‹ Prequel: The Pauper Princess
Status: Currently undergoing renovations.

The Game

Eleven

"I’ve arranged for Mehta to accompany you.” I glance over at Kahlin, trying to look uninterested.

“Oh, come on in. Don’t mind the guard; he’s just there for decoration.” Kahlin gets my meaning and excuses the guard. As soon as the door is shut behind the man, I’m on my feet and crossing the room to stand in front of Kahlin.

“What’s this, some kind of pity gift for getting me sent away?” I accuse immediately. “I bet you even planted that idea in his head. It’s a little too familiar to be coincidence, don’t you think? Even with all the awful things you’ve done, I thought I could at least trust you not to betray me, brother.” That got a reaction. His head snaps up, and I can see his eyes are bright and his jaw tight.

“I never betrayed you.”

“And I’m just supposed to believe that?”

“Don’t,” he says as he grabs my shoulders and backs me into the wall. “Please, Siya.” His grip loosens and I push him away from me.

“Please what?”

“I don’t want to fight with you, Siya.”

“How noble of you, calling a truce now that you’ll never see me again.” My words sting him, I can see that, but I can’t help but be glad. “I used to look up to you,” I spit. “But now I see. You’ll do anything to stay on his good side.” I turn back to my bed, intent on ignoring him until he goes away.

“I’m not the traitor!” I step back, shocked at his fury. I’ve heard him yell before, but not like this and not at me.

“I don’t-“

“It’s Sheta, he’s the one who betrayed you- betrayed us.” I hear him slide down the wall beside my door. Crossing my arms, I turn to stare down at him.

“I’m supposed to believe that your best friend is the one to blame? If you’re going to lie at least make it believable. Why would Sheta betray you?”

“He was promised a promotion if he could bring proof of my training you to fight.” Kahlin props his elbows on his knees and runs a hand through his already disheveled hair. “He saw me leave with Mehta that night and thought we were leaving to run drills. Then he arranged for the seamstress to see if there were any signs of fighting.”

“How do you know that’s what happened?”

“I think you know the answer to that.” Kahlin glances up at me and sighs. “Father was boasting about it before you were brought back. He wanted me to know that I couldn’t get away with anything. And the betrothal, he threw that in my face as well.” He wipes a hand over his face and lets his head bang back against the wall. His words hang in the air as my rage slowly evaporates.

“How do I even know you’re telling the truth?” Kahlin nods slowly, as if he expected me to ask this. After all this time, I couldn’t trust him and he knew it.

“I guess you don’t.” I thought about it for a minute while he just sat there.

“You’ve betrayed my trust, but you’ve never lied to me,” I realize as the words leave my mouth. He pats the floor beside him, and after a moment’s hesitation I sit down, keeping a bit of distance between us.

“I can’t just forgive you.”

“I know.” Silence fills the room for several minutes.

“Why are you here then?” He reaches over and takes my hand in his. He runs his thumb over my knuckles, tracing the scabs I have from hitting him.

“I didn’t want to leave it like that,” he says finally. Again it’s quiet. I look up at the ceiling, trying desperately not to cry.