Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

We Own the Night

(Kay's POV)

“Her flight has landed.” Aimee said as she returned to the area just inside of the airport where the rest of us waited for Eva. “Another few minutes and she should be coming out.”

“Does she suspect anything?” I asked as I glanced towards the desk where Aimee had just walked from.

“It's us, Kay.” Aimee said with a little smile. “She always suspects something when we're involved.”

I laughed but said nothing more. Aimee had promised to pick Eva up at the airport and then take her back to Bam's house for the night. Then the next day they were going out looking for apartments for Eva to move into. Eva was officially moving to the United States, she had already transferred her job to one in Philadelphia, and what she didn't know yet was that Aimee and I, with help from our other girls, Beth, Apple and Clubby, were taking her on a “Welcome to America” night out.

The dark hair of our English friend appeared within the mass of people exiting the terminal. When she was able to see her entourage, her face registered surprise.

“Eva!” We all shouted in greeting before running to her side. Once she was engulfed in a group hug, she finally laughed.

“What is all of this?” She asked, her accent muffled in her laughs. “Why are there so many people here?”

“It's time to party!” Apple exclaimed, nearly jumping up and down in her excitement.

“Party with you lot?” Eva asked, her eyes getting wider at the thought. “Do you think I'm crazy?”

“You're friends with us so... yeah.” Aimee said as she threw her arm over Eva's shoulder and steered her towards the revolving doors of the airport.

Beth and I followed behind with Eva's bags. Clubby was skipping next to her and Aimee. Apple was chatting happily about all of the things she wanted to do.

“I'm not sure I'm ready for this.” Eva squeaked out, glancing over at me and Beth for help to a situation where help would be futile.

“They've been like this since we left West Chester.” I warned her as we stepped out of the airport and into the hot summer air. “Just go along with it. It'll be less painful.”

“Kay's got a point.” Beth said in agreement. Eva muttered something under her breath, but she was pushed into the Hummer with Apple and Clubby behind her before I could ask what it was. Aimee was getting into the driver's seat while Beth and I loaded the bags into the back.

Then we were off.

The six of us had gotten to the bar within twenty minutes of leaving the airport and hours later, we were still busy drinking, laughing and talking about what was to come next for us. Our friend, Kelly, was going to be marrying her boyfriend, Dan, in a month and we all knew this was probably the start of all of us settling down.

I was taking a sip of my newest beer when my phone went off. The sound of my ringtone, “Lilac Breeze” by Eels, surprised me and I grabbed my phone. Glancing at the caller, my eyebrows came together. Why was Chad calling me?

Aimee and Beth's phones went off at the same time. Aimee's “Rocker” by the 69 Eyes ringtone mixed with Beth's “Hellions on Parade” by CKY ringtone. The mix sounded odd so the three of us glanced at the others before we answered our respective calls.

“Hello?” I answered, not entirely sure why Chad had to call when I was in the middle of spending time with my friends.

“Where have you been?” Chad sounded worried and it made me even more confused.

“I'm in Philly. Where are you?”

“Home.” Chad answered, confusion mirrored in his tone. “Why are you in Philly?”

“Uh- we had to pick up Eva from the airport.” I reminded him. What was wrong with him?

“We? Are the girls with you?” Chad was no longer frantic in his questions, but I was still confused. “Aimee and Beth?”

What was going on?

“Yeah. Why?”

Chad let out a sigh of relief. “We've been going crazy. We didn't know what happened to all of you.”

“We?”

“Bam, Chris and I. We've been looking for you and the girls for hours.” Chad said something else, but he had pulled the phone away from his mouth. My eyes glanced up at the table to see both Aimee and Beth with similar expressions to mine on their faces. I guess we forget to tell our boyfriends about going out.

Oops.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for my sister, heartagramlove! I love you sweetie.