Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Gold and Arrow

(Kay's POV)

“God dammit! This isn't fair, Bam!”

I stood across the island from him because if I was directly in front of the man, I was going to knock him out. Bam, blue eyes wide, stared at me in shock.

“Kay-”

“I need this job! How am I supposed to pay my rent?” Bam began to open his mouth to respond when I held my index finger up in warning. “And don't say you can pay for it. Don't you dare!”

“Fine!” He exclaimed throwing his hands up in defeat. “I won't say it, but you need to process the truth of the situation, Kay. Until we can get Jaimie out of the state-”

“I can't work at the Note? How is this fair? Just because that whore can't stay out of the way of a fist-”

“We're lucky she isn't pressing charges!”

“She's lucky I haven't killed her for sleeping with every guy I've ever had feelings for!”

This went back and forth for at least ten full minutes. The entire time I argued with Bam, Aimee stood to the side of the room leaning against the counter, a full cup of coffee untouched in her hands. She hadn't spoken once, but it was clear to both Bam and I that she was brimming with things to say on the issue. I didn't know how she managed to keep her tongue in check.

“Where am I supposed to work? No one in West Chester will hire me because of you and Heather!”

Bam was about to speak when he paused. Then a smile appeared on his face.

“What?” I asked, not really sure I wanted to know what had popped into his mind. “Or do I not want to know?”

“I have an idea of where you can work for the time being.”

“Please don't say strip club.” I grimaced at what he might have seen in his thoughts. “Just because I took a pole dancing fitness class once-”

Bam waved the comment away as if I hadn't even spoken. “Nah. I've already tried that with Aimee.”

I glanced at my best friend and she shrugged. It was clear the things Bam said didn't bother her at all any longer. My eyes returned to Bam as he continued on.

“Jesse mentioned a few days ago that Kelly was backed up on a bunch of stuff she was doing for her event business. Her cousin is on vacation in Hawaii so it's just Kel.”

“Event business?” This was the first I'd heard about this.

“Gold and Arrow.” Bam said as if he had any idea what he was talking about. “They plan events and shit.”

Sighing, I glared at him. “Events and shit?”

“Whatever girls like to plan. Look- I figured it was a start and it pays so what the hell? Why not right?” Bam pulled his cell phone out of his jean pocket. “Want me to give her a call?”

I chewed my bottom lip as I weighed my options. I was out of a job, again, due to Jaimie and her whores this time, before it had even started and my rent was coming due soon. Groaning, I knew I didn't have a choice at all.

“I'll do it.” I caught Bam's triumphant expression before he wiped his face of emotion. I stared at him.

“It's whatever.” He said with a shrug before wandering off. He knew he had won the argument.

The bastard.

***

Kelly Margera was a sweet and very likable young woman. She was definitely the type of person I expected Jess to be married to. She was girly and yet still had a rocker vibe to her personality that I just adored. I immediately wanted to be exactly like her. And after having three Margera children, she was in great shape and still looked as amazing as ever.

Her dark hair had been lightened considerably to a golden blonde. It suited her however and I knew I'd never be able to pull off the color like she did. After Jesse had introduced me to her and their home, I pulled him aside to speak with him in private.

“I think I'm in love with your wife.”

All he did was laugh at me.

Kelly explained to me that her cousin, Jessica, had left on a trip to Hawaii with a group of friends and hence Kelly was overwhelmed with the amount of things that had to be done before Jessica would return. A few things she needed help with was a bridal shower for an old friend of hers, a six year old girl's birthday party as well as doing some redecorating of a recent college graduate's new house. She had a lot on her plate and she definitely needed the extra help. Once she'd gone over everything, she asked me if I had any questions.

With a smile, I asked, “When can I start?”
♠ ♠ ♠
To everyone who reads this story, I wrote a Christmas one shot about ABO. It is is called Deck the Halls and I hope you all like it!