Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Bottle Cap Matches

(Aimee's POV)

The Bayou Cafe.

It's known up and down Pearl Street that we were the most entertaining venue with the best bands and best staff. To me all liquors taste the same no matter were you are. A Jack and coke is going to taste the same regardless if you are in a trendy night club or a hole in the wall pub. What makes the experience different is the people making the drink for you. Made me rather proud to be working in one of the best bars in all of Albany.

Even on a Monday night we were the most entertaining bar on the road. The one patron had been completely entertained by Stephanie, a Criminology major, and myself having our usual 'Monday Night Bottle Cap Match'. Wrestling on the floor outside the bar, we would play old wrestling dvds and the goal was to be the first to steal the other person's bottle caps from their pockets. To explain how this was invented would take too long.

Getting me into an armbar MMA move, Steph the blackbelt, reached for my pocket. “What the hell are you two doing?” Aaron stood over us with his arms crossed. “Is this what goes on every Monday night?”

“Only until Raw comes on.” I managed while Steph held the submission hold. Least I would beat her ass on 'Tuesday Rock Band Challenge'.

Aaron made us get back to normal bartering duties and even made us turn on a normal tv show. “So you going through with the move to PA?”

Our also normal talking sent the only customer away forcing both us girls to give Aaron the I told you so look. “Yeah, I'm looking at a few places online to move into.” Now sitting in front of us, Aaron rested his head on the counter. Maybe if he didn't run our fun time we wouldn't be girl talking. “It's just, I love Albany kinda. Or at least I love the liquor stores being open all the time and pizza delivery til 2 in the morning!”

“I'm sure you will find a drunken college wasteland you will feel at home in.” Placing her hand on her hip, Steph placed her other hand on my arm. “It will all work out.”

Doing the same to her I watched Aaron roll his eyes out of the corner of my eye “I'm sure I will. But how will I replace this fine establishment in Pennsylvania?”

With her free hand to her heart Steph made a dramatic face. “If only Aaron didn't ban our fun none of this would be happening!”

“Bye girls, go back to making fools out of yourselves.” the boss left and we gathered our bottle caps again.

We would have started, but the door had opened to show a six year old with dark brown hair. “Aunt Ames!” she ran over towards the bar and attempted to jump up in the stool. “Can I have juice please?”

Laughing, I grabbed a glass and some cookies for the girl. Course Aaron had found my stash before he broke up our match. Was beginning to loathe that man. “We are out of cookies Mel but-” looking over her mother, I looked to Steph. “Wanna take Mel on a coffee run with you?”

“Course!” Jumping the bar, she walked out with Mel and my bag on her shoulder. “Thanks for the coffee Ames.”

It took a few seconds for me to refocus. “What did he do this time?”

“He's gone to the courts about our living situations. He wants his visitation rights more which means I have to move into commuting distance.” tears rolled down her cheek. Jaimie had lived in commuting distance before one of her past boyfriends started stalking her. She moved to Albany to keep Mel safe and now the courts were forcing her to move back into that area. “I don't want to live there again!”

It hurt seeing my friend in pain. The worst thing was that I would be in Pennsylvania and unable to help her. An idea found a way into my head. “Does it have to be near MetroNorth?”

“They didn't say but-” Jaimie looked confused as I cocked a grin. “I hate when you have that face.”

Pulling out my cell phone I looked up train routes. “Last time I checked a train runs right from Philly to NYC.” smiling I passed her the phone “and is a half hour quicker than to upstate.”

Wiping the tears away, my long time friend looked hopeful for the first time in a good month. “And it's cheaper to live there isn't it.”

“The only thing more expensive than New York is Cali.” shrugging I took my cell back and put it back in my pocket. “And if you move in Philly there will be jobs. And you can expect me there A LOT!”

Jaimie smiled before sitting on a stool. “How long til the rest move down?”

OH! Bet time! “I give Clubby about 48 hours from when she finds out when I move, Kay about a month or two from when I actually move, Kelly might stay, and Amid will be happy we are gone until about a year. Then he'll move closer, but probably only to like New York City.”

With a huge bag from DD in her hands, Mel ran to her mom “Look how many doughnuts Aunt Ames bought me!!!” Throwing a stare to Steph I think she knew our match was back on. Only now I think Jaimie was in on it cause Mel was going to be hyper for days.
♠ ♠ ♠
LOVE the Bayou in Albany ... don't ever think I would get hired there though as this chapter shows ;)