Status: I just put up the last chapter! I'm working on a sequel though :)

Cross my heart...

Visitor

When Raquelle came in and woke me up, I felt restless; like I haven’t really slept in days.
“Sweetie, we’re going to church. So I need you to hurry and get ready. We’re leaving in a half hour.” I heard the amused smile in her voice when I groaned and rolled around in the bed.
My eyes were still closed when I heard a silent click as the door shut across the room.
I waited for a few minutes before I opened my eyes, rolled out of bed and dragged my feet to the floor. I lolled my head towards the bathroom door that just happened to be across m wide bedroom. I groaned.
When I took a step towards the bathroom, all I was thinking was how much I wanted to get this over with and quick. I just closed my eyes when I felt a cool breeze and a hard impact on my chest and head. I fell hard to the ground. I looked up to see a closed bathroom door that I just ran into. Now all I was thinking was what the heck was going on?
I glanced over my shoulder to my bed behind me. Wasn’t I over there, like, two seconds ago?
“Huh.” I grunted as I lifted myself off the floor. I opened the door to the bathroom and turn on the facet to wash my face and brush my teeth. I went back into my room and glided to my desk to where my church dress was neatly displayed across the back of my desk chair.
I picked up the think fabric to fully look at it.
It was a bright yellow sundress that ended with a white silky ribbon just below the knees. There were no sleeves; instead it was a modest halter top. There was another white ribbon just under the breasts, ending in strips down the sides so it can tie in the back.
I slipped out of my night gown and into the beautiful sundress.
I twirled and danced in front of the full-length mirror. Dang! I look good in yellow. I smirked at my reflection.
I pulled on a pair of levi shorts before sliding my feet into the white flats with yellow strips on them that Raquelle bought yesterday along with the entire shoe collection still in their boxes hidden in my closet.
I stared at myself in the mirror and decided to leave my hair down in long, golden locks down my back. I swayed a few locks to the front.
I spread my makeup on the counter next to the sink and quickly just put on the necessities.
I gave my reflection a once-over. Satisfied, I gave it a grin. Not too much and not too little. Just the right amount.
When I walked downstairs, no one was there.
I heard a loud honk come from outside. Hmm. Guess they’re already in the car.
Feeling strangely graceful, I glided out the front door and down the driveway. Raquelle turned around and smiled at me from the passenger seat as I slid into the backseat next to Nevaeh while she was giggling and laughing in her car seat.
We weren’t driving for too long before we turned into the entrance of a church chapel.
We pulled in a parking space not too far from the entrance. When I slid out and straightened my dress, I turned and you’ll never believe who I saw.
Isaac was stepping out of a navy blue Nissan Altima. H was wearing tan slacks with a pure white button up dress shirt. The first two buttons were undone to reveal a sky blue undershirt. He looks pretty hand good today if I do saw so myself.
When he noticed me drooling over him, he purposefully stretched and flexed his muscles and graced me with a smile and a wink.
I blushed and quickly turned away with embarrassment. I went ahead of the rest of them and walked as quickly as I could to the entryway to wait for them. I didn’t dare look back, for I knew he was watching me. I could feel his gaze burning a hole in my back.
I finally got to the door and just waited for Raquelle and James.
I heard heavy footsteps coming from around the corner along with Raquelle’s soft voice.
I looked to where her voice was coming from and waited. I expected them to come around the corner any second from how loud her voice was. But he didn’t turn around the bend till a few more seconds than expected. Beside her was Isaac. Then behind him were James and the kids. Nevaeh and Mason were wearing the clothes Raquelle bought them yesterday.
I finally noticed Raquelle and Isaac were talking about me. Oh. Crap. This definitely can’t be good.
“She’s such a sweet girl. I’m so glad she’s in our little family now. I think you would really like her, Isaac.” Raquelle bragged with a bright smile.
He smiled back, “I think I’m beginning to.” He glanced my way with an elegance I’ve never seen in a man. His smile turned thoughtful.
“Haley, come on. We’re going to be late.” Raquelle called to me as she stepped in the doorway and waited for me.
She sighed and went inside. Isaac stayed behind and waited for me.
He held out his hand with a sly smile.
I ignored it and walked right past him, staring down at my shoes.
He had the door already propped open as we walked in.
So, as far as mistakes go, I decided to make a total fool of myself in front of Isaac and everyone in the entire chapel. With everything running in my mind, I didn’t see the step that was right in front of my face and tripped over it.
I sealed my eyes shut and locked my jaw in place, waiting for the hard blow of the cold floor. I reached out my arms in a weak attempt to grab hold of something besides air. When my hands grabbed onto something that felt like fabric, I took a wild chance and locked my arms tightly around the solid build. I felt hands slink around my waist and upper back. I kept my eyes closed, afraid to see who was holding me up.
I finally got the courage to open my eyes. Once I did, I regretted it almost instantly. I was staring straight into Isaac’s gorgeous green eyes.
There was a spark of electricity that flowed serenely between us. Before I realized it, he was leaning down toward me as his hands were bringing me up towards him.
I was doing back flips inside as I closed my eyes and waited for the pressure of his lips against mine; but, instead, I was flung to my feet, stunned. He whispered seductively against my ear, “Not in the house of God.”
He hesitated and took a little longer than needed to let go of my waist.
He sighed as his hands slid away but his touch didn’t fade and neither did his voice echoing in the back of my head.
I turned my head and watched him walk away confidently, silently wishing him to come back to me.
I looked around and all eyes were on me. I could feel the heat rise to my face, shame and embarrassment overcoming me. I hung my head and quickly fast-walked over to where I saw Raquelle sitting and the seat she was saving for me. She patted and rubbed my shoulder in sympathy. Ugh! How embarrassing…
Raquelle lifted my head to look at her. She rubbed my burning red cheek. She frowned and mouthed, “I’m so sorry.”
I looked over to see Isaac take the empty seat next to me. He sighed and eyed me out of the corer o his eye. Once he saw the disbelieving look I gave him, he smirked.
I was just about to give him a piece of my mind when the program suddenly started and everyone got quiet.
I sat in perfect silence until the program ended… all of them.
They sang, they preached, they prayed, they even got up and danced. Once it all was finally over, I shot up out of my seat and shuffled past Isaac, not looking at him once. I let go of the breath I didn’t realize I was holding when I got to where I was heading; the food display at the back of the church.
I was slightly disappointed when all I saw were mainly finger foods and sweets for the younger kids.
But I did notice they had donuts. Unfortunately, I also noticed there was only one of my favorite type left: chocolate covered.
I finally got through the long line of people who were crowding around the table. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the donut was still there. I was reaching for it when someone beat me to it and snatched it up. The smile on my face vanished almost instantly when I looked up to see Isaac with my precious donut.
“Hey there Haley.” He smirked as he slowly lifted the delicious donut to his lips.
“What is up with you today?” I asked.
“What do you mean?” He asked with the donut hesitated at his lips.
I chuckled with no hint of humor, “You’re acting kinda like a childish jerk to be honest. You embarrass the crap out of me at the entrance, which was very rude by the way. You smirked at me for some odd reason when you sat next to me. And now you’re stealing my donut? Unbelievable.” I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest
He just stared at me stunned, “I’m sorry, Haley. How about we share the donut? You see, it’s the last one of my favorite kind.” He stuck out his lip as if to pout. He wasn’t adorable enough for it so it just looked like he had a fat lip.
I struggled to hold back a laugh, “All right. But if you cut it unevenly, I get the bigger half.” I joked.
He smiled, “Deal.” He picked up one of the plastic butter knives from a box and swiped it over the donut in one quick motion. He held up the two pieces, perfectly even, and then gave me a half as he bit into the other.
“So I need to ask you something.” He said around a mouthful of donut.
“And that would be? I asked, forcing down the bite I had.
He looked down sheepishly, “I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my house and hangout after church?” He asked with his head hung low. He didn’t look up at me once.
I stared up at him and just waited for him to finally look me in the face before I even answered. When, at last, he did, I smiled, “Yeah. Sure. Just let me go find Raquelle and ask her.” I explained. I was about to turn away to go hunt her down when Isaac caught my hand in his and gently pulled me back to him, “I already asked her. She said it was fine. She said we could leave once they stopped serving food.” He explained. Just then, as if on cue, someone shouted that the food tables were picked clean already. They were closing it up.
I laughed, “Gee whiz. Right on cue. Let’s go.” I said, bee-lining it to the exit.
Raquelle stepped in front of me simultaneously. I almost rammed into her.
She had a gentle but stern expression on her face, “Where are you going?”
I swallowed the frog in my throat, “I’m going to leave with Isaac. We’re gonna go back to his house and hangout for a bit. Is that okay?”
She lost the stern expression and smiled, “Oh of course! I forgot! Yes, yes of course it’s fine. Just be home before dark sweetie.” Raquelle warned then flung her arms around my neck in a warm hug. The she whispered, “I love you, Haley.”
She caught me off guard with those three simple words. I didn’t know what to say, I panicked. So when I said it back, I was surprised to realize I actually meant them.
She cleared a way for Isaac and to get through. I said my thanks to Raquelle and walked out the door to the Nissan Altima I saw Isaac driving.
I stood by the passenger seat door and waited patiently for him to open his door and unlock mine.
At first we drove in complete silence. Then, right out of the blue, he asked, “So where you from?”
I thought for a minute, almost forgetting, “West Jordan.”
“Hmm,” he hesitated, “no offence, but why did Raquelle and James adopt you?”
“Well,” I thought, “I personally think it’s because the need an in-house babysitter or something. Someone they don’t exactly have to pay. What better way to do that than have another except full grown?” I explained solemnly.
He laughed shyly, “Yeah, I guess. I’m real sorry. What ever happened to your real family anyway? If you don’t mind me asking.” He asked quietly, taking short, quick glimpses at me from the corner of his eye.
Flashbacks started playing in my head like an old movie, “I’m sorry but, umm, I’d rather keep that private. Not even Raquelle knows so don’t take it personally.” I explained whole heartedly.
“It’s cool. I kinda understand how it feels.”
I stared at him skeptically. I severely doubt he knows how I feel, “How?”
The car was slowly starting to stop. I was wondering why until I looked up to see a red light. When I looked back at him, he was staring at me with the most sorrowful eyes. He leaned his head on the head rest, looking ten years older, “I also rather not talk about it.”
I looked down at my hands then back up at him, not too sure of what to say. Suddenly, his eyes lost the sorrow glint and he looked seventeen again, just like his usual, playful self, “So do you wanna stop and get something to eat or go straight to my house and eat there? You must be hungry considering you only had half a donut.” He laughed.
“Uh… let’s go straight to your house.” I grinned.
“Why?” He asked his eyes all puppy-like.
“I just don’t really care for fast food. I like home-made better.”
He grinned, “Well then lucky for you I’m and excellent cook.”
“Oh yeah? What’s your specialty then?” I teased, wiggling my eyebrows playfully.
“Mostly cereal. But I make a real mean turkey sandwich.” He beamed.
I just laughed. The next think I know, we are pulling into a driveway. I looked up through the windshield to his house. I was shocked to realize it looked similar to mine. He obviously lived pretty close, maybe walking distance.
“How far do you live from me?” I asked, still staring up at his house, curiosity taking the best of me.
“Pretty dang close.” He said in the midst of shutting down his car.
“How close?” I asked suspiciously.
He looked at me in amusement, “I can see your bedroom through my bedroom window. In fact, I can just hop the fence to be in your backyard.”
I gasped, “… Have you been spying on me?”
He grinned devilishly, “… I guess you can say that,” he paused, contemplating what to say next, “Do you remember the other day when I dropped by for some salt?”
“Umm… yeah?”
He smiled, “I didn’t really need it. It was just an excuse to meet you.” He told me as he climbed out of his side of the car.
I smiled then got out of the car myself and followed him up the walkway to his house like a little lost puppy.
He just walked in, leaving the door open for me.
I hesitated before walking in to his living room. It looked almost exactly like Raquelle’s. The only difference was the furniture and its placement.
“You want anything? Water? Soda? Food?” He called to me from the kitchen, peeking his head from around the corner.
“Uh… I’ll have one of your real mean turkey sandwiches. What kind of soda do you have?” I asked walking around the corner to the kitchen.
I walked in to see him mixing mayo, ketchup, and barbeque sauce in a bowl.
“Umm… What on earth is that gunk you’re mixing?” I asked jokingly.
He pretended to look wounded then smiled, “It’s going to be fry sauce once I’m done with it.”
“Ah, I see. That makes sense. You’re going to put it on the sandwich, huh? Is it any good?”
“It’s freakin’ delicious! What else do you want on it? Lettuce? Tomato? Cheese?”
“All of the above would be super fantastic, thanks.” I said with a flirty smile.
The spoon he was mixing with flipped out of his hand, “Umm, yup. No problem. Coming right up. Oh and we have Sprite, Root beer, Pepsi, and Coke. I think that’s it.”
“Hmm… okay. I’ll have a Coke and Sprite mixed.” I smiled innocently.
He peeked over his shoulder at me with a curious smirk. He shook his head and shrugged then went back to what he was doing before getting the two liter bottles of coke and Sprite. He mixed them together then handed it over to me.
“Do you want some music?” He asked.
“Alright, what do you have?”
He smiled, “Well… since you’re a girl in all, I have some country,” He grabbed a pile of cd’s off the counter next to a stereo and started naming off some country artists, “I have Reba, Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Tm McGraw, etc. My mom is really into country.” He teased.
I stuck my tongue out at him like a child, “Eh. That stuff is cool in all but not really me. Got any KoRn? Slipknot? Trapt? Any good rock music? Or do you listen to a lot of country like you mom?” I teased back.
He gave a wicked smile an evil glint in his eyes, “I never would have thought in a million years a girl like you would like rock.”
“Well, the longer you know me the more you’ll know I’m full of surprises,” I said, slowly looking up at him through my thick eyelashes, a slow, flirty grin spreading on my pink lips.
He was just staring at me with those googly eyes I thought I could only see in hose old cartoons. When in the world did I become so confident?
I could feel my confidence start to fade as heat began to rise to my face. I was hoping he would look away soon just when a pit bull ran up to me and started barking hysterically at me.
“Spike! No! Down boy!” Isaac yelled as he grabbed Spike by the collar, pulling him away from me harshly.
Spike finally calmed down. He hesitantly padded over to me as I reached out my hand to him to him. He started to sniff my hand, “awe. I think he likes me.” I said just as Spike took off to the living room. We laughed in unison.
He finished the two turkey sandwiches and mixed me another Coke and Sprite in less than five whole minutes.
He handed me my plate and drink. As I took them from him he smile, C’mon. Let’s go in the living room.”
I followed him into the next room like a little lost puppy.
We sat down on his black leather sofa. When I took the first bite of my sandwich, Spike randomly jumped on the couch next to me, almost making me drop my sandwich.
I slowly look over at him. The way he was just staring at me and panting made me think he was either going to eat the sandwich or me.
I leaned over to Isaac and whispered, “Do you think he’ll bite me if I try to pet him?” In case Spike could possibly understand a word I was saying, I said it lower than implied.
Isaac smiled and leaned in closer, “No.”
I smiled at him before I leaned away and slowly reached my hand over to Spike and patted his head. Then as I rubbed his head, he leaned into my hand.
“Okay. I officially think he likes you now.” He stated, scooting closer and putting his arm around my shoulder.
I smiled then turned my head to look at him. My lips lightly brushed his cheek.
When he turned his head a little more, I saw an impish grin spread across his lips. It slowly faded as his breathing became more rapid and his heart beat thumping like a drum. He was thinking the same thing I was.
He slowly leaned in and closed his eyes as I did the same. I hooked my hand behind his neck and threaded my fingers through his soft hair. But just when our lips almost met, the radio in the kitchen started blaring.
Startled, we both jumped up. He looked at me apologetically before he hurried off to the kitchen to turn it down.
I plopped back down on the couch. So close! So freaking close!
I sighed with frustration and looked over at Spike at the other end of the couch, “I’m never going to catch a break, am I?” I didn’t really expect an answer, but to my dismay, he shook his head no. Smart dog.
I laughed and smiled at Spike, “Sorry I must’ve sat on the remote.” I turned around to see Isaac turn the corner to the living room; his face bright red with embarrassment and his body more than a little tense.
He came and sat on the couch with me but refused to meet my gaze, “So… where were we?” I asked.
He coughed, “We were eating. And watching T.V if you’d like?” He offered, trying harder to avoid my patronizing gaze.
“No thanks. I like talking better than watching T.V.” I replied automatically.
He blushed and resituated himself uncomfortably, still avoiding my eyes, “Um… Okay. Sure.”
I sighed and took a major chunk out of my sandwich. When I swallowed, I asked, “So how do you and Raquelle know each other?”
He took a small bite, “I moved here about five years ago. She was gardening out back while I was jumping and doing tricks on my trampoline. I offered to help with her gardening because James was at work and, even though it wasn’t really obvious yet, she was pregnant. Ever since then, we’ve just gotten close,” He explained.
“So that’s how you guys met? Through gardening? Huh… interesting. So… do you still have that trampoline?” I asked, giving him a devilish grin.
For the first time since the awkward moment when the music started blaring, he looked at me with an identical devilish grin, “Let’s finish our food first.” He suggested.
“Okay, okay. Then hurry because I’m already almost done.” I warned before taking another huge chunk out of my sandwich. When I saw him looking at me funny out of the corner of my eye, I slowly looked at him. He quickly looked away with a slight smile on his lips. I smiled, “What? I asked around a mouthful of turkey sandwich.
He gave a quiet laugh and shook his head, “Nothing. It’s nothing.”
“It seems like something. And, being me, I’m not going to leave you alone until you tell me,” I teased, poking his shoulder.
His laugh was surprisingly low and husky, “Oh really now? Is that a threat or a promise?” He teased back, bumping his shoulder against mine.
I smiled, “It’s most definitely a promise. Are you done with your sandwich Mr. Stud-muffin?” I asked.
He smiled, “Actually, yes, I am. Are you?”
I looked down at my sandwich sheepishly, “One second,” I told him before taking an enormous bite out of my sandwich. Once I swallowed, I finished it off with another big bite, “Okay. Now I’m done.” I grinned.
He laughed, “Okay, then let’s go out back.”
“Alrighty. Let’s go!” I shouted and stood up, taking his hand in mine and started dragging him with me through the kit hen and through his sliding glass door. When I saw the trampoline, I immediately threw off my shoes and took off running to it.
When I realized he wasn’t following, I turned around and looked at him. He was just staring at me in utter shock, “May I remind you, Haley, you’re indeed wearing a dress. This is a trampoline. You sure you want to do this? I think we both know where this could end up.”
I smiled, “Isaac, relax. There is nothing to worry about. Even if you wanted to, you wouldn’t be able to see anything good under this dress,” I explained while lifting up my dress to show hi the jean shorts I was wearing, “I would never in a million years wear a dress without something under it.” I smiled and hopped on the trampoline with no struggle. I started jumping, getting higher and higher. I decided to be a show-off and do a back flip, landing perfectly on my feet.
When I turned around, he was just gaping at me in amazement, “Well? What are you waiting for? Come up here and jump with me. It is your trampoline; I don’t wanna be up here all by myself!” I smirked.
He finally gave in and took off his shoes before he came on with me. We started jumping. “Okay… let’s play… a game…” I offered, already breathless.
“Okay… what did… you have… in mind?” He asked, also breathless.
“You’re going to laugh at me. It’s a childish game I used to play when I was little with my dad. It’s called popcorn.”
He laughed hysterically, “Are you serious? Popcorn? Okay, okay. How do you play?”
I smiled, “We jump at the same time and count to three. Then we stop and see who bounces the highest, yells popcorn. Hence the name.” I explained.
“Okay. Sounds easy enough. Let’s play.” He smiled.
I smiled back, “Okay. 1… 2… 3!” I yelled then stopped jumping when he did.
Being the smaller one out of the two of us, I went soaring. I was so close to landing on him. But he inched away just in time, making me land next to him and roll into his arms. Breathless, I laughed and whispered, “Popcorn.”
He laughed and we just laid there of r a few seconds. Best second in my entire life to be exact. It felt more to me. But, like the saying goes, all good things have to come to an end.
“So… you know pretty much everything about Raquelle and James right?”
“Umm… yeah. I think so. Why?”
“Well, then, you know she’s had two kids before Mason and Nevaeh right?”
He shot up and stared at me wide-eyed, “No, I didn’t!”
“Oh, uh, oops. I guess I shouldn’t have told you then. My bad.”
He laughed with no humor in his voice, “Uh, no. You’re not getting of that easy. You brought it up, so now you’re going to tell me.” He told me.
“Ugh. Okay. I just wanted to know if you knew what happened to her first two children. I guess she didn’t tell you because it’s too hard. I mean, I’m surprised she even told me. You should’ve seen the look on her face. It almost made me want to cry.” I explained, spacing off and staring into the blackness of the trampoline; remembering Raquelle’s face when she told me.
“Oh, I’m sorry Haley.” He said putting his arm around me.
I looked up at him, “Sorry for what?”
“Because I couldn’t help you very much,” He replied.
I sighed, “It’s okay, it’s not your fault. It’s mine. I really shouldn’t be snooping anyway; it’s none of my business what happened.”
“Well, I guess not. But it’s not your fault either. I would’ve snooped to if I found something huge like that,” He added.
“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” I gave him a fake smile.
He seemed to have bought it, “See? All better now. Let’s go inside and watch a movie or something. It’s getting kinda hot out here, don’t you think?” He asked, giving my arm a gentle squeeze.
I laughed, “Yeah, I guess. But I, on the other hand can withstand the heat, Guys are such wimps sometimes.” I teased, lightly punching his arm.
He rubbed and held his arm where I punched him, “Ouch. That really hurt,” He teased back, “C’mon. We’ll come back out when it’s not so hot… and when the stars are out.” He grinned.
“Okay, okay, I still think you’re a wimp though,” I grinned and stuck my tongue out.
“OH, I’ll prove I’m not a wimp.”
“How? Watching a scary movie and not getting scared?” I snorted.
“… Maybe.” He answered with a smile.
I stopped laughing and just stared at him, “You can’t be serious. I bet you twenty dollars you’re going to get freaked out at least once.”
“Okay. You’re on!” He said, turning so we could shake hands on it.
“Okay, then, what are we gonna watch? Or, shall I say, what movie are you going to lose the bet to?”
He sat in thinking silence. Then his face lit up, “Evil Dead. It’s this movie that I saw when I was browsing.”
“Okay then, let’s do it!” I said as I got up. He was barely on his knees when I yelled, “Race you to the living room!” I hopped off the trampoline and started running.
I almost ran into the sliding glass door, but just barely missed it. I slipped through the tiny crack that was barely big enough for me to fit through. He came running after me. He was faster than I thought he was going to be. I should’ve known. He’s a freaking football player.
Right when I was about to reach the living room, he grabbed me by the waist and twirled me around like two feet off the ground. When he finally set me down on my feet, I was so dizzy, I didn’t know up from down.
When I finally wasn’t dizzy anymore, I walked into the living room to see Isaac just relaxing on the couch.
“You totally cheated!” I accused, grinning to show I was kidding.
He smiled back, “Do you have any proof to his accusation?” He asked, lifting his shoulders in a shrug.
“Psh! Psh... No. But I don’t need proof.” I said as I walked over and threw myself on the other side of the couch.
“You should scoot a little closer. You know, just in case you get scared.” He teased, patting the seat next to him.
I shot him a dirty look, “You should go get your wallet. You know, for when you lose the bet.” I teased with a half-smile.
He looked down with a laugh. He reached over to the coffee table and picked up a remote, “I honestly don’t know what to say to that. That was a good comeback.”
I grinned widely at the compliment, “I have skill. Never forget that.” I gave him a pat on the shoulder then laid back when the movie started playing.
By the end of the movie, Isaac got scared and nearly jumped into my lap five times. I, on the other hand, got scared only twice. Yay me!
I held out my hand, “I told you to get your wallet out before the movie started.” I told him.
He didn’t make a move, “Hmm… how ‘bout I just buy you lunch instead?” He offered, lifting his eyebrows.
“Are you asking me out on a date Isaac?” I asked, slowly looking over at him.
“What if I am?” He countered.
“Well, in that case, I would say yes. I’ll take the date instead.”
“What if I’m not/”
“I’d tell you to give me the money.” I giggled, inching my way towards him.
“Okay, well, lucky for both of us, I’m asking you on a date.” He said, slightly blushing.
I smiled and looked at the window, “The sun’s about to set. Can you see it on your trampoline?”
He glanced to where I was staring out the window, “Uh, yeah. I think so.”
That’s all I needed to hear to take his hand in mine. I led him back outside to go lay on his trampoline to watch the sunset.
When we jumped on, we just sat in the mock silence and just watched as the sun hit the horizon.
“When I was little, before I was dropped off at Laura’s orphanage, I would sit out in my neighbor’s backyard and just watch the sunset. I had an amazing view from there,” I sighed, “Every time I watched the sun go down, I would think of my parents. How I was so sure they would come back to get me. That all of this was just a huge nightmare I couldn’t wake up from. Then, when I came to the orphanage, I realized this wasn’t a nightmare. Then I had to grow up.” I told him, never tearing my eyes away from the sunset.
He was so quiet; I had to look at him to make sure he was still there.
He just sat there and stared at me, “This is the first time I’ve ever told anyone anything close to what happened to my parents.” I explained.
“I’m really sorry for what you’ve gone through. I’m glad you chose me to tell. But why?” He asked.
I didn’t exactly know the answer to that question, “I think it’s because I feel like I’ve know you forever. And that I feel like I can trust you with my deepest, darkest secrets.”
He looked up just as the sun went over the horizon and disappeared until it’s next rising.
“I better get you home,” He whispered.
I hopped off the trampoline and slipped on my flats. I started heading for the sliding glass door when Isaac grabbed my elbow, “Not that way.” He said with a sly grin.
I returned the grin, “Then what way?”
“You do know how to climb fences right?”
Ha! “Yeah, I do.”
“Well, we’re gonna take the shorter way, if that’s okay with you.”
“Oh, it’s fine. Perfectly fine.”
“Okay. I’ll go first so I can catch you if you slip.” He said with a sly wink.
“Right… okay. You can go first.”
He chuckled then climbed over the fence and jumped off the top and barely hit the ground with a light thud.
I climbed over easily, didn’t even need him to catch me. I landed lightly on my feet. I turned and smiled up at him. He just rolled his eyes and took my hand, slowly leading me through the open gate to the front yard and to the sidewalk.
“Why not just cut through the grass? Wouldn’t that be a whole lot more simple?” I asked, smiling while I swung our hands back and forth like a jump rope.
“Because I’d rather keep it a secret that I can jump my fence to get to your backyard.” He explained with a boyish grin.
We got to the front porch, “Well, this is me.” I told him, letting go of his hand so I can face him.
“Goodnight, Haley.” He whispered as he slowly leaned in for a kiss. I closed my eyes and waited patiently. I could feel his breath against my skin.
Just when his lips brushed mine, I heard the door creak open. I opened my eyes just in time to see Isaac dash into the bushes. I quickly turned around to face James in the doorway with an awkward smile on his face.
“You got here jus on time. Have you had dinner yet?” He asked nonchalantly.
“Um, no. Not yet. I’m gonna stay out here If you don’t mind. I’ll be inside in a few.” I told him.
“Okay. You better hurry though, before your tuna pasta gets cold.” He warned, shutting the door lightly.
When I turned around and looked in the bushes for Isaac, he was gone. Just my luck.
I groaned and went back inside.
“Hello, dear family.” I said with a grin. I feel like I’m walking on water.
They all looked at me strangely, including Mason and Nevaeh, “Are you okay? Did something happen with Isaac?” Raquelle asked.
I smiled graciously, “Everything happened. He asked me out on an actual date.” I squealed.
Raquelle’s jaw dropped. After she finally recovered enough to speak, she ran to me and gave me a gigantic bear hug, “Raquelle. Can’t… breathe…”
“Oh! I’m sorry sweetie. Just got a little over-excited for you.” She explained.
I laughed, “It’s okay. Can we sit down and eat now? I’m starving!”
So we sat down and ate our tuna pasta while I told them everything about today. Well… almost everything.
I yawned, “Well, I’m gonna go the bed. ‘Night everyone!” I said as I lazily made my way up the stairs.
I opened my door and yawned again before turning around to close it.
“We need to talk, Haley.” I heard a very familiar voice say from behind me.
I ran my hand blindly against the wall until I flicked on the light switch and the room filled with light.
I slowly turned around the face the voice I’ve heard throughout my entire life.
“How did you get in here Tami?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. haven't had a lot of time to write lately. tell me what you think. :]