‹ Prequel: Over Christmas Break
Sequel: Hope For Moving On
Status: complete

Over Spring Break

Gordie Howe Hat Trick

It was just short of game time when we finished so we stopped to get some food before heading to the seats. We watched as the teams were announced and started to slowly appear on the ice. We screamed extra loud for Jonathan and David, making sure to wave my sign when David came out. David looked in our direction to find the sign front and center. He winked and started his warm up routine.

He went back to the bench and awaited his first shift. I had a hard time watching the game instead of trying to look directly into the eyes of David, who was trying to find mine but wasn’t having as much luck as I was, since he was looking through hundreds when I pinpointed him right off.

When he took his first shift, he was out there with his brother and Sharp and the defense team of Keith and Seabrook. The line was stacked. Vancouver couldn’t quite handle the Hawks line. Jenny and I watched intently as David swiped the puck away from an unexpecting Canuck and got a breakaway. It was Henrik Sedin who cross-checked him, sending him into Luongo, without the puck.

A penalty shot was called. Coach Quenneville called for David to come to the bench as the fans around me got to their feet. I read Q’s lips as he told David that he had to use his advantage of being a rookie to score. Do the unexpected. He was dismissed and skated to the referees who had to explain the rules as they were bound to by the bylaws of the NHL. Soon enough, David was whisking the puck up and charging the net where Luongo was waiting, ready. David faked once and deked the next second to wrist shot it past the goalie and into the back of the net. I jumped up and screamed for my somebody. He looked in my direction and I blew him a kiss. He smiled and headed to the bench.

His goal remained the only one of the period. In the second, he got in his very first fight since peewee hockey. He went up against Kevin Bieksa and won, probably because I was there. In the third, he assisted his brother’s goal and got the Gordie Howe hat trick, being the first one since Howe himself for the Blackhawks to ever achieve that honor.

After the game ended at the final score of 2-0, Jenny and I headed to the locker room hallway where Jimbo, the head security guy, was guarding the door to the home locker room.

“JIMBO!” I kind of shouted. He raised his hand and we high fived each other.

“How are you, Miss Harper? Jon said you were coming with a friend. But my, aren’t you two spiffy.”

“I’ve been better, Jimbo. Are they decent?”

“Not quite, I’ll go see how long and man the door for me while I’m gone,” he winked and left Jenny and I to watch the door. Other families started to arrive in the hall, including Mr. and Mrs. Toews.

“Harper, dear, I didn’t know you were coming tonight?” Mrs. Toews commented.

“I decided last minute, Mrs. Toews. I knew David would want me here, no matter our last conversation.”

“Of course. Where’s the security man?”

“Jim’s in the locker room,” and he exited just a second later to let us in. I looked first for Jon and congratulated him on his goal as well as thanked him for the amazing tickets. “Jenny, this is Jonathan. Jonathan, this is my cousin, Jenny.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Jon kissed her hand. He apparently saw something in Jenny and I would never be able to guess what it was. David came over to us and asked if he and I could talk. I walked with him away from the rest of the team to the hall that led to the showers.

“I didn’t think you’d be here, but I saw your sign and I knew you came anyways. Did you read my letter?”

“Of course I read it, David. Do you think that I would still be here if I hadn’t read that letter?”

“I don’t know, I just wanted to know for sure.”

“And Lily’s officially out of your life? You won’t be calling her drunk anymore?”

“I stopped drinking after games, no matter if we win or lose. So, no, I won’t drunk dial her or anyone else.”

“Good, I’m glad. So, what do we do now?”

“I’d like to kiss you if that’s okay?” I just nodded as he leaned in to kiss me and pick me up to twirl me around in his arms. Never breaking the kiss, we heard applause erupt around us. I broke us apart to see that David had moved us into the doorway between the hall and the locker room.

“About time,” I heard Jon yell from across the room. I have a feeling one of us would’ve flipped him off had there not been press and children in the room. He took my hand and we went further down the hall, away from the doorways to a more private spot.

“So, where do we stand?” he wanted to know too.

“I’m pregnant.” I just blurted it right out. His face made a confused expression and than broke out into a grin. He kissed me and ran his hand under my jersey to find my slight baby bump. We both ended the kiss with faces full of joy.

“That’s amazing, right? I mean, are you okay with becoming a Mom?”

“I don’t have a choice, do I?” I asked with a giggle and a certain light in my eyes.

“No, but I am glad I get to be there for you and this baby. God, I’m going to be a Dad.” He smiled and quickly pecked my lips. “And I’ll be there for you as much as I can around hockey.”

“Good, I’m going to need the help,” I pulled him in for a little longer of a kiss in the nick of time to be interrupted by Jon.

“Sorry to interrupt, but the press wants to talk to you, Dave.” He kissed me and ran back to the main locker room. “So, did I hear I’m going to be an uncle?” he commented as the two of us slowly went the way David had just gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
No long author's note here. Just four more comments for the next chapter!! Thanks for all the comments already!