All Hope Is Gone

Can We Talk?

Image


Low hanging tree branches whipped across Anastasia's face biting into the soft flesh over her cheeks as her legs burned with a ferocity she hadn't felt since running track in high school. Propelling herself forward as fast as she could her ears kept open for Daryl as he followed her close behind.
Flashes of what they'd seen pumped through her mind in time with the erratic beating of her heart. Carl had looked so pale and helpless and Rick's screams for help were deafening.

Another child no longer untouched in this world gone to a place worse than hell.

Up ahead Anastasia could see the road barrier. What was she going to tell Lori? How was she going to explain that her only child had taken a bullet? Wiping the thought from her head, she pushed her legs hard and cleared the barrier. Daryl stopping to climb over but soon meeting at the camp left on the road.

“What's happened?” Lori's eyes were wide with terrified concern. “Tell me what happened!”

Blood rushed towards Anastasia's toes and fingers as her body caught up with her sudden jolt of stillness as she stood speechless before Lori. “Carl...he's been shot.”
It was as if she could see the mother's heart stop for a moment, taking another blow and ripping apart just that little bit more.

“What, what do you mean shot? How could he get shot? Where is he? Where's Rick?!” Hysterics gripped Lori and her hands clutched themselves around Anastasia's arms.

“Lori...Carl's been taken ta a house with a Doctor.” Daryl stepped forward as the camp gathered to listen in on where this house was and how to get there.

“What about Sophia? We can't just leave her all alone...what if she comes back?” Carol stepped forward.

“We can leave her food and a sign. There are plenty of cars she can hide in...” It was Dale who spoke up to the fretting woman's question, hoping that the offer would be enough.

“You can all sort that out later, I need to go to Carl and Rick right now!” Lori turned to Carol. “I'm sorry but my family needs me.”

“You go...I'll stay here and wait for my daughter.”

“No, Carol go with Lori. I'll wait here for her and keep looking. If she comes back there needs to be someone here able enough to kill a few walkers just in case.” Anastasia's arms crossed over her stomach. She felt Daryl join her at her side.

“I'll wait with yer'.” He offered not wanting to stop the search for Sophia and at the same time not wanting to leave Anastasia to fend for herself.

“No.” She shook her head. “No you have to go with them. If there are any Walkers on the travel you're the best person to keep them all safe and sound.” Anastasia turned to face Daryl, placing a hand over his arm and to her surprise he didn't flinch this time. “Just two days and I'll join the rest of you, okay?”

He took a few moments to think but finally nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Good. Come on let's get this show on the road.” Anastasia walked towards the RV but looked back over her shoulder at Lori and Carol. Her heart ached for them and the crisis they were experiencing.

* * *


Two days had passed and despite her efforts there was still no sign of Sophia and as the third days morning drew into sunrise Anastasia found herself trekking back up to the road barrier after spending the later part of the night of on one final search before moving on.
She looked over at the two door car Dale had loaded with food and a sign before turning her heel in the direction of the house that Otis had given them directions to.
As she walked Anastasia found herself enjoying the silence of the early morning and the entire cloud of silence that had been surrounding her for the past two days. No walkers growling down her neck. No people fighting over leadership. And certainly no Merle Dixon.

Had they really taken him along too?

She shook her head. Whoever owned that house wouldn't be too impressed the moment the older Dixon brother opened his fat trap. A lopsided smirk tugged at the corners of her lips as she thought about her boots digging hard into Merle's gut and the fact Daryl had to physically tear her away from the fight. But that smirk soon died down back into a thin line of thought. Upon their last meeting Daryl hadn't shied away from her touch, the thought put a slight skip in her step. The past few days Anastasia had oddly enough found herself missing his presence and was looking forward to seeing Daryl again when reaching the house.
The only other thing she was looking forward to the most was washed clothes and some real sleep, at least a few more hours than she'd allowed herself out there.

Looking up Anastasia's eyes spotted a fork in the road and turned left just like Otis said. Soon she was coming across less black tar road and more long honey coloured grass stalks. They brushed against her skin, itching and tickling as she went. Allowing herself a few moments to enjoy the simple sensation before forcing herself back to reality and keeping vigilant.

The sun was creeping into late morning when she reached a house that looked like the one Otis had described to them. It had the same coloured walls and tall roof he'd said it would and as she looked towards a looming tree Anastasia recognised the RV parked underneath it's great thick trunk. A smile broke over her face as her boots stomped over the luscious green grass.

“Well doesn't it feel good to be home.”

“Anastasia!” Dale said with a smile as he got up from his chair with arms out ready for a hug which she gave into. “Did you have any trouble out there?”

“No, just two walkers on the first day. But otherwise it was really hush out there.” She shook her head and broke the embrace. “Where is everyone else?” Looking around she noticed that Dale was the only one out.

“Well Glenn has gone in for supplies. Rick and Lori are inside with Carl. I think Shane has taken Andrea out for gun practice. Carol is asleep in the RV and Daryl is on the hunt for some grub. Still no sign of Sophia?”

“No.” Her heart dropped, oh how she wanted to come back with the little girl close in tow. “I looked every single day and came up empty. How's Carl?”

Dale placed his hand atop his hat and an audible huff escaped his nostrils. “Well it was hit and miss for a while there. Shane and Otis had gone into bring back medical supplies...that's the only thing that saved the boy.” His old eyes turned their gaze towards the grass beneath their feet and an odd silence fell around him.

“What's wrong, Dale?”

“Ah..” For a moment he was hesitant to reply “Otis didn't make it. Shane claims that he fell behind and told him to take the supplies and not look back...”

Anastasia watched the old man's face wrinkle as a thought passed through his mind. “And what do you think?”

“What do I think? I think there is something more to his story.”

“Well hey there. When did ya get back?” Daryl's voice came up behind Anastasia as Dale's reply stuck in her mind.

“Just now.” She turned to see Daryl with a fresh row of squirrels slung over his shoulder.

He noticed her eyes land on the kill. “Hungry?”

“Starving.” She replied

“Help me skin these an' we can get a feed inta ya.” Daryl placed a hand on the small of Anastasia's back and marched her forward. If he was honest with himself, having her around was something he'd missed over the past couple of days. Something had fluttered inside of him when Daryl had seen she'd come back unharmed and safe. “No Sophia?”

“Not a single sign of her. Daryl it's like she was never there. I wasn't able to find anything out there.” Anastasia followed him towards two tree stumps with a bucket in between them and sat opposite Daryl.

“Don' be so hard on yerself. There's a lotta land out there an' one person ain't gonna cover it all.” He tossed her half the kills and glanced over as Anastasia drew her knife and set to work skinning and gutting the food. It was nice to sit with someone while doing this, who knew what they were doing.

“Hm.” She grunted. “How's it been around here?”

“Alrigh' I guess. Everyone is still jus' focusin' on Carl. But I think some are getting' used ta it 'ere. No Walkers or anythin' like that so far. People are getting' used ta that.”

“And you?”

Daryl looked up as he dumped another handful of guts into the bucket. “I dunno. A break is nice an' all. But long term? No my kinda people.”

“Well I am looking forward to some quiet and maybe a bit more sleep. I barely got a wink down out there.” She dropped the last of the skins in the bucket and tucked the meat into a bag Daryl had at his side. “But most of all I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.” She let her eyes linger on Daryl for a moment longer before looking away into the distance. “Is Merle still around?”

“Yea he sure is and getting' on every bodies nerves.” Daryl thumbed the side of his beard while looking her up and down. “Glad ya got back 'ere safe.”

Anastasia smiled at Daryl. “Glad you got here safely. Hey, I'm gonna go get cleaned up and find a change of clothes.”

“You can shower in the house. We're welcome ta it.” He jerked his head in the direction of the house behind them.

“I'll check in on Lori and Rick too.” She left Daryl with a tired wave and began walking towards the RV for a change of clothes and towel before heading up to the house.

A cool wind picked up as Daryl watched her go towards the house. He sat back with eyes squinted thinking of the little warm knot sitting in his chest when Anastasia had said she was glad he was safe too.

“She's a strong young lady.” Dale spoke up as he walked up behind Daryl.

“Yea she is.” He agreed.

“Do you like her?” The old man sat on the stump opposite Daryl with a quaint smile over his face.

“She's alrigh'. Helps keep the camp safe.” Daryl replied eyeing Dale down.

“I meant do you like her?”

He raised a brow. “I know what yer meant old timer.”

“So do you?” Dale splayed his hands out in front of him as he asked.

“Why does it matter so much ta ya?!” Becoming frustrated with the questions Daryl grabbed the sack of squirrels and stood. “It ain't noneya business.”

“Hey, I was only asking a question. I noticed you getting more irritated than usual the past couple of days and I would like to think that was attributed to Anastasia being somewhere you couldn't see her or protect her. Now I bet that now she is back you'll go back to your usual self and drop the extra attitude.”

Daryl let out a grunt, the old man was right. “You jus' keep that theory ta yaself.”

With a broad smile and knowing nod Dale let the question go and watched Daryl head towards the RV and start a fire to cook over.

Inside the house Anastasia went in search of Lori and Rick. As she walked through the house Anastasia noticed the smell. Despite everything out side having gone to shit, this house still smelt like every home used to. It smelt like family, of people who cared about each other and not because of the Walkers, but because it's just what you did.

“Anastasia!” She heard her name from behind her.

“Lori.” Immediately Anastasia was enveloped in a hug by the slender brown haired woman. “How's Carl?”

Lori pulled back. “He's going to make it. But he is still really weak.”

“Good, I was so worried about him.” She breathed a sigh of relief. “How are you and Rick?”

“Tired...exhausted...” The look on Lori's face resembled her words. “I didn't think he was going to make it.”

“You can rest easy now.”

“Yeah. When did you get back? Any sign of Sophia?”

Anastasia shook her head and rehashed what she'd already told Dale and Daryl. “I might ask Daryl if he wants to go back out tomorrow with me though. I don't feel good not being out there.”

“Tomorrow? No let Daryl go out there. You stay here and just rest. Looks like you need a good scrub and sleep.” Lori's hands squeezed the sides of Anastasia's arms.

“Yeah well I can't deny that.”

“Good. Showers down the hall and I'll get a bed ready in here for you.”

“Lori if it's okay, I'd like to just sleep in a tent outside. The cool breeze is nice and I haven't seen such a peaceful looking area since...well you know?” She shrugged.

“Sure, that's fine. I'll get Dale to set you up a tent.”

“Thanks Lori.” Bidding her farewell Anastasia moved past Lori and down the hall into the shower.

The door clicked as it closed behind her and a sigh left her lungs as she flipped the lock on the door. Looking around she noticed the medicine cabinet and shower caddy stuffed with bottles of shampoo, conditioner and soaps. Flipping open the cabinet a light whoop went through her chest as she spotted packs of razors and quickly grabbed one out.

It had been ages since she was able to treat herself like this.

Quickly Anastasia filled the basin and set to work on her legs, figuring to save water and not shave in the shower. A delightful little noise uttered from her lips at the silky smooth skin left behind as she washed the razor and continued on to under hear arms. Anastasia had always had thin brows and as she looked up into the mirror she was glad of that as she wouldn't have been all that skilled with the razor if they weren't!

The cascade of water down her back sent a shudder through her spine and another sigh from her lips. The feeling was just as delicious as the smell of the shampoo and conditioner that she worked through her long locks of hair and soap she used to scrub her skin clean and pink.

“Tent's ready, Anastasia.” She heard Lori knock on the door just as she turned the taps and stepped out from the shower.

“Be out in a sec.” Her voice called back while she made quick work with the towel and threw on the clean dark jeans and tank top over her bra and panties.

“Feeling better?” Lori asked with her back leaning against the wall outside the bathroom door.

“Sure do.”

“Daryl said he's got some food cooking for you.” Lori's brow was raised as she mentioned the Redneck's name. “You know he was worried about you being out there all by yourself.”

As they walked down the hallway Anastasia looked over at Lori. “Well I was worried about him too. All of ya'll.”

“I mean he was freaking out. You'd see him pacing up and down the camp wanting to go back out there for you. Muttering on how he shouldn't have left ya there by yourself.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, really. It got damn annoying 'specially when we were trying to eat.” She laughed as they came to the front door. The smell of cooked meat wafting their way over the air. “I think he likes you.”

Anastasia's gaze drifted towards the camp fire where Daryl was sitting and poking at the embers. “Daryl is pretty okay.”

“Pretty okay? Are you telling me you fancy yourself some Daryl Dixon?” Lori smirked at the thought.

“I never said that.” She ran a hand through her damp hair letting it rest on her shoulders. “I think he is...I guess Daryl is...” Stumped on what to say she turned her gaze back to Lori and rolled her eyes. “Alright so what if I fancy him?”

Lori's eyes widened. “I knew it. You should make a move.”

“What? No. Have you totally lost it?”

“Oh.” Lori watched as Daryl stood and looked over. “I think lover boy is done cooking you dinner.”

“You just shut up.” Anastasia playfully slapped Lori in over the shoulder. “Don't go saying that. Okay?”

“Alright. I gotta get back in for Carl and Rick.” She turned and disappeared into the house but not before winking in Daryl's direction.

“Shit.” Anastasia laughed to herself as she tucked a thumb in her back pocket and walked down to meet Daryl by the fire.

“Did Lori wink at me?” He asked handing her a plate messed with hot food.

“Yeah, don't pay no mind to her. Just tryin' to lighten her spirits with a bit of humour. Thanks.” Anastasia took a spot next to the fire and began digging around the plate with a picnic fork.

The sounds of a small car coming in to park by the RV had Anastasia turn to see Shane and Andrea exiting the vehicle. Shane with a gun slung over his shoulder and Andrea with one in her hand.

“Hey Anastasia.” Shane nodded his now shaved down head towards her.

“Hey Shane. Andrea.” She replied before turning back to her meal, but catching Daryl staring after Shane.

“I guess by that look you might be thinking what Dale is thinking?” She asked swallowing down a hunk of meat.

“And wha’s that?”

“That Otis didn’t just trip up and get taken down by Walkers.”

Daryl looked back over to Anastasia with pent up thought shadowing his eyes. “I think there maybe two sides ta a story we ain’t gonna get ta hear.”

“Fair enough.” She put the now empty plate down. A soft yawn left her lips as her back arched and arms stretched in the most feline of ways.
Daryl let himself watch as Anastasia’s tank top rose over the top of her jeans letting just a peak of the flesh beneath poke on through.

“See ya sleepin’ out ‘ere.” Quickly he changed the subject as his mouth began to water and his mind wonder into unchartered territory with Anastasia as the main attraction.

“Sure am. I enjoy my space where I can get it out here.” She nodded looking over to her tent near the RV.

“Same.” Daryl simply replied. “Looks like ya could use some shut eye righ’ ‘bout now.”

“I think you’re right about that one, Dixon.” Anastasia made to move and as she did Daryl rose alongside her.

He stroked the side of his beard as a sudden and out of the blue question struck him. “Ever thought of tellin’ everybody else?”

She cocked a brow in his direction and let her weight fall to one hip. “Know what?”

“’Bout why we found ya like we did?” He knew it wasn’t his place to ask and he knew he had no clue as to why he was asking.

She shook her head. “No. You knowing all about it is one person too much already.” Anastasia’s glance slowly turned into a glare. “And I trust you still aren’t gonna tell anyone?”

“Course I ain’t.” Daryl replied as he took a step back. The accusation leaving a sting over his chest. “I said I wouldn’t.”

“Good. Let’s keep it that way.” Turning towards her tent she didn’t glance back at Daryl. For is she did, she would have noticed Lori slowly stepping out of the RV. Her eyes focused on Anastasia as she walked away.

“What is she keeping from us, Daryl?”