‹ Prequel: Like Fire & Gasoline

Playing With Fire

Cosmic Intervention

"Here comes the bride, all dressed in... Well, you're wearing black right now so this just isn't gonna fly," Olivia sighed with a flip of her long raven locks, looking Bridgette up and down. Bridgette stopped in the middle of her step; she had barely made it through Olivia's front door. She raised her eyebrows at her best friend before continuing over to the table with an armful of wedding magazines.

"I'm so sorry my choice of everyday clothing conflicts with your song choice," Bridgette said with a roll of her eyes. "A song you've been singing every single time I've walked into the room since I got back to California, I might add."

"What's your point?" Olivia grinned, taking some of the glossy pages from Bridgette, spreading them out on the mahogany table.

"Learn a new tune, Liv."

"But Bee," Olivia whined. She jutted out her shiny bottom lip and attempted her best puppy eyes. Bridgette ignored it, flipping through the pages on bridal gowns.

"I've got enough to worry about without your constant reminders."

"Is walking down the aisle really so bad it can be considered a constant worry? I mean, I know Reece can be overly peppy sometimes, but I mean really-"

"Ha ha," Bridgette interrupted dryly. "I was more so referring to the fact I'm terrified I'm going to trip on my way to the alter. In front of my family. And his family. And basically half of California."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous," Olivia countered, putting her hand on Bridgette's shoulder. "I mean, between his company and yours, not to mention all of your parents' friends and colleagues, it's half of California and a third of NYC."

Bridgette groaned, hitting her head against the table. Olivia attempted to hold back her giggles by burying her nose in an article about centerpieces. It didn't work though, and Bridgette kicked her under the table.

"Thanks for pointing that one out. God, why couldn't we just elope back in Manhattan and save the stress?" she muttered against the lace place mat.

"Because you two crazy kids are so beautiful and in love, you just have to show it off. Plus, you're gonna introduce your amazing but still single best friend to some of Reece's hot, successful, sweet friends," she sang jokingly.

Even Bridgette had to chuckle. "Oh, of course. How could I ever forget?"

"Happens to the best of us," Olivia shrugged with a grin. "“So, speaking of Reece's friends, who’s gonna be walking me down the aisle?”

Olivia waggled her eyebrows at the top of Bridgette's head. Bridgette bit her lip, attempting to bury her head in the table. Naturally, the laws of physics just had to make that impossible.

“Well, we were speaking of worries,” she mumbled under her breath before sitting up straight and clearing her throat. “Actually, It’s James.”

Olivia blinked a few times, her jaw gaping. Bridgette pursed her lips, preparing for the attack of questions. She tried her best to look casual about it, but she highly doubted it was working.

“James Maslow? TV Star-slash-actor that broke your heart into a zillion tiny pieces James?” Olivia practically shouted.

Bridgette flinched and picked at her pastel nail polish. "That's one way to remember him, I suppose."

“James Maslow?" Olivia repeated. Bridgette just nodded helplessly. "He’s the best man?”

"I couldn't make this one up if I tried," she replied.

"Oh, hell no. Bridgette, this is insane!"

"C'mon Liv, you're being a bit dramatic."

"Are you kidding me? Sweetheart, you cannot do this."

"Do what?"

"Get married to Reece while James, your first love, is the best man. If you ask me, he shouldn't be anywhere near the chapel. I mean, have you never seen that episode of Friends where Ross is getting married to Emily? Let me give you the summary; it didn't end well for anyone."

Bridgette ran her hand through her hair, not quite sure how to react. Olivia was pacing the floors, muttering profanities to herself, trying to get this straight in her mind.

"Look, Reece doesn't even know James and I have a history. I mean, he knows I dated someone in college and it was serious, but he didn't know it was James. And I didn't know his childhood friend was James, either. By the look of things, James was just as shocked as I was. But it's the way things are. Reece wants his best friend to be his best man, and who am I to deny him that?"

"You're blind woman!" Olivia exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

"I'm blind?" Bridgette echoed slowly.

"This is an awful idea, mark my words. It's the universe's way of saying something, I'm just not sure of exactly what yet."

"Maybe it's the universe's way of giving us some closure since things ended so crappy between us. Maybe it's the universe's way of showing me that no amount of trouble or problems can come between Reece and me."

"Maybe. Or maybe it's just a bad idea."

"Liv, can't you just push aside your pessimism for once and be an optimistic Maid of Honor who doesn't point out all the possible cracks in the wedding?" Bridgette begged exasperatedly.

"Okay, fine. I just want to make sure you're happy and ready for this."

"I am."

"Well then I swear on this issue of Bridal Monthly that I will stop the forces of hell from sabotaging this wedding, and I'll be damned if you aren't the happiest bride-to-be in history," Olivia declared with one hand on her heart and the other on a fluffy princess Vera Wang gown.

"Thank you," Bridgette whispered with a smile.

"Anything for you, Bridge. I mean, they don't put honor in my title for nothing."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, because of the crash, I lost my latest updates on everything. I also lost all of of the comments. Working on getting it back up right now, I'm sorry guys. <3

xxxo, Sara