Status: okay, okay. I'm editing-Michelle

Double Trouble

A Dream Come True

I was looking at all the players and was awestruck, today was the first official practice I had with the Chicago Blackhawks. I was drafted by them, but was sent to the their American Hockey League team the Icehogs and it was great but it wasn’t what I wanted. I wanted make it to the National level, to play with the same rigor that Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux had played. I honestly still haven't come to terms with it, I sometimes think I'm dreaming or I'm going to get a call telling me that it was all a joke. There is one thing I'm definitely sure of: I will prove to everyone in the league that I belong here.

I have a wonderful sister who has helped me out during the past year at the AHL and has always been my number one supporter. Alina has always been there for me through the good and bad. She was there for my first hip check and concussion. Without her, I'd be lost...then again, she is my other half, my twin.

I could feel a grin come on my face as Coach Q entered the locker room. The rest of the boys still hadn't noticed my presence, that may as well be because I'm already dressed out and a good couple inches taller; honestly, no one can really tell how tall you are while sitting.

“Alright, today is everyone’s first day back, and we’re gonna go through the basic drills and get you guys back into shape for the season. Today will not be an easy day. It will be like all the other practices this year. Now I want to see you all out there on the ice.”

The boys all grunted and made comments as we all headed out for the ice. We began by taking laps around the ice, a nice warm up. Next we had to go through drills to see where we fit on the line up. We worked on passing and perfecting our shots for hours. A piercing whistle echoed through the stadium.

“Alright boys, suicides from to and from the blue lines. We’ll keep going until there is only one of you standing.” Coach yelled.

We all lined up across the line, with Sharp and Bickell on either side of me.

“You know kid, you’re really short.” Sharp said. I just shrugged in response. Coach blew his whistle and we all began skating as fast and hard as we can to the blue line.

One by one after the first good half hour, the players started dropping, and skating to the side. All I could think of was staying. Just keep going. One foot after the other. You can do this. Prove them all wrong. Prove to them that you deserve to be in the NHL. I kept those thoughts on repeat, forgetting about everyone else. I kept my pace steady and even until I dropped. I cursed silently and picked myself up, surprised to see that there was only one other person besides myself that was still skating.

I pushed myself towards the rest of the guys until we saw our Captain do two more suicides before just letting his inertia propel him forwards. Coach blew his whistle again, motioning for us to gather around him.

“Not bad for your first practice back. Good job all of you, and I gotta say, Addison, for just coming into the NHL, you are one good player. You were able to keep up with Toews, not many can do that during the preseason. All of you go in and take a shower, Addison, come with me for a bit, we need to talk things out.” I nodded and skated towards Coach as everyone went to the locker rooms.

“We need to figure out a way to have you be able to come in, change, and shower for practice and the games. The management is currently trying to fix up the locker rooms and adding an extension for you, but until then, we have to make-do with what is available.” He said to me.

I nodded. “Honestly Coach, I had to deal with changing and showering in the same locker room as the guys all throughout the AHL and previous hockey teams. It’s no biggie, may I please go change?” Coach nodded and I went to the locker rooms.

I took off my helmet and walked into the locker room nonchalant. Everyone looked up and gave me a smile, and looked back away, only to take another look and once they processed who I was and, well, flipped a shit.

Holy shit why are you here and who are you?” Kane exclaimed.

I looked around and pointed to myself. “Are you talking to me?” Kane nodded and I shrugged. “I got drafted and here I am. Isn’t that how everyone gets into the NHL?”

“I guess what Kaner is trying to say is, how did a girl manage to get into the NHL.” Patrick Sharp said.

I shrugged. “I guess that it’s because I proved my worth. Is there a problem with me being on the team?” I raised my eyebrow.

Although I was all nonchalant and acting like it didn’t affect me in reality it did. I wanted to be accepted by them and I don’t know what would happen if they disliked me.

“No, there isn’t a problem. I guess we were all just shocked. It’s not everyday that a girl walks in and is part of the team.” Keith replied.

I gave him a grin. “Well, then, I guess I should introduce myself. My name’s Avery Addison.” I put my hand out for him to shake it. He took it and gave me a smile.

“Well, Addison, welcome to the Blackhawks. I hope you enjoy your year of being hip checked, pranked, and whined to.” He replied before turning back to the rest of the boys. “Hey boys, this is Avery. She’s our new team mate. Be nice to her.”With that he left me to myself. I shrugged and walked to my locker and began stripping off my gear.

Whoa why are you taking off your clothes?” Kaner exclaimed from behind me. I sighed and turned around, only in a pair of spandex and a sports bra.

“Because I do need to shower and change into some actual clothing. I don’t want to smell like sweat for the rest of the day. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go take a shower.” I retorted, walking across to where the showers are. “Oh, and I will not hesitate to castrate any of you for trying to get a peek. Am I understood?” Everyone nodded and I gave them a smile before completely disappearing from view.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here's the first chapter. I hope you all enjoy it. Comments would be lovely.