Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Wanted Dead or Alive

(Kay’s POV)

I had been dreaming. God, it had been amazing. I was alone on the beach with a martini in one hand and a book I left at home and had been dying to read in the other. I was far away from the insanity I’d already witnessed in the past 24 hours and no one was able to reach me.

Then reality came crashing down around me.

I'd like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly. It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep. 'Cause everything is never as it seems.

My cell phone started to sing its Owl City song at me. Someone was calling me, but all I could do was lie in the queen sized bed of the hotel room. The lyrics of my ringtone were so true to my life.

“Are you going to answer that or should I?” Eva mumbled from the opposite bed.

Giving up on ignoring my caller since my phone had woken Eva up, I grabbed it from the nightstand and lifted it to my ear without looking at the caller ID. “Hello?”

“Kay! Finally you picked up! I need your help down here at the docks!” Clubby’s voice was muffled against the loud background. I couldn’t figure out where she was, but I was beginning to regret answering the phone. I should have just let Eva answer it.

“Heather?” I asked in confusion. A glance at the clock told me all I needed to know. It was 11:30… she was already wasted. “Where are you?”

“It’s called… hold on…” The sound of the shuffling and a sudden cry out filled my ear before Clubby’s voice, farther away but nonetheless annoying, filled the background. “I WILL NOT LEAVE WITHOUT MY LIFE PARTNER!”

Eva’s head lifted off of the pillow she’d been sleeping on and her tired eyes looked at me. “I can hear her from over here.”

I shook my head. Unbelievable.

Eva sat up on the bed and pulled the blankets around her body. “What the hell is she doing? Getting arrested?”

It was supposed to be a joke, but then when it came to Heather, it could be a possibility.

“Shit.” Hanging up on Clubby, I jumped from the bed, threw a quick outfit on with my flip flops on my feet and my dirty hair in a messy ponytail, I grabbed my car keys and wallet. “I’ll be right back.”

I didn’t wait for Eva to respond and took off out of the room. I had to get to my car and find out where the hell the idiot got herself before she ended up tossed in jail. I couldn’t afford that shit. Not when we had a party to go to that night.
~~~

I’d gotten a hold of Heather a few minutes after leaving the hotel. She’d been kicked out of the ACME grocery store and was permanently banned from it. We hadn’t even been in West Chester a full 24 hours and she was already kicked out of an establishment. I couldn’t take the girl anywhere without her getting into trouble.

Pulling up into the fire lane of the supermarket, the sight that greeted me was pathetic. Heather, with her crazy pirate hair still put together, stood outside the front doors with two security guards flanking her. Sighing, I rolled down my window and waved to them.

“I’m here to pick up the pirate.” I told them with a frown. “What’d she do?”

“She started to destroy the store while chasing people and attacking others with her pirate sword. We’ve confiscated the sword and she will not be getting it back.” The one security guard said the last part more towards Heather. She frowned at hearing it. “We could arrest her and press charges for the damage she’s done.”

The thought terrified me. “Please don’t. She won’t be here ever again. I’ll make sure of it. She’s like a child and will be dealt with as such.” I leveled an angry look in her direction. All she did was shrug as if she didn’t understand why she was in trouble. “Do you understand Heather?”

Clubby nodded, but said nothing. The security guards let her go with a warning. If she came back to the market ever again, she’d be arrested on sight. I promised that wouldn’t happen and pulled away from the market. It was silent for a good few minutes before I started in on her.

“What the fuck happened and how did you even get to there in the first place?” I asked as I tried to control my anger.

“Aimee went to get juice and I came to protect her. She is the birthday girl.” Clubby said it all so matter-of-factly that it almost made sense, but then again, I was sane and she… well, she was not. “Then I lost her and I fought the bad things trying to find her.”

“Those bad things that you were trying to fight were people and you’re lucky you aren’t facing assault charges.” I told her sternly. Trying to reason with Heather Dolbey was like trying to reason with a kindergartener. At least a kindergartener would know when she was being bad. Heather didn’t have that brain function.

“Hah! I’m wanted… dead… or alive!” Heather waved her hands around, but then when she remembered she didn’t have her sword anymore, she dropped her hands in her lap with a pout on her face.

“Can you at least behave for the rest of the afternoon? Please?” I was willing to get down on my knees and beg for it. I wanted the rest of the day to be restful since the party tonight was bound to get a little crazy.

“Fine.” She said reluctantly.

I prayed she was telling the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's hard to believe it's already September which means that not only was it Clubby's birthday, but me, Ames and Bam's birthdays are this month as well! How convenient that the next few chapters are about our birthdays. :D Enjoy!