Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Twisted Emotions

(Kay's POV)

“I feel like shit.” I groaned as I threw my hand over my eyes to block the sunlight. Damn sun. Why did it have to be so bright?

After a moment, once the overwhelming nausea had passed, I pulled my hand away and glanced around the living room. When I'd gotten home from the bar earlier that morning, I must have passed out on the floor. Amid was sleeping soundly on the couch where he was supposed to be. Grimacing against the headache that suddenly came on, I put my head in my hands. Feeling the purple bandanna I had put in my hair as a headband the night before, I ripped it off and threw it away from me. The last thing I wanted was a reminder of the previous night.

The sound of my bathroom door opening caught my attention. Glancing up, I noticed my sister walk out in nothing, but her underclothes. She waved at me before walking back into Aimee's bedroom and closing the door behind her. The sound of the hair dryer kicked on and getting the strength to stand, I went into the kitchen for aspirin and a cup of water.

I felt like Hell. My head pounded, I was sick to my stomach and the last thing I wanted was food, but knowing how much I drank the night before, all so I could forget my confusion over Chad and Josh, I had to eat something. Gulping down a huge glass of cool water, I turned to the refrigerator and pulled it open. All I could find was leftovers or shit that wouldn't settle well in my stomach full of booze and painkillers. Slamming the door shut, I turned around to the counter and pulled the toaster towards me. At least I knew I could swallow toast during a hangover.

As the bread toasted, I got myself another glass of water. I slowly sipped it as my sister reappeared in the kitchen. She was now dressed in cute jeans and tank top, her hair straightened to perfection like always.

“How are you feeling?” Carina asked as she reached the coffee pot where the fresh brew steamed. I wished I could stomach the coffee.

“Fine.” I snapped bitterly. I sat at the kitchen table and put my head on my folded arms.

I heard Carina pull up the chair beside me and sit down. She placed her mug on the table before she spoke again. “Kay- I'm your sister. Not an idiot.”

Sighing and then flinching when my head protested against it, I met my sister's identical gaze. She looked worried and it made me ache to confide in her. The thought of telling her my problems made me pause. Did I really want to go there?

When I didn't speak, Carina looked at me sadly. “Are you happy here?”

The question wasn't one I was expecting. “What?”

Waving towards the rest of the apartment, she explained. “All night you were angry over something and if I could guess, it has something to do with that boyfriend of yours.”

“He isn't my boyfriend.” I told her before I could stop myself. Biting my lip, I looked away from her probing gaze and into the living room where Amid was still passed out.

“Excuse me?”

Knowing I was caught, I met my sister's eyes unwillingly. “He isn't my boyfriend. We never labeled it.”

“So you've been allowing him to sleep with you, but he isn't yours?” Carina shook her head as if she couldn't wrap her head around my explanation. “What is the matter with you? You would have never done something like this back in New York.”

“I don't know if you noticed but I don't live in New York anymore, Car.” I drank my glass of water until it was gone.

“What about that Chad guy? He seemed sweet on you.”

That caught my attention. “What? No, he's not.”

My sister rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Be blind to it, but a guy like him won't wait around forever, Kay. I suggest you figure out what you want and soon... otherwise you'll regret it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to my little sister, Chelsey, whom Carina's character is based on. I love you honey! <3