Status: Next update (at the latest): 11/4

The Capitol's Tribute

The Arrival

“We’re here,” Were the first words that fell from my lips. The train had just appeared out of a tunnel and the Capitol was sitting before us. The gorgeous blue lake surrounded the great city and the glory of the Capitol reflected on its sparkling waters. Towering marble buildings filled the city, giving it the slight impression of heaven on earth in the direct sunlight. It was a beautiful place in all honesty. But it also held some of the wickedest people in the world.

Peeta grunted; his eyes wide as we approached the Capitol. I could see the fear. He had no fond memories of this place. He was sent here to die and somehow survived. It must be strange for him to be here now. I had taken this place’s beauty for granted.

“It’s time to go.” Peeta muttered, releasing my hand reluctantly. I stretched out my cramped appendage. I followed Peeta out of my room and we met up with everyone in the main entrance where we had entered the train. Brant was staring out the square window, mesmerized by the beauty of the Capitol. I had forgotten he’d never seen it before.

“It’s…beautiful.” Brant breathed, touching the window lightly. I smiled, leaning against his shoulder, taking in the scene of the Capitol with my brother.

As we slowed down, hundreds of Capitol citizens came into view. They covered the platform and square like rainbow colored ants. Their eyes trained on us as we lurched to a stop. I could tell Brant was beside himself with nerves. I nudged him lightly, giving him an encouraging smile. This was my territory. I could get us through this part easily.

The doors slid open and I whispered, “Just follow my lead.”

The second we exited the doors, we were bombarded by screams and cheers and chants. The mad crowd rippled with radical colors as they tried to get a better look at the Capitol citizen and her brother tribute. I stepped off the train, careful in my heels, when a tall, slender red head was suddenly latched on top of my body.

“Oceilia?” I breathed as she crushed me in her embrace. She was shaking and when I pushed her back a bit, I realized how much of a wreck she really was. Her makeup was trailing darkly down her large cheeks; large bags—not bothered to be covered by powder—were prominent on her thin face. Her usually pink face was blotchy and red, not unlike mine had been yesterday. “Oceilia.” I tried again only to receive a small whimper from my friend. She wrapped her arms tightly around me and I allowed the hug. “It’s okay, Oceilia. It’s okay.”

“Rixa,” She wailed loudly in my ear. I winced and pulled her back, shaking her lightly.

“Ceil, I need you to get a hold of yourself! I need your help if you want us to have a chance of coming out alive.” I told her sternly, wiping a few tears off her puffy face with my sleeve. She stifled a sob and nodded obediently. “I need you to tell everyone that what happened at the Reaping was all part of my strategy: seem weak and no one will go after me until the end. Do you understand, Ceil?” I had to ask her again before she nodded fervently. I gave her another hug and sent her off to do what she did best: gossip.

I hadn’t realized that the others had been waiting dutifully by my side during my interaction with Oceilia. I smiled apologetically and began the long walk through the crowd to the Training Center. I greeted everyone warmly when all I really wanted to do was scream at them for acting like this was normal. Like cheering me on to my death and the death of innocent children was something to get excited about. I had never hated the Capitol more than I did today.

“Thank you,” I smiled warmly at everyone, letting them kiss my cheeks or grip my hand. They congratulated me and wished me luck. Brant did as I said. He smiled at everyone and let them touch him (though I could see uncomfortable this made him). I was used to the attention, the touching. Brant had just had his first kiss yesterday.

“Don’t forget to sponsor us!” I called out, laughing at their madly grinning faces. I complimented them and shook their hands and it felt like we would never reach the Training Center when I saw him. With his sea green eyes downcast and his bronze colored hair disheveled, he stood only a few feet from where I’d seen him last. “Finn…” I muttered before running full speed ahead toward Finnick Odair.

He caught me easily, unwavering, as if I had pulled him in lightly instead of thrusting my body at him. Finnick’s strong grasp held around me tightly, no sign of letting me go anytime soon. The screams renewed when the women realized Finnick Odair was in their presence. The big charming ladies man: Finnick Odair. I could image how scandalous this looked. The Capitol’s favorite victor and citizen, together, embracing warmly. The rumors would spread like wild fire.

Finnick pulled apart from me reluctantly as the cries got more excessive. He waved to his adoring fans and I did the same. He gave them his famous cocky grin and took my hand in his. I smiled like I was the luckiest girl in the world. I was holding Finnick’s hand and going to the arena for the ultimate entertainment gig. Life couldn’t be sweeter for me according to the Capitol.

I felt Finnick dragging me through the crowd, his hand never leaving mine. With last air kisses and thanks, he pulled me through the stain glass windows and embraced me even tighter. I caught a glimpse of his face in the reflected of the glass and it was unsettling to see a victor of the Games so terrified.

“Finn,” I tried again.

“Rixa,” He whispered, “Rixa, I’m so sorry.” I just let him hold me, glad that I still had Finnick to count on. He was the only one of my party who didn’t have any say over my plan with Brant. He had no control of my life. Finnick had his own tributes to worry about. “Rixa, I—”

“Don’t.” I said suddenly, a lump rising rapidly in my throat. I wouldn’t cry now, not when the world was watching. Not in front of Finnick when he was so fearful of my life.

We didn’t have much time for more conversation because the rest of my party burst through the door. Peeta and Brant eyed Finnick dangerously as if he was some sort of threat.

“Peeta, Katniss, Brant,” I broke away from Finnick to introduce them, “This is my friend, Finnick.” I didn’t need to introduce him to Haymitch. They were both mentors, they had known each other since Finnick’s first mentored Games.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Brant said, shaking Finnick’s hand a little harder than necessary. “I hope you’re treating my sister the way she deserves to be treated.”

“Like the whore that she is?” Finnick commented with such a straight face that only Haymitch and I burst out laughing. Katniss looked a little weary of him but the other two were infuriated by this comment.

“What did you just say to her?” Peeta growled, getting in Finnick’s face with Brant. Finnick tried to suppress a grin.

“So, this is the infamous Peeta Mellark?” Finnick grinned politely (though I could practically cut the tension between them all with a knife).

“Yes, this is Peeta.” I sighed, standing in between them before they did something stupid. “Now that you’ve all made this as awkward as possible, we need to get you pretty.” I told Brant.

Brant looked bewildered and offended, “I’m a beautiful man, Rix. I don’t need makeup and hair dye.” I snorted and told Peeta to send him off to Portia. Peeta seemed hesitant to leave me alone with Finnick.

“Let’s go get me something to drink, sweetheart.” Haymitch decided loudly to Katniss. She nodded immediately, knowing she was intruding on something between Finnick and me.

“Cinna will be waiting for you in the dressing area. It’s on the third sublevel.” Katniss alerted me. I nodded thankfully as her and my mentor disappeared, dragging Peeta and Brant along with them.

I was suddenly wishing they hadn’t left. I didn’t trust myself not to break down in front of Finnick. He wouldn’t judge me; he had seen me at some of my toughest moments. But I had made that stupid promise to myself and couldn’t give up now.

“You shouldn’t say things like that to Brant. Or Peeta. They’re delicate.” I muttered, crossing my arms.

“Peeta can kiss my—”

“Finn!”

“Whatever. That little heartbreaker shouldn’t be looking at you like he was. Mentally undressing my best friend. It’s disgusting.” Finnick spat angrily.

“Well, think about Brant, then.” I sighed, rubbing my arm. “He’s sensitive as it is with me dying and all.”

Finnick’s jaw clenched on his nicely defined face, “Don’t talk like that, Rix.”

“What? Tell you how it is?” I said truthfully, “You’re a victor. Tell me what chance a spoiled, untrained child from an outer district has at winning the title?”

The expression on his face was pained because he knew it was true. “Stranger things have happened.”

“Like a Capitol citizen being Reaped?” I asked, glancing up at him. He almost laughed until he remembered this was my life we were making a mockery of.

“We’ll find a way. I’ve got two careers on my hands this year. You and Brant ally with them and you’ll have as good a shot as any of the other careers.” He said defiantly, obviously having planned this beforehand.

“And how long until they turn on us?” I asked with a level head. “Brant and I are on our own, Finn. The careers would turn on us the second we lose our usefulness or the pool of tributes begins to dry.”

“Well, Rixa,” Finnick shouted angrily, “I guess you’re on your own! It was nice to know you!”

I flinched, the ferocity radiated off his body. “You know as well as I do that I have about as much chance of surviving as that boy from seven.”

“I wouldn’t count him out just yet.” Finnick commented, refusing to look at me. “If you believed in yourself and worked with my tributes you’d stand a chance.”

“Yeah, until they stabbed me in the back. Literally.” I told him, annoyed at his stubbornness. “I don’t want to fight with you, Finn.”

He sighed deeply, looking twenty years older when he looked back at me with his green eyes, swimming with emotion. “Well, I don’t want to lose you, Rix. I guess we’re both shit out of luck.”

A witty retort stuck to the tip of my tongue as crazed fans burst their way through the Training Center. Finnick grabbed my hand again and we took off towards the elevators. Inside the square room, he pressed the white button that read S3, lighting it up red. Finnick grabbed my face lightly and kissed me on the forehead like he had only three nights ago.

I placed my hands on his wrists, keeping his cool hands on my warm face. I opened my eyes as he slipped away and the steel elevator doors clanged shut, Finnick disappearing from my view.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meow. Enjoy. (:

I'm going to see the Hunger Games again today. OEMGEE. My love for HG will only become stronger and I'll probably type up like twelve chapters today! haha (:

Who else wants Finnick Odair to be cast? I've always pictured Grant Gustin from Glee for some reason. And then, on some Hunger Games site with some poll to see who should play Finnick, Grant was a contender! I think it's fate...