Molly Was a Good Girl

Number 8

We were let inside by a scruffy boy of about 17. He looked like he had recently been in a horrible fight with a Rottweiler- his eyes were swollen and red, and there was a huge gash down his face that could have only been caused by razor-sharp teeth. Dury high-fived him and muttered something about me being his sister, and to look out for me if possible. I didn’t know whether to feel safe or not with this massive brute of a guy “looking out for me”.

We made our way down a hall and through a door. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and realised just how much I loved wearing these clothes. They were Dury. They were Me.

Dury turned around with that glint in his eyes again, his hand on a doorknob.
“Welcome to my heaven...” He sighed, and swung open the door.
What I saw was a dingy, hardly lit room packed with about 200 sweaty people. I could hear the faint sounds of a CD playing in the background, pumping out the gravelly noise of a band that There was a bar to our right, with a large bald man serving everybody everything. I saw very little money changing hands, and a lot of alcohol being passed to people as young as 13. I was shocked, of course, but I didn’t really expect much else.

All the way across the room, through the slight haze of smoke and sweat, I could see a band starting to set up their instruments. The five boys were shouting at each other, but I couldn’t work out what they were saying because of the huge amount of noise coming from the hoard of people filling the space. They completely captivated me. The pantomime of the drummer running around, getting a drum out of a case, dropping it, running after it, tripping over the leads, the guitarist shouting and trying to find a string, the drummer falling backwards into the bassist, the bassist falling onto the amp... they seemed so carefree, young and happy, doing what they loved with people they loved. I wanted so badly to be part of that.

Dury took my hand in his and led me towards a group of about ten people. They were introduced to me one by one, each of them nodding and raising their drinks to me. I had never been in this kind of situation before so I didn’t know the proper etiquette- somehow I thought that curtseying and saying “It’s an absolute pleasure to meet you, Mr Scab,” was a bit out of the question. I tried very hard to remember everybody’s names as they were introduced to me, but I could only really remember two or three- Scab was one of them. He was pretty remarkable really. He was absolutely huge- he could easily have beaten any person in the entire room to a pulp. Dury’s statement of “Scab will look after you,” was an understatement to the enth degree. I felt safe with Scab around. There was also Faye, who seemed to take a shine to me... that was also an understatement. When she first saw me she squealed “ohhh my god! You’re so beautiful!” and launched herself at me, crushing me in a hug so powerful I almost suffocated! She took me under her wing and showed me everything I needed to know that night. That night was the one that changed everything.