Wild Things.

A Sweetly Sung Lullaby.

Enza smiled as she bid her students goodbye for Thanksgiving break. A whole two and a half weeks from school. She thought a moment for when their flight would be leaving, the day before Thanksgiving. A horrible idea on her part but she just shrugged, it didn’t really matter as she looked down at her desk calendar.

“Cadenza?” Enza blinked looking up from her calendar to see Renesmee smiling at her.

“Sí bambina?” Enza asked as Renesmee chuckled.

“You told my dad that you would be taking me home today.” Renesmee stated as Enza looked down at the calendar where is clearly said that she’d be taking Renesmee home.

“Oh, mi dispiace, let’s go.” Enza stated as Renesmee laughed while shaking her head. The ride to Carlisle’s home was mostly spent singing along to songs that were playing on the radio and the last ten minutes were songs that were in Italian and Renesmee just watched and listened as Enza sang. Pulling into the driveway Enza shut the car off and Renesmee was just staring at her.

“You have a very beautiful voice! Like a real singer!” Renesmee smiled as did Enza.

“Thank you Bambina, I actually used to sing at a club back in Vegas.” Enza stated as they began walking towards the house.

“Can you sing a song for me?” Renesmee asked stopping at the top of the stairs as Enza looked down at her.

“Um, sure, I will sing you a lullaby that my Zia Sophia used to sing to me.” Enza stated watching her breath momentarily as Renesmee jumped up on the banister and sat down looking at Enza who leaned against the wall taking a deep breath while closing her eyes picturing her Zia. “Stella, stellina, la notte si avvicina. La fiamma traballa. La mucca nella stalla. La mucca e il vitello, la pecora e l'agnello. La chioccia con il pulcino, ognuno ha il suo bambino. Ognuno ha la sua mamma, e tutti fanno la nanna.”

Renesmee just looked at her with a smile as Enza opened her eyes to see the front door opened and the Cullens just looking at her. A light tint of pink embraced her cheeks as they clapped for her.

“That was beautiful, I remember you mentioning that you sing but just wow.” Bella stated as the others nodded in agreement.

"You sing so sweetly." Rosalie commented.

"A stunning voice." Jasper added.

“The two of you should come in before you freeze out here.” Esme stated ushering them in as Esme looked at Enza. “Would you care to stay for some hot chocolate before heading home?” Esme asked as Enza nodded.

“I would love too, Jack won’t be home until later, she works today.” Enza mentioned following Esme into the kitchen and sitting down at the table as Esme began preparing the cocoa.

“You have such a lovely voice Cadenza, what was that song called?” Esme asked with her back to Enza as she stirred the milk that was heating up slowly on the stove.

“Stella, stellina. It means Star, little star. My Zia used to sing it to me before going to bed.”

“Do you sing professionally?” Esme asked turning to look at Enza as she poured the milk into two cups.

“I used to, in Damian’s casino-club.” Enza mumbled accepting the mug from Esme.

“The newborn that attacked you, you knew him previously that is why he attacked you?” Enza looked at Esme surprised she didn’t know that Damian was her ex.

“Carlisle didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what dear?” Esme asked as Renesmee came in a grabbed her mug and left hurriedly.

“Damian was my previous lover.” Enza noted as Esme looked taken aback a moment.

“Why did he attack you so viciously then?” Esme asked before waving her hands in front of her. “That is none of my business, I am sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.” Enza chuckled before shaking her head.

“No, it’s fine. We dated for a few years on and off, I was in love with him even though a part of me knew that I shouldn’t be. But he was charming, and kind to me. I guess I just grew to love his flaws too, because, well we’re human.” Enza shrugged looking into her hot chocolate looking at the melting marshmallows. “I broke it off with him when my Zia Sophia passed and moved here. It wasn’t a happy break up, I guess when Vivian turned him he wanted revenge or something and came here only to become more enraged when catching Carlisle’s scent on me.”

“Love is a funny thing.” Esme stated as Enza nodded. “I was married before I met Carlisle.” Esme whispered as Enza had almost not caught what she’d said. “I attempted suicide because I lost my baby, miscarried.” Esme continued whispering as Enza just listened to her intently. “Carlisle brought be back to life, he offered me a second chance…I’ve seen the way the two of you look at each other.” Enza gave the slightest smile looking back into her now lukewarm drink.

“Una mirada no dice nada, y al mismo tiempo lo dice todo.” Enza whispered as Esme just looked at her not really understanding the phrase. “It’s Spanish, from a song I heard once. It means, a glance does not say anything, and at the same time it says everything.” Enza looked at Esme the slightest smile still in place. “It’s a beautifully sung ballad,” Enza had this reflective look about her as she continued. “I like you, I really do, in the beginning I wanted to not like you because of your history with Carlisle but in my heart I can feel that you are a gentle, thoughtful person.”

Esme reached out and touched her hand bringing her attention directly to Esme. It was a silent moment of understanding, it was a shared moment of appreciation towards the other. A lighthearted smile stayed on Esme’s features as Enza began to talk once more.

“I am in love with him, but if I admit that to him I am scared as to what that will mean.” Esme took Enza’s hand within hers and gave it a light squeeze.

“Cadenza, you are one of the toughest humans I know, just look what you have endured so far being introduced into our world. Tell Carlisle that you love him is nothing compared to what you’ve undergone. It is just one small step—”

“That one step is the hardest of them all.” Enza interrupted as Esme gave a small chuckle.

“Dear you are a strong young woman.” Esme stated as Enza squeezed her hand in response with a smile.

~*~

“Papa, how is Brisnonno Francis holding up?” Enza asked over the phone as she talked to her father while sitting on the couch petting a sleeping Bagheera on her lap.

“Not so well, it seems that he is only getting weaker.” He stated as Enza sighed heavily. “He is not eating and only sleeping all the time, Alessandro and Larea have been planning the funeral. At this point he could go any day.” Marcello’s tone was grim.

“He’s lived a full life papa. He had great-great-great grandchildren, which is more than some witness.” Enza brought it to a lighter note.

“You are right mia figlia, he has lived a full and healthy life.” Marcello agreed his tone less grim.

“This ringraziamento we will be thankful for having Brisnonno Francis in our lives.” Enza smiled as she knew as her papa gave a small chuckle he was nodding. “I have to check on dinner papa, give everyone abbracci e baci per me.” Enza told him before he agreed and they bid their goodbyes until they would see each other in a few days.

As Enza walked into the kitchen she took out the baked ziti from the oven just as Balto started barking at whom ever walked into the house. Dishing out a rather large scoop on one plate and two smaller portions for her and Jack. Just as she was placing the forks in the ziti Jack and Paul walked in.

“Well this is different,” Enza stated as she looked at the two as Jack looked at her with a raised brow and the expression, ‘what?’ on her features. “I was expecting Embry, not Paul.” Enza shrugged as she grabbed their plates and set them on the table as they sat down.

“Hoover was on patrol when I finished with work so Paul was there because he doesn’t patrol today.” Jack explained as he gave her a smile after eyeing the food on his plate.

“This looks and smells delicious Enza.” He commented as Enza thanked him before grabbing her plate and walking past them into the living room with Balto hot in her heels.

“Whoa, wait a minute, what are you doing?” Jack asked as Enza stopped at the doorway entrance of the living room.

“Jacqueline, I am going to finish my show while I enjoy my dinner with Balto and Bagheera.” Enza stated as Jack rolled her eyes.

“You eat at the table any other time!”

“Tonight is not a traditional night, I don’t have to get up early to go teach or anything, so I will do as I please!” Enza stated sticking out her tongue childishly as she continued into the living room as Jack looked at Paul after rolling her eyes.

“You see what I deal with?” She asked him as he just continued eating.

“I heard that!” Enza called to her.

“You were supposed too!” Jack hollered back with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Probably the shortest chapter I've written for this story, but some important things happened! No Carlisle, lo siento mucho! :)

Comment & Subscribe

Image