You're My Favorite Song

008

Hearts were racing, sweat was dripping, hormones were growing and the lights weren’t even dim yet. The house of blues was packed, barely enough room to even breathe. If you drove by you’d probably assume some big band was headlining, and not just a small town band.

The boys were headlining again tonight so there were two or three bands ahead of them. As of right now they were backstage getting ready while I worked the merch table. Valerie, Melody, and Samantha were helping me but after a while I told them to go back with the guys. They did so, leaving just me with the merchandise and the fans. In four weeks I had gone from loner to one step closer to my dream. Merch girl was the first step at building my way up the ladder, I was beyond excited.

My mom and Ryan walked up to the table when the second band took the stage. My dad was at a VIP table with some of the guys from the record label, but since Ryan loved concerts she forced my mom to come onto the floor not that she minded or anything.

“Seeing you behind that table brings back memories,” My mom said loud enough for me to hear. I smiled, something that was becoming a part of me.

“I bet momma, I don’t know how you ever gave this up,” I admitted. This was her dream and she gave it all up to raise me. Seeing me do what she dreamed of has to make her think what would have happened if things were different.

“Its your turn to live the rockstar life. We’ll be over there waiting for them to come on. Have fun Lyric.”

My mom may have picked my middle name but she rarely uses it. The fact she just used it right now made me want to cry, she was connecting everything to my dad. She saw more in him in me right now than ever before. Thankfully someone came to buy something or I would have ended up a sobbing mess, definitely not good for business.

I was trying to explain to someone, for the tenth time, the prices of what I was selling when I felt arms slither around my waist. I jumped, first thinking someone was trying to kidnap me. I relaxed in a second when I smelt the familiar scent that I had come to love...Jake. I could have killed him in that instance, the look on the girls face I was helping made it seem like she was going to kill me.

“Hey gorgeous,” He whispered in my ear. I untangled my self from him quickly and handed the girl her change. I turned to Jake, evidently with a red face by the way he smirked. “Are you crazy?” I asked playfully slapping him.

“Sorry I wasn’t aware I couldn’t hug my girlfriend,” He said nonchalantly. My jaw must have dropped in that moment, no it did drop in that moment. I think my stomach gave birth to about four hundred butterflies at the same time that all the blood went to my face. “Are you serious?”

He nodded his head and gave me the most adorable smile. I think I jumped into his arms, possibly squealed. I’m almost positive I kissed him, but everything was a blur. I tried not to squeal but I had no idea if I had succeeded or not. The second band was on stage so almost everyone was fixed on them, except for the rest of The Monster Inside, their girlfriends, and my mother and Ryan. I’m pretty sure they had just caught everything on camera and were still recording.

After the little outburst the boys headed backstage and I stayed put at the merch table, much to Jake’s disliking. He begged me to watch from side stage but I refused. I had a job to, plus I liked watching from the crowd anyway. My merch table was facing the stage so when the boys took the stage I sat on it, Ryan joined me shortly after while my mom went to sit with our dad.

“What’s up Los Angeles?!” Cameron screamed into the microphone and the screams were shot right back at them. “Good to hear you all, but you gotta do me a favor. BE LOUDER!” They started playing their second song and I could see the girls in the wings dancing like crazy people. Ryan was next to me clapping and jumping up and down, my little twin.

All of them were definitely on their game tonight. I couldn’t help but glance up at the balcony to see the representatives of the labels faces, they seemed to like it. By the third song I was entranced in the music just like I had been four weeks ago when I saw them play for the first time.

The crowd kept getting louder and louder, and the boys smiles kept getting bigger and bigger. For the first time I understood what it meant to be proud of something. Sure I had only known this band for a short amount of time, but seeing them up there doing what they’ve always wanted was beyond describable.

“So I have a question for you guys,” Mike announced making everyone scream again. “How many of you guys have seen The Monster Inside before?” More screams.

“Did you guys hear that?” Travis yelled. “They’ve seen us before, that must mean their officially apart of The Monster Inside family!” That sent everyone in to explosive cheers, including my sister.

“Here’s the deal if this is your first time,” Jake said. I chuckled at his immaturity level. “After are set we want to meet you, well all of you, but especially those who are new. Deal?” Everyone cheered.

They played two more faster songs before slowing things down. Cameron took a seat center stage with the mic. Jake followed, his acoustic guitar in hand ready to play. His piercing green eyes found me immediately as he began to play. Cameron sang the sweet words and looked around the crowd but ultimately had his eye on Valerie who was still to the left of him behind the curtain.

After a couple more songs their set ended and everyone began moving out into the parking lot to wait to talk to the boys. My mom helped me pack up whatever merchandise we had left, Ryan was up on the balcony finally sitting down to eat.

“Well, Hazel Lyric, I think its official,” My mom said smiling.

“What is mom?” I asked folding up the last three shirts I had left.

“There is no denying that music is your job now, and that you have a wonderful boy who is going to be with you on the ride,” She hugged me tightly.

“Just like you and dad,” I said sweetly causing her to smile again.

My parents took Ryan and home, while I stayed with everyone for a while longer. Seeing as my dad wasn’t in charge of hiring bands for the label he didn’t know what was going to happen. I walked backstage and found all three girls with their ears pressed up against the dressing room door.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

Valerie turned away from the door smiling at me, “One of the label reps is in there with them.”

“Tall, bald, looks like he was a 70s rockstar?” I asked curious if it was the manager of where my dad worked.

“Yes!” Melody and Samantha squealed.

Holy shit. They were talking to the exact label my dad was a studio tech for. They were talking to the exact label my dad tour managed when he wasn’t busy with someone huge. The Monster Inside was going to get signed to a label that defined my entire family.

The door opened and out came two label reps as well as Robert, the manager. The four of us scurried in the room to find the four boys with looks of pure happiness. They didn’t have to say anything, we knew. We all congratulated them and kissed them, surprisingly even Mike and Samantha kissed. I guess there ‘secret’ wasn’t a secret anymore.

The boys weren’t allowed to tell anyone but family, which means neither were we. After we all calmed down a little the boys went outside to meet some of their fans who had stuck around. They took pictures and talked to them, it definitely made those fans nights.

The eight of us went out for food after the boys finished, it was around 1 o’clock. We were living the rock star life After that Jake drove us back to his place, where I was staying the night. I called my mom as soon as we got to the apartment letting her know I was home, she told me I needed to call my dad so I did.

“Hey daddy. Where are you tonight?” I asked.

“Arizona. Getting closer to my little rockstar.” I practically screamed, no one understood how much I missed my dad and knowing he was a few states away made me miss him even more. “Mom tells me you did a pretty good job tonight being a merch girl.” I laughed. “Like mother like daughter. I also here my little rockstar got herself a little rockstar boyfriend.”

“Dad!” I whined, feeling the blush creep onto my cheeks. Jake chuckled beside me evidently figuring I was talking about him.

“Its nothing to me embarrassed about, I am jealous though. This rockstar is going to take my place as number one rockstar in your life.”

I chuckled at my dad’s corniness. “That won’t ever happen. I love you,” I reassured him.

“Love you too Hazel. I’ll talk to you later. Goodnight rockstar.”

I hung up the phone and went into the bathroom to change into the pajamas I had brought with me. I walked back into the bedroom and collapsed on Jake’s bed. He chuckled and pulled me in closer to him, seeing as if he didn’t I would have fallen off the bed.

“So...how does it feel to be officially signed?” I asked. Jake’s smile was electrifying. “I’ll let you know when it all sinks in,” He said and kissed the top of my head.

We laid there for awhile in silence until he broke it. “So...how does it feel to be a rockstar’s girlfriend?” The butterflies erupted again. Never in a million years did I imagine girlfriend being an adjective to describe me to someone.

“Wait who’s this rockstar? I thought I was dating you?” I teased back. He chuckled and pulled me in closer to me. “Seriously though, I think its amazing.”

“Amazing after only the first three hours, damn I have a lot to live up too.”

That you do Jake, that you do. I never saw my parents love story, only heard it told by friends and family. Only read the headlines about it. From what I knew their relationship was perfect, and this was my chance to give their story a happening ending. Not any time soon of coarse.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my new favorite chapter.