural. I imagined this wondrous world until my eyes dropped closed and I finally had a peaceful, dreamless sleep I haven’t had in months.
♠ ♠ ♠
please tell me if this is getting any good or if i should just quit while i'm ahead. haha please be honest.