Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

True Professionalism

(Aimee's POV)

Did I really have to go to work today? It was 6 AM and I had only fallen asleep a few hours before. Pulling myself up from the bed, I pretty much zombie walked into the bathroom and cranked the shower on. Washing out the silly string Clubby had sprayed in my hair the night before was going to take a good hour. It was just not something I was in the mood to do when I got ready for bed. After recording the Radio Bam session, Heather apparently didn't approve of me saying that there would be no Halloween outfits to be worn to work. Mean it was only February, of course my answer to the every day costume wearer would be no. Bet the game store only let her do it for an entertainment factor.

I checked my hair out in the mirror before blow-drying it to ensure that I had every bit of silly string out. Pleased, I proceeded to dry my burgundy hair before turning the straightener on. Reaching the closet with only my towel on, I regretted not bringing the clothes I needed into the warm bathroom. This cold bedroom kick Bam had been on was not working out well. Don't know how many times I had turned the heat up during the nights only to wake up when he turned the heat back down.

Fully changed, hair straightened to perfection, and with just the right amount of make-up on to cover up the bags under my eyes, I left the room and headed down to make my coffee. There was no way I was going to make it though the day without a double latte to kick it off. Not to mention countless trips to the coffee machine in the staff room for caffeine refuels. Then again I could just send Heather to the cafe down the street for lattes all day and kill three birds with one stone. Not only would she be out of my hair literally, but I would have coffee and be awake for the eight hour work day ahead of me.

My thermos was filled, bagel packed for the ride and my coat in my arms when I came around the corner and walked right into someone who smelled of stale cigarettes and whiskey. The impact caused me to loose grip on my precious latte and I watched in horror as the ceramic travel mug fell to the ground and shattered into a million pieces.

“I could fucking kill you right now!” I didn't even look up at Chad, instead I stared at what was once my favorite mug.

“Why do you have coffee at this hour? You need a drink.” That's when I realized the drunken moron had a bottle of jack in his grasp. There was probably about two shots left in the thing. “You have a Guitar Central shirt?”

My mind was at a loss. “I have to go to work Chad. I'll talk to you when I get home.” Waving him off, I stepped over the mug and debated which Dunkin Donuts to stop at on the way to work.

***

Taking a sip of my latte, I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to remember who was opening with me. I thought it was Benny, but couldn't quite remember. Driving in front of the store I saw a shit load of people mobbing the front. Cell phone in hand, I called the assistant manager and asked him to meet me in the back of the store.

“Did we have a new product come out today or something?” I asked in full confusion. There was only one other time when I saw a line in front of a store and it was at the Albany location during a black Friday sale.

Benny shrugged as I dug my keys out from the back and unlocked the back door. “No idea.” We got the store ready in record time and had all the morning staff come in though the back. Each one seemed as confused as could be. “Maybe there's a huge sale we don't know about!”

Shaking my head, I pointed to where the future sales hung on the wall in chronological order. “The next sale we have is in a couple weeks. Besides we never have any promotions start on Tuesdays.” This was becoming a mystery that needed solving.

The man next to me stopped filling in paper work on guitar sales and stared at the security monitor. “Todd is here. We must have missed something!”

Moments later, Todd had asked us to walk out onto the sales floor for a moment. “Do you see a common theme with our eager customers?” He asked everyone who had joined us in a circle.

Looking through the glass I saw what he meant. Most wore either CKY, HIM or Viva La Bam shirts. “There was a Viva La Bam show Sunday night huh?” Benny fought a chuckle at the end.

“They probably want to see what Heather does next.” The admission left my mouth as I looked to Todd. “You hired her, not me.”

An angry look filled the District Manager's features. “That's not who they were chanting for.”

“So you are angry because I'm bringing in more business?” My anger levels raised a bit. “If you look at the numbers, they are higher now than when we opened with a ton of advertisement.”

His face loosened a bit. “I have notice. Just make sure these people actually buy items instead of getting in the way of actual customers.”

Right before we were ready to get back to work, the back door to the floor opened and slammed shut. “Sorry I'm late.” Heather's voice filled the area. Instantly I had a bad feeling. “I was up all night getting my outfit ready.” Turning around, I instantly regretted it. “What's with the mob outside?” Heather was dressed as Bender from Futurama. “Ew, they are CKY fans!”

“Both of you are fired.” Todd spat out. “I'm not dealing with this insanity anymore. It's a miracle work gets done at all.”

Not in the mood to fight, I walked away and pointed Heather out the door. With everything from my office, I unlocked the Mercedes and watched as a frozen Bender climbed in and barely fit. “I'm never going to hear the end of this! Rake made a bet with Dico that I would get fired over this.”

Not speaking a word, I drove back towards West Chester. “No one will know. We can hide out at the Note all day.” Thank god Bam had left the keys to the place in here. Besides, I wasn't in the mood to deal with the mug breaker.
♠ ♠ ♠
An early update for Tayluvssam. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comments!