Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Over It

(Kay’s POV)

I had a well-deserved distraction in my apartment: Carina Brannigan, little sister and talker extraordinaire. The girl could talk her way out of a cardboard box without even lifting a finger. It was a special talent and every time I complimented her on it, she’d tell me to shut up. It wasn’t a bad thing.

“So I told him ‘you want to play ball with me, you better grow some yourself. I’m a girl and I’ve got bigger balls than you.’” Carina was throwing her hands into the air as she told her story.

I stared at my baby sister in disbelief. Did I just hear those words come out of her mouth? When had she become so vulgar?

The two of us had gone out for lunch after she’d shown up at my apartment that morning. There we sat in the middle of the small diner down the street and my sister’s loud mouth was telling story after story of what’s been happening back home since… well since apparently the last three years I’d been gone.

“So how’s everything going with you?” She finally asked before shoving some of her grilled cheese sandwich into her mouth and chewing. At least she was quiet while she ate. It was a much needed break from her talking.

“It’s been ok. I’ve been talking to a guy.” I mentioned before I hid behind my tall glass of water. I knew how my sister was going to react.

“A guy? Oh my god, who is he?” Carina seemed to be more into my love life than I was at any one time. “Tell me all about him.”

I nearly cringed from the demand. “Do I have to?”

Carina glared at me as if I had just asked the stupidest question in the entire world. “Yes!”

I smiled at her enthusiasm. Sometimes I wished I still had her excitement over things. “His name is Josh, he lives in Pennsylvania and he is a fitness trainer.”

“Oh my god! That’s so awesome.” My sister started to gush. I cringed on the inside as she did so. Once Carina got started, there was no stopping her. “He must be so cool. How long have you been seeing him? Is he nice? Oh my God, when do I get to meet him?”

“Car- we aren’t really seeing each other. We’re just talking on the phone.” I told her with a shake of my head. “Don’t spin my words.”

“I would never!” My little sister said before continuing on her rampage. “Let’s be real about this though, Kay. Talking on the phone eventually leads to dating then coupling… Have you had sex yet?”

“Carina!” I scolded her for asking me something so personal. “I barely know this guy.”

“So?” My sister lifted her drink as she shrugged.

I stared at her with my mouth hanging open. Who was this person sitting across from me?

“Have you had casual sex with someone you barely know before?” I asked, afraid of what her answer was going to be.

“Kay- I’m eighteen years old. Of course I have!” Carina said those words with a smile on her face.

I almost choked on my food.

“What?” Carina asked as she saw my expression. “Did I say something wrong?”

“Forget about it.” I muttered as I glanced around the diner for our waitress. I needed to get her out of here before she said anything even more mortifying. I didn’t notice the waitress, but I did see someone else I did know. Someone I had prayed I’d never see face to face again.

“Kay?” Ethan called out as he stood at the cash register waiting for his usual pickup lunch order. “Is that you?”

I let my head fall into my hands. How could I be so stupid? I knew he ate here every day while he was at work. How did I forget that?

Ethan appeared beside our booth with a bright smile on his face. He was acting as if we weren’t exes and I hated his guts. Glancing at Carina, my scumbag ex-boyfriend smiled as he saw her. “Car? You look so different! How old are you now?”

“Eighteen.” She said, her previous cheery attitude replaced with a sullen countenance.

“Eighteen? Damn… it’s been a while since I’ve seen you.” Ethan said, stating the obvious. “You’ve gotten even more beautiful if you don’t mind me saying.”

My sister’s eyes flashed angrily, but Ethan didn’t seem to notice. The guy could never take a hint.

“Ethan- I think she does mind.” I told him as calmly as I could. Where the fuck was that waitress?

He turned and scowled at me as if I were interrupting something important. “Why can’t you just back off and let me talk to Carina?”

It had been a quiet conversation up until that point. Then my sister had to make it loud as she lost her cool.

“You better peace out before I sic Kay’s hot as fuck fitness trainer boyfriend on your ass!” Carina nearly screamed at him. Her eyes were like daggers. She wasn’t hiding her feelings for Ethan any more.

Ethan glanced at me in complete helplessness. I almost felt bad for him until I remembered… I hated him. I shrugged as an answer to his unspoken question. He glared at me before turning from the table and leaving the diner without his meal.

Once he had cleared the exit and the doors swung shut behind him, my sister glanced at me with an unsure look on her face.

“What?” I asked in concern.

“Josh is hot… right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy belated birthday to Bameo! We forgot about it yesterday lol