Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

An Emotional Rollercoaster

(Kay’s POV)

Moving day seemed to be happening all over the place. Aimee, Jaimie and little Mel moved to Pennsylvania while Dan moved up to Albany to live with me and Kelly. It was a huge change to say the least. A third of our group was now in an entirely different state while the rest were either in southern New York or in a completely different country. Our numbers were starting to dwindle.

Placing Dan’s last box into the room he’d be sharing with Kelly, I took a deep breath. My roommate’s bed was covered with a suitcase and a few boxes while the rest of the stuff was piled near her closet. I didn’t know how they were going to manage to unpack everything that night, but I was around if they needed any help. They might have been a couple, but I had known both of them longer than they’d known each other. I found it amazing how easily they’d become friends, then a couple and now they were moving into a forever situation.

The thought depressed me. Turning out of the room and heading for the kitchen, I knew exactly what I needed to make this night go by faster. Opening the refrigerator, I pulled out the bottle of wine that sat there staring at me. Cabernet… my favorite.

I pulled the cork out of the bottle and smelled the fruity aroma of the wine. Pouring myself a glass, I replaced the bottle in the fridge before walking to the living room. Kelly and Dan entered the apartment. I took in the sight of them together. Kelly was thin and not very tall. She was around my height, about 5’4”, with bright blue eyes, pale skin and wavy blond hair. Dan was very different in appearance. He was taller, around 5’10”, with a strong build. He was muscular due to his career choice, high school gym teacher, with shaggy dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. His skin was darker due to his Puerto Rican heritage.

The couple was different and yet complimented each other so perfectly. Kelly could be silly at times, but she was the more serious of the two. Dan was like Dico and Clubby mixed into one being. It was frightening at times, but I’d known him much longer than I’d known Heather so anything he did didn’t surprise me any longer.

“Hey is that wine?” Kelly asked as she glanced at me in the doorway to the living room.

“Yup. There’s plenty in the fridge if you want some.” I told her with a smile.

“Great. Dan- did you want a glass?” Kelly asked her boyfriend of forever.

He grinned at her. “Sure.”

Kelly walked past me into the kitchen to fetch the drinks leaving me in silence contemplation with Dan looking at me. It was awkward as hell just standing there without speaking. I didn’t really know what to say or do. I hadn’t seen Dan in nearly a year.

“Thanks for letting me move in.” He said with a small smile. It was strange that he was acting normal for once. I guess when you work with kids all day you have to be normal.

I gave him a return smile. “It’s my pleasure.” I took a sip of my wine. “It’s been a while.”

“That’s an understatement.” He responded with a chuckle.

Kelly reappeared with their glasses. Handing Dan his wine, she gave him a quick kiss, but I saw all of the love that was there. My heart clenched at the gesture. I missed having that. I missed being in a relationship.

The entire week had been an emotional rollercoaster for me. Kelly’s reveal that her boyfriend was moving in which shocked me, our argument over Chad and Josh which upset me, Josh calling me out of the blue which excited me… then back to the moving in of Dan which made me feel lonely. Kelly didn’t realize it, but she was pushing me away… she was replacing me.

My roommate glanced at me with eagerness in her eyes. “So what should we do now? Oh! Let’s watch a movie or something. That could be fun, right?”

Kelly was glancing between me and Dan looking for an answer. I put on my happiest smile as I made my response.

“I’d love to, Kel, but I have to work tomorrow. I’m gonna have to pass on the movie.” I finished my wine in one quick gulp. “We’ll catch up later.”

I turned away, but I had already glimpsed Kelly’s disappointed expression. I placed my glass into the dishwasher before hurrying into my bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I leaned against it as the tears came.

How was I going to do this?

How did I intend on living in the same apartment with a couple who were so clearly in love with each other?

The warm tears streamed down my cheeks as I stood there taking it all in. My life was a mess. My best friend was gone to another state to start a new life. My other best friend was now living with her boyfriend and no doubt they’d be married within the year and moving on with their lives. Childhood friends were no longer around the corner from my house. The only other people I had who were single and in Albany was guy who didn’t ever date and an insane girl who was possibly seeing one of Bam’s best friends. Clubby’s love life was always in question.

Sliding to the floor, I realized I had nobody. Josh was a nice thought, but a guy like him could never truly want to be in a relationship with a girl like me. Now that the tears had started, I knew it would be a while before they stopped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Special shout out to ninapple for her comment. This chapter is for you!