Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Put on your Mascara and your Party Dress

(Kay's POV)

“I got the job!”

I rushed into the apartment without looking and almost crashed into Abbey.

“Oh!” I gasped, stopping myself before I knocked her to the ground. I grabbed her arm to keep her from tumbling. “Sorry!”

Abbey gripped my arm tightly. Once she was steady, she looked at me with large blue eyes. “It's alright. What is going on?”

I smiled sheepishly as Aimee walked out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in her hand. My roommate had an expectant smile on her face. “Yes? What is going on?”

I cleared my throat and continued to speak, sensing that Aimee knew something I didn't. “I had my interview for the bank job today and after it was finished, the manager told me I had the job. I have a job!”

Abbey squealed in happiness and pulled me into a hug. I glanced at my roomie over her shoulder and saw the knowing look in her eyes. I untangled myself from Abbey's arms and leveled a suspicious look at Ames.

“What did you do?” I asked her with a frown.

“Nothing. I called Albany to warn your old manager about the coming phone call. The bank had already called him by then. He told me he gave you a glowing recommendation, despite Heather's constant antics. He told me you had the job already. The manager just had to do the interview as a formality.” Aimee smiled at me. “Congrats by the way.”

I laughed. Of course Aimee would have gone behind my back to make sure the job was secured. “Thanks.”

“We need to celebrate.” Abbey suggested with a sparkle in her gaze. The girl would find any excuse to celebrate something just to go out.

Aimee sipped her coffee before speaking. “I'm way ahead of you.”

Abbey turned to look at our friend questioningly. “Really?”

“Remember- I knew she had the job before she did.” Aimee looked at me then. “We're going to Kildaire's. Girl's night out?”

“Can this 'girl's night out' not include Clubby?” I asked with a shake of my head. “I'd rather she not know where I work right away.”

“Point taken.”

Before Aimee had a chance to escape the room, I asked a question I never thought I'd utter. “Do you want to invite Jaimie?”

Aimee froze for a moment then glanced back at me. “Why?”

“Well you've been down here, the both of you, for nearly two months and I know you've barely seen her. I'm sure she's lonely.” I didn't know why I wanted the girl there, but she was still our friend. It only made sense that we made an effort to include her.

Aimee was silent as she mulled this over before letting out a long sigh. “Fine. But you're calling her.”

***

Kildaire's was packed with college students. It was towards the ends of the semester for West Chester University and the students were partying as hard as they could before finals approached. The Irish pub was overcrowded and it seemed that some event was going on on top of the regulars that were there for a drink.

“What the hell?” Aimee asked as we stepped inside the bar. It was barely 5pm, but it was super busy. My roommate was dressed in a pair of ripped jeans, her pink Adios sneakers, a white wife beater with her favorite leather jacket thrown over top. A Heartagram necklace dangled from her neck and her burgundy hair was thrown up in a messy ponytail. “Where did all of these people come from?”

“The college.” Abbey answered automatically. She would know this considering she probably had classes with half of the people in the bar. Abbey was only a year younger than the rest of us and went to college full time at WCU. “There is a Wing competition going on tonight. I can't believe I forgot about it.”

“I don't mind that it's crowded.” Jaimie spoke up with a smirk. She didn't voice her reasons, but by the look on her face, we could figure it out. I glanced over her outfit and almost grimaced. She wore her favorite outfit out: a pair of black leggings that fit so snugly that it left nothing to the imagination, a blue corset that was clearly not meant to be a shirt with a pair of pumps on her feet that had... my god... spikes on it. Her dyed black and red hair was curled to absolute perfection and even I had to admit the curls suited her... even while the rest of the outfit didn't.

Abbey, who had also curled her hair though her hair was much longer than Jaimie's and blonde, glanced through the crowd as if searching for someone. She wore a tube top that was tan and black stripped with a belt around her waist. She wore dark skinny jeans which were tucked into a pair of zippered up boots. A cropped jacket covered her shoulders. With a sigh of relief, our friend glanced at us with a smile. “No sign of the guys. We're safe.”

I laughed at that and followed the other three to a small table in the corner. It was as far away from the crowd as we could get. I was the only one who had actually put on a dress for the night and was beginning to wish I'd done otherwise due to the chill. The dress was gorgeous. It was an olive color that complimented my light skin tone. It was sleeveless and the fabric reached the floor. I wasn't one to really wear maxi dresses, but the moment I'd seen this one, I had to have it. I had put a multi-colored stone sash around my waist. The ribbon of the sash was black while the stones shone in pinks, greens and white. A pair of black flats were on my feet. My russet hair was straightened and fell just below my shoulders. A black and gold beaded necklace hung around my neck and a pair of gold bangles were on my wrist. A pretty cardigan was wrapped around my shoulders.

We look like a fashion magazine, I thought to myself as we sat around the table. Then I giggled.

“What's so funny?” Aimee asked as she peered over her drink menu at me.

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing again. “Nothing.”

Aimee didn't look like she believed me, but she kept her mouth shut. The waitress appeared and took our drink orders. Abbey ordered a white Zin, Jaimie got her mudslide, Aimee wanted a Jameson and Coke and me... well I just got a plain old beer. It was an interesting mix to say the least.

The night turned out to be reasonably fun even with Jaimie and the constant harassment of random college kids who knew Abbey. Some of them had even recognized Aimee. Abbey was in a serious relationship with Novak while Aimee was in a semi-relationship with Bam. I wasn't sure what to label Josh and I as, but I wasn't going to screw it up by messing around with some random guy. Jaimie, however, took advantage of all the guys we passed up.

She had fled the table only twenty minutes ago when Aimee spied her leaving with some guy. Shaking her head, she downed her third whiskey before waving the waitress back over. “I can't believe she's already picked someone up. We've been here an hour.”

I chuckled as the door swung shut behind her. “At least she's out of our hair now.”

“Promise me something.” Aimee begged of me looking as serious as I'd ever seen her.

“What?”

Never invite her out again.”

I smiled. “I'll never invite her out again. Promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm updating tonight since I won't be able to tomorrow. I'm going to NY Comic Con! :) enjoy!