Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Music Producer

(Chad's POV)

The mix wasn't making sense. CKY had began to record the newest album and I was having the hardest time finding the perfect mix for the single. It was due for release in another month and sitting at my soundboard, I was at the point of pulling my hair out of my head. With a grumble and a curse, I pushed away from the soundboard and got to my feet. I'd been immersed in my work for nearly five hours and had just come to realize that I had yet to eat that day.

Managing the walk to the kitchen, I pulled open the cabinet doors looking for anything to satisfy my hunger. When nothing caught my eye, I slammed the doors closed in anger.

“What's your problem?”

Spinning around to face my intruder, I felt my body relax as it recognized the woman in front of me. “What are you doing in my house?”

Abbey crossed her arms in front of her chest and frowned at me. “I asked you a question first.”

“And you're in my house.”

Rolling her eyes, Abigail made her way into the kitchen and took a seat at the small table that was pushed up against one wall. Once she was seated, she glanced back up at me with unyielding eyes. “Did you read the copies I dropped off for you?”

I stared at her, unable to believe she would literally walk into my home, take a seat at my kitchen table and act as if she had any right to question me. “Really?”

With a frustrated sigh, my friend's girl looked ready to slap me. “Did you like what I dropped off or not?”

With a groan, I collapsed into the seat across from her. Running a hand through my messy hair, I met her gaze unwillingly. “It was great, Abbey.”

“But?” She prompted, knowing there was more I didn't want to say.

I let out the breath I'd been holding. “I don't have a singer who will use those lyrics.”

Abbey's expression turned angry.

“They're really good. I admit that and if I were any other music producer, I'm sure Kay's songs could sell really well, but Abs- I produce rock n roll. Not pop.” I felt like a total dick saying those words, but they were more than true. Abbey wanted more from me than I could reasonably give. I really liked Kay, but there was nothing I could do for her.

Abigail leaned back in her chair and stared at me over the tabletop. “What if you were to find someone who would sing her songs?”

“If I found someone who would do so, then yeah I'll gladly produce it, but I don't know anyone.” I told her truthfully.

“What if I found someone?” She offered with a small smile.

What was she up to?

“How do you intend to do that?” I asked instead, not wanting her to get pissed at me for the other question floating through my mind.

“Don't worry about that.” She said quickly as she stood up from the table and made her way out of the kitchen. “I'll call you if I find someone.”

Abbey was gone before I could say anything more. I just stared at my hands folded across the table and wondered what I had gotten myself into now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! Due to the holidays fast approaching, Amie and I aren't going to be updating as frequently as we have in the past. We will be posting during the week only and the weekend will be off until after Christmas and New Year's has past. I hope everyone understands that this is a very busy time for me: finals at school and going to visit family who lives a few hours away for the holidays, and for Amie as well: Her son's first Christmas and moving. So please excuse us as we prepare for the next few weeks. I hope you continue reading and enjoy everything you do!