Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Bargaining With An Old Kai

Goku finished and looked at the boys, completely at a loss as to why they looked disappointed. He had shown them the Fusion Dance step for step, and it looked like they hadn't even been paying attention!

"That… that's it?" asked Trunks, one brow perked.

Goku nodded, "That's it! Were you two paying attention? It's extremely important you get it absolutely right or your combined body could be a disaster! Not a single mistake, not even the tiniest one can be made!"

Trunks glanced at Goten and then back, "It looks ridiculous," he said flatly.

"Trunks!" Rilan snapped, stepping forward, but even he looked a bit confused, "If Goku says this is it, then this is it! Show some respect."

"Rilan, can I use you to help me demonstrate it?" asked Goku, looking at him, "You just have to mirror me, and our finger tips touch at the end."

Rilan turned red and Trunks snickered. Goten looked on with wide eyes, as if trying to take all of it in. Rilan gulped and nodded, and Goku grinned, at least someone here realized that the Fusion Dance wasn't something to be embarrassed of, it was a powerful technique!

"We aren't going to fuse right here, are we?" Rilan asked.

"No, of course not, the dance is just a part of it," said Goku as they got in position, "We would have to focus and make our power level exactly the same, our breaths taken exactly the same, and everything. It takes a lot of practice, but, we only have two days…"

He had told Buu that the boys would be ready by then. He had a feeling that he would wait, especially now that Bobbity was dead. Buu had killed him himself.

Rilan carefully did the Fusion Dance next to Goku, taking the correct steps, propping up their knees, and then saying the phrase as they moved.

"Fuuuu-sion! HA!" with the Ha, their fingertips touched, and Rilan straightened quickly, still a bit red in the face.

"I have to admit, Goku, it does seem like quite a silly formation for a technique so powerful. If only I still had my ability to automadically fuse two people. I like to think it wasn't wasted on Lecron, but.. he's in Other World, what help can he be here?"

"Your fusion was permanent, though," Goku pointed out, "I don't think the boys would want to be stuck together after they beat Buu."

"If they beat Buu," Piccolo corrected.

Goku grinned, "I'm not too worried. With these two, and Makoto getting training from the Supreme Kai, Buu won't know what hit him!"

The boys looked at one another, and nodded.

"We can do it," said Trunks in a hard voice.

Goten grinned and gave a thumbs up, "No sweat!"

Goku smiled, "I'm glad you boys are so confident, you'll need it."

"Hey, uhm, Dad," said Goten, looking at him with big eyes, "Can you show us Super Saiyan 3 again? Please?"

"Yeah!" cried Trunks, excited, "That was insane!"

Goku sighed but shrugged. He only had a few hours left since he had used so much power before, and he had nothing left to teach the boys. Might as well show them one last time.

He positioned himself, and then began to let out a cry of effort. He was hardly aware of the room shaking and everyone staring at him as he focused all his power within him. It swelled and swelled, and he went past Super Saiyan, to Super Saiyan 2, and then, pushing even further, pushing as hard as he could, his hair began to lengthen, his power bursting out, lightning lacing around him. Finally, he stopped, panting for a moment, then standing upright.

Krillin came rushing in, his eyes wide with wonder. Rilan was gaping, Piccolo staring. The boys were beaming, looking excited at his new transformation.

"That's so wild!" Trunks said.

"I wish I could go past Super Saiyan 2," said Goten, pouting.

Goku laughed, "It's taken me seven years, and power works differently in Other World. It doesn't take this much… effort," he dropped to one knee, and returned ot normal, panting heavily.

"Goku!" Krillin rushed to his side.

"I'm fine," said Goku, smiling at his friend and getting to his feet.

"Well, your time isn't."

They all jumped and turned to see Baba floating there on her crytal ball, scowling at him. Goku smiled sheepishly.

"Goku, you knew coming here that you couldn't push those limits," she scolded, "Your power took up all of your time left here, and now we have to go back to Other World."

"What?" Goten rushed to his father's side, "No, Dad, don't go!"

"It's okay, son," said Goku, ruffling Goten's hair, "You and Trunks can do this. I believe in you."

Goten nodded slowly, pouting.

"We'll make sure they learn it in time, Goku," said Rilan.

Goku nodded, "Good luck, all of you. I'm going to go see Makoto, and maybe if I find Gohan over there, we can use him too," he smiled.

"Gohan isn't dead!"

Goku blinked and turned to see Videl was in the entrance, walking forward, eyes tearing slightly, "I know he isn't, I don't feel it," she said, "He's alive! Somewhere…"

"Videl, I heard Katima say that he was dead…" said Piccolo.

"And that means he is?!" Videl snapped, clenching her fists, tears rolling off her cheeks, "I know he isn't dead, he can't be!"

"I hope you're right, Videl," said Goku, looking at her sympathedically.

"Goku!" Baba snapped.

"Right, sorry," Goku turned to her, "Let's go!" he looked at the others one last time, "Good luck everyone!"

And then, the Earth vanished, and he was up in the clouds of Other World, flying toward the check in station. Baba soared beside him, a grim look on her antient face.

"I'm worried, Goku," said Baba, "Look at the line."

Goku looked down and saw thousands- possibly millions of spirits waiting in line to check into Other World. So many dead…

"How many are down there?" he whispered.

"Many," said Baba as they got closer, "All from Earth."

Goku clenched his fists, horrified. Buu had causes so much distruction… what was stopping him from tearing the entire world apart? The aspect of a fight, of course… He was a lot like Vegeta in that way, he would wait for a true challenge.

Vegeta…

"I need to speak to King Yama," said Goku, going downward.

"Goku, you're not going to cut in line, are you?" Baba asked.

Goku grinned back at her, "Sure am! Thanks again Baba!"

Baba chuckled, "I wish you luck, Goku. We all need it."

Goku watched her fly off for a moment before landing by the elaborate building that was the check in station and ran inside.

King Yama, a giant of a being, sat behind his massive desk, writing feverishly in notebooks as spirit after spirit came to him. Goku rushed forward, ignoring the protests coming from the spirit orbs.

"King Yama!" he called.

The man's giant red face appeard from over the desk.

"Goku! You're back early!" he said.

"Yes, and I have a favor to ask," said Goku, "I need to see if any of my friends came through here, if they've checked in yet."

"Are you kidding me?!" cried Yama, and lifted a massive pile of notebooks and slammed them on the table, "THESE ARE JUST FROM TODAY!"

Goku rubbed the back of his neck, "I know, King Yama, Earth is under siege, but if I find out if any of my friends came through, they can help me stop it!"

Yama sighed heavily, then nodded, "Fine, what are the names?"

Goku figured that Vegeta wasn't likely allowed to keep his body, so he only asked for his family, "My sister Katima Fallon and my son, Gohan Son," he said.

Yama began rifling through his books, "K… K… hm… K. A. ... Katano, Kathrine, Ah ha! Katima! Yes, she came through not long ago. Very good deeds, I allowed her to keep her body and sent her on up."

"That's great!" cried Goku, grinning, "If she has her body, she can help! What about Gohan?"

Yama went to a different book and flipped through the pages, "G… G… G. O. … G. O. H. … Nope, there's not Gohan here."

Goku stared, "What?"

"No Gohan has come through here," repeated Yama.

"That means- he's still alive!" Goku beamed, "That's fantastic! But… if he's alive… why couldn't I sense him…?"

"Not my problem," said Yama, "Now, go on, Goku, and beat whatever is causing all this mess!"

Goku nodded, an elated feeling in his gut. So Katima did perish, but Gohan was alive! He flew out of the room, getting up a few yards into the air and throwing out his senses. Katima was close, perhaps up near where he had left King Kai. Gohan was further, way further, but definitely up here and not on Earth or the Living World. Why was Gohan up here? Curiosity won out, and he decided to go to Gohan first.

Placing his fingers on his forehead, he vanished, heading for Gohan's power signature.

***

Makoto stared at the half of the blade on the ground with wide eyes. Shin and Kabito were freaking out, staring in horror, yelping. Gohan turned red, "Well then…" he said, dropping the hilt, "Makoto… your skin must be made of stone."

"Or the sword is a piece of junk," said Makoto, examining his arm where the blade snapped. It was slightly red, but no cut in the skin, "I told you it was just a stupid legend."

"Kabito, tell me it isn't true!" Shin cried.

"It is, master, the blade is broken!" Kabito shouted.

Marin rushed to Makoto's side and looked at his arm, "Are you okay, Makoto?" she asked.

"Of course," said Makoto, folding his arms and glaring at the Kais, "It might as well have been a toy sword made of wood."

"Wow, Makoto, it looked really sharp!" Marin said, smiling, "I wanna be as strong as you someday!"

Makoto looked at her, opened his mouth to explain she was human and this wasn't possible, but then between them, Kakarot appeared out of thin air. It knocked him back, and he landed hard on his back. Makoto growled, rubbing the back of his head, propping himself up.

"Kakarot!" he snapped, "What are you doing?! You could have hurt Marin!"

"Makoto!" Kakarot blinked at him, "So this is where Supreme Kai took you!" he turned, and saw Gohan, "Gohan!"

"Dad, what are you doing here?" asked Gohan, "Twenty-four hours hasn't been up yet."

"IMPOSSIBLE!" Kabito shouted, "How could a mere mortal come here without assistance from a Kai?!"

"Instant transmission?" Kakarot asked, looking at Kabito.

Makoto loathed the blank look on his uncle's face.

"What about teaching Goten and Trunks the fusion?!" Makoto demanded, "You're supposed to help them destroy Majin Buu!"

"I ran out of time because I spent all my energy transforming to a Super Saiyan 3," said Kakarot simply.

Makoto gaped at him.

"Super Saiyan 3?" Gohan asked, blinking.

"Sure," said Kakarot, "It took me a long time to perfect, and it takes a lot of energy to perform, but I had to in order to distract Buu so Rilan and Trunks could find the Radar before Buu destroyed West City."

"You mean… you went beyond that… of an ascended Super Saiyan…?" whispered Makoto, feeling numb.

"Yeah," said Kakarot, "But, believe me, it isn't easy, and it's not meant for the Living World. You run out of energy too fast there."

Makoto clenched his fists. There was no way- he had to be lying! If he was telling the truth, that meant he was stronger than… than his parents. A slow anger filled him.

"You mean to tell me that you've had the ability to turn into a Super Saiyan 3 this entire time?" Makoto demanded.

Kakarot looked at him, looking lost as to why Makoto was shaking in rage, "Yeah?"

Makoto grit his teeth, "Tell me then, Kakarot, why didn't you face Majin Buu with my parents?!" he screamed.

Kakarot blanched and bowed his head, "I- I'm sorry, Makoto, I should have been there, but… I was unconscious. Your father bested me in battle, and went to face Majin Buu alone. I'm guessing Katima joined him."

"He didn't best you!" Makoto shouted, shoving Kakarot roughly in the stomache, which was all he could reach, "YOU HELD BACK! You let him win! There's no honor in that!"

Kakarot looked down sadly at Makoto, and it just made the Saiyan child angrier. He didn't want his sympathies, he didn't want his pity! As far as he was concerned it was Kakarot's fault his parents lost their lives. How could he? His mother was Kakarot's sister! And he had let her down! Let her die!

This man was everything that his father told him he was. He wasn't a great warrior, or a true Saiyan! He was a soft thing, that thought he was better than everyone else! He held back to let Vegeta win, because he felt sorry for him!

Tears filled Makoto's eyes, "You're the reason they're dead…" he choked.

"Now there's no help in pointing fingers."

They all froze at the new voice and turned to see a man, a grotesquely old looking man with lavender skin, a tiny white tuft of hair on his head and above his upper lip, and large wrinkly pointed ears. He was short, and scrawny, and wore the same elaborate clothes as the Kais and Gohan.

"Who are you?" Shin asked.

The old man laughed, in a frail tone, wraught with age, "Isn't it obvious? The skin, the hair, the dashing looks? I'm you! O' course fifteen generations older."

"Fifteen generations?!" cried Shin, staring at him.

"There are two Supreme Kais?!" Kabito yelped, looking from him to the older Kai.

"Where did you come from?" Gohan asked.

"Heh, the Z sword, of course," wheezed the Old Kai.

"The sword…?" Makoto wiped his eyes and looked down at the two halves of the blade they had all forgotten about with Kakarot's arrival.

"Indeed, trapped in there for some time, I must thank you, children, quite the strength to break the blade like that," the Old Kai chuckled.

"How did you get trapped in the sword?" asked Kabito.

"A long time ago, there was a creature, terribly strong. Mind you, not as strong as this Majin Buu, but still pretty tough! He knew my grand powers could vanquish him and so rather than face me, he tricked me. I was sealed into the blade, and trapped on the spire. Left quite a cramp!" he began stretching.

"Power?" Marin said, coming to Makoto's side and playing a small hand on his arm, "He doesn't look that strong, Makoto. Is he lying?"

Makoto narrowed his eyes, and muttered, "After the display of the other Kais, I wouldn't be surprised. They're all a bunch of jokes."

"Makoto, show some respect," said Kakarot, smiling again, and looking at Old Kai, "I bet he really is strong, like Master Roshi. Watch."

In his hand, Kakarot formed a small orb and shot it at the Old Kai while he was still stretching and speaking with the other two. It was a slow blast, and it was weak, terribly so. But still, it hit the Old Kai straight in the face when he stood up, and knocked him on his back. The other two Kais yowled in horror and knelt over him, brushing him off, murmuring inqueries of his condition.

Kakarot, Gohan, and Marin all look troubled, but Makoto folded his arms again, scowling. A bunch of weaklings, that all these stupid Kais were. This entire trip had been a waste of time.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Old Kai shouted, sitting up, glaring, "I am one of the most powerful beings in this entire universe, I was sealed away because millions of evil creatures FEARED me! How DARE you show such disrespect!"

"But… sir…" muttered Kakarot, "That was just child's play…"

"My little brother could have handled that," said Gohan.

"Marin probably could have handled that," scoffed Makoto, which made Marin giggle.

"You fools, it wasn't my strength that scared them, it was my menacing capacities that struck terror into their hearts!" Old Kai snapped.

"Capacities?" Kakarot blinked.

"Menacing?" Gohan frowned.

"What do you mean?" Kakarot asked.

Old Kai folded his arms, glaring at him, "I'm not telling. Nope. Give me one good reason why I should."

"Well…" Kakarot sighed, "Hm… wait, I got it! My old master likes girly magazines! We'll get you some!"

"Dad!" Gohan cried, turning red.

Makoto blinked, "Girly magazines?" he looked at Marin, who shrugged.

"Goku, please! How innaporpriate!" Shin gasped.

Makoto furrowed his brow. What was inapropriate about these girly magazines? If they were girly, wouldn't they just have dolls and pink stuff in it? Why would Old Kai want those anyway?

Old Kai scoffed and turned to look out to the horizon, holding a hand over his eyes, "I have no need for such things. With my vision, I can SEE girls playing volley ball on the beach!"

Shin and Kabito both fell over. Makoto blinked, frowning, "Why would you watch girls playing volley ball?"

"Don't worry about it, Makoto," sighed Gohan, pinching the bridge of his nose, looking embarrassed.

"You call yourself a Kai?!" Shin demanded, getting to his feet.

"Hey, Old Kai," said Kakarot, smiling at the man, "What if I got you a date with a real live Earth woman?!"

The Old Kai looked at him, smiling slightly, "Is she a good kisser?"

Makoto stared. Really…? THAT'S what this was about? He wanted… a girl…? Gross! Why would he want such a thing, and why did he watch them on the beach?

"Of course!" said Kakarot.

"Dad!" Gohan growled, pulling his father closer to them, "How are we going to find anyone who would want to kiss that?" he hissed.

"We can do it son! It'll just take some convincing! And… maybe a little sacrifice. Do you think you can get Videl to do it?!" Kakarot asked.

"DAD I AM NOT ASKING MY GIRLFRIEND TO KISS THAT OLD RELIC!" Gohan shouted.

Kakarot sighed and hung his head, "Fine, but who else do… wait!"

He rushed to the Old Kai again, "Okay, I have someone in mind, but she isn't technically an Earth woman."

The Old Kai perked a brow.

"Yeah, but she looks like one," said Kakarot, "Do we got a deal?"

The Old Kai seemed to think, "Hm… fine," he clapped his hands on Kakarot's, "Man, you're good!"

"Great!" said Kakarot, beaming, "So will you tell us what these capacities are?"

"Well, let's just say that if I used my abilities on a kitty cat that went mew, it would go ROAR, get it? ROAR!" Old Kai smirked.

"Wow, really?" asked Gohan, "So… you do like Guru did on Namek, you awaken sleeping power."

"Enhance it, really," said the Old Kai, "But you'll get nothing until I get that kiss."

"That's fine," said Kakarot, grinning, "I'll be right back!" he placed two fingers on his forehead, and then vanished.

Makoto blinked, "Wha- where'd he go?!"

"A woman that isn't from Earth but looks… oh no…" Gohan ran a hand down his face.

"What?" Makoto asked, looking at him.

Gohan sighed heavily, "Let's just say that your dad would be livid."

***

Katima slowly made her way along the path, running a hand through her hair. Allowed to keep her body… and to walk through Other World freely… was it really worth it if she couldn't be with him? Already, her heart ached without his presense, not only here, but in her mind. The Bond… it was gone, broken with their death. And Vegeta… he hadn't been with her when she was passed to Other World.

Part of her wanted to go back and ask to be sent below, if that was where he was.

Vegeta…

With her death, Katima found herself still in the clothing she died in, the outfit she took to the tournament. The blue skirt and tank top, the black leggings, and combat boots. She ran a finger along the scar on her cheek, that had come with her, running it up and along that letter V that Cell carved into her flesh.

If she could find King Kai, she could ask what was going on below. The others, her son… Oh Makoto… A terrible feeling sunk in the pit of her gut at the thought of him, leaving him all alone down there. Was it fair? Was it right? But with Buu dead, he would be safe, and that was all she could ask for now, his safety.

Rilan and Bulma would raise him well, she knew. And he had Gohan, Goten, and Trunks. She hoped that he wasn't too upset, that he could forgive her and Vegeta for what they had to do.

Other spirits whirled around her, some that had their bodies, others that were just wisps. She was slowly finding her way to the buildings where the Grand Kai lived, and she knew she would find King Kai there somewhere.

But before she could even hope to keep going, a familiar voice piped behind her.

"Katima!"

Blinking, she turned and felt the first smile since she died spread across her face.

"Goku!"

Her brother laughed, looking her over with shining eyes, "It's good to see you! Well, sort of," he said, and his eyes flicked up.

Katima knew he was looking at her halo.

"Yes, well," Katima sighed, "We did what we had to do. Are the others… upset?"

Goku's face fell, "Katima, you don't know, do you?" he asked softly.

Katima tilted her head to the side.

Goku sighed and clapped a hand on her shoulder, "Katima, Buu's still alive."

Katima felt horror rock through her. She stared at him.

"No…" she whispered.

"I'm sorry, you gave it everything you had, I know," said Goku sadly, "It blew him into bits, but… he reformed. All the bits went back into one, and he was good as new."

"That… it can't be," Katima clutched her fists, glaring at the ground, "We gave it our all! The Bond- it snapped, it broke at that power- how can he still be alive?!" her vision blurred, "It was for nothing… all in vain… Vegeta…" she choked.

"Katima," Goku pulled her into a hug and she cried on his shoulder.

"It isn't fair," she whispered through her tears, "He finally saw, Goku, he finally realized everything. He was fighting for someone other than himself for the first time in his life. He willingly died to save our son, and the world… and it was for nothing! IT ISN'T FAIR!"

Goku held her tightly, and Katima was thankful for his rock solid presense to keep her together. She felt like if he weren't clutching her, she would shake apart. Her Vegeta… he had waited to die to come alive, and it was for naught. Buu still lived, their son was still in danger.

"But there's hope, Katima," said Goku, letting her go.

Katima wiped her eyes, "Hope?" she whispered, "Goku… if he can just reform… how…"

"Just come with me," said Goku, holding out a hand, "I know that they'll all be really happy to see you."

Katima tried to compose herself, taking in deep breaths. "Where are we going?" she asked.

Goku smiled, "Can't you sense him?"

Katima frowned. She hadn't tried to sense anything since she came up here, what was the point? So now she cast out her senses, and felt familiar signatures. Goku, of course… and… was that … Gohan? And-

Katima clutched Goku's hand, "Take me to him," she demanded.

Goku grinned, placed his fingers to his forehead, and they vanished.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Strangeness and Charm by Florence and the Machine