‹ Prequel: Just One Cup
Status: Completed!

My Own Glory

Practice

Friday at school was as normal as it usually is. Having a home game that night didn't make it any different. When she arrived at school, Maddi's locker was decked out in balloons and pictures of her playing hockey, cheering her on for the game that night. There was even a place for people to wish her luck.

Tina, Mary, and Sarah were cheerleaders. Since football season was over with, hockey was the next best thing. They had convinced the cheer squad to come to the games. They even went to the extreme as to make tee shirts for each girl representing a guy on the team. The hockey team was a big deal for the school. It was one of the only teams in the school that was successful more than once every ten years.

The students were dressed in their school colors ready for the game hours in advance. Even the teachers were ready, wishing good luck to the players as they left class.

By the time the last bell rang, the team made its way to the gym for a team meeting. The coach sat everyone down, replaying the opponents past games pointing out their goods and bads, "We need to execute. We've been good getting the puck on net but we need to get it in the back of the net more. We're gonna start with Mark, Maddi, and Jeremy's line. Dustin and Alex on the back line with Jamie in net. Our place in the standings is nothing. We need to play like this is our last. We need intensity. Let's go out there and play hockey like we know we can."

When the coach closed it out, the team changed and headed to the gym for a light workout. Jeremy and Maddi always teamed up, working out side by side everyday to the point it became a superstition never to be broken.

"Mads, you need to watch out for Stevens. After last game he'll be out for blood." Jeremy said as they pedaled on the stationary bikes.

"Aw Stevens is nothing but a big teddy bear."

"Yeah that wants to rip you apart piece by piece."

"I got it Jeremy. He's not that fast to catch me. I just need to keep my head up. If it gets too bad I'll kick his ass."

"Are you talking about Stevens? Mads, that guy could eat you for breakfast."

"Thanks Mark. I appreciate the faith."

"Don't worry. We've got your back."

The guys weren't kidding when they said Stevens was seeing red.

The arena was filled with the bright school colors. Only a splatter of the visiting fans were in the stands. The starters circled the ice as they waited for the anthems to begin, "I've been waiting for this since last game." Stevens said having to almost bend down to taunt Maddi.

"I've missed you too Stevens."

"Oh toots, the ice girls need to get off the ice. It's time for the men to play."

"Funny but all I see are little boys."

The announcer stopped Stevens from retaliating but that didn't stop him from shaking his hand in front of his crotch. Oh please...

The giant defenseman went to his line while Maddi stood beside Jeremy and Mark. The game started once the senior soprano finished a quick anthem.

The game was fast and furious. Both teams had their chances but the goaltending was strong. Neither wanted to be a let down. The first two periods flew by at an even 0-0. Stevens hadn't gotten a opportunity to get at Maddi but with one period left, he still had a chance.

They were half way through the third period when Maddi picked up a turn over and skated up the ice, two-on-one with Jeremy. Stevens was the lone defenseman when Maddi passed it to Jeremy and skated around the 6'7" 230lb man to pick up the pass and hit it past the goalie.

The players celebrated, pumping fists with those on the bench. Maddi made sure to send a big smile to Stevens. His drowned out words meant nothing to Maddi as she received pats on the back.

"Nows he's seriously going to kill you." Mark warned noting the evil eye Stevens was sending Maddi's way.

"I'm not worried."

But if Maddi wasn't nervous before she should be now because as soon as she went on for her next shift, she was the only thing in Stevens line of vision. He did everything he could to smash the girl into the wall or to knock her with his stick. The only thing Maddi had going for her was her speed, and Jeremy.

Jeremy wouldn't let Stevens anywhere near Maddi knowing full well what the defenseman was planning. If there was a chance for Stevens to check Maddi, Jeremy would be there to stop him.

At the five minute mark, Stevens found his window of opportunity to take revenge on the female forward. Maddi was retrieving the puck down center ice when Stevens took charge. Jeremy could read Stevens clear as day and charged towards him. But before he could reach the defenseman, the three of them collided, Maddi sandwiched in the middle. They fell to the ice in a heap, the players on the ice skating over to recover their fallen teammate.

The refs pulled the hockey players off one another to get to the bottom where Maddi was underneath both Stevens and Jeremy. The linesmen had a hold of the boys who were exchanging not-so nice words to one another keeping them from tearing each other apart. The ref kneeled beside Maddi, waving over the athletic trainer.

The hit had Maddi's head throbbing but the pain in her arm came from where a blade cut her arm, just missing her pads. The trainer helped Maddi up, a towel wrapped around her arm and brought her to the locker room to get checked and cleaned up.

Just as Maddi stepped off the ice Jeremy turned to Stevens where he stood laughing, "You pussy! Think it's funny to hurt someone? You're just a fucking pussy!" Jeremy said to Stevens.

"Why don't you tell your girlfriend to go back to the bedroom where she belongs, the slut. I bet she's a good fuck, eh? I wouldn't mind fucking that sweet pus--" That was enough for Jeremy to lunge at Stevens, a man much larger than he, but Jeremy was a captain and to have a fellow teammate and friend talked of in such a way wasn't going to fly.

No matter how hard the refs tried to pull the boys away from each other, the more motivation raged as Jeremy and Stevens exchanged several punches. Stevens knocked off Jeremy's helmet giving him someplace to aim his throws.

Teammates helped pull away the captain and defenseman and the refs threw them out of the game. As Maddi was coming back to join her teammates on the ice, Jeremy passed by fumed and battered, "What happened to him?"

---

The team had come out victorious with Maddi's lone goal. The wound on her arm was nothing more than a scratch. It had broken the skin enough to bleed but not enough for stitches. The trainer rewrapped her arm with a clean bandage before she was allowed to leave. Jeremy was her only ride and he was currently missing, "Have you seen Jeremy?" she asked Mark and a few of the other guys.

"Coach brought him to his office. I reckon it's about the fight." Mark answered.

"Fight? What fight?"

"Right after they got you off the ice, Jeremy said something to Stevens who said something back and well...they fought. I've never seen Jerms get so mad. He never fights."

That's what confused Maddi most. Whatever Stevens said back must of struck a nerve. Jeremy was always good at staying calm. He was usually the one talking a teammate down before he got too hot. Fighting wasn't Jeremy, so why now?

Maddi waited in the locker room, texting Danni the results of her game, as she waited for Jeremy to return. His bags were still in his locker meaning he hadn't changed yet out of his gear. Danni replied saying the Pens game was heading into overtime and they'd be late getting home. Sidney was having a great game and the press would be all over him after.

The locker room door swung open as Jeremy stormed through it. He was red faced as he took his pads off, throwing them into his locker. Maddi sat wide eyed, afraid to make a sound and have Jeremy's uncommon rage turned on her. So she waited till he was down to his under armour, "Jeremy?" The captain jumped hearing his name.

"Maddi, what are you doing here?" He asked before stripping the top part of his under armour off. Maddi stammered as the sight of his defined chest filled her view.

"You-you're my ride home."

"Oh my god, I'm sorry. I forgot." Jeremy replied, sitting down with a huff. He ran his hand through his helmet hair stressed and tired. Maddi got up and slowly sat down beside him. Not exactly sure what her next move was suppose to be, she carefully put her hand on his shoulder.

"What happened?" Maddi questioned just above a whisper.

Jeremy sighed, "It's nothing. Just got the riot act from my dad."

"Is it about that fight you got in with Stevens? Why did you fight? You don't fight. You never fight! You're the most patient guy I know and you never lose it. Stevens must of said something to tick you off. What did he say so I know not to say it--"

"Maddi, stop. It's not a big deal." Jeremy told her standing up. His thumbs hooked onto his waistband but he stopped, "Um, I need to change."

"Oh right. I'l go stand over....there." Maddi went back to her locker, messing with her phone in hopes that she won't turn around to look at him. But like every human being, movement was caught in the corner of her eye and she happened to look over her shoulder in time to see Jeremy fixing his boxer briefs. Oh hot damn.

Maddi snapped her head back to her phone in front of her before she got caught sneaking a peek, "So, um, what did Stevens say to piss you off?"

"Uh, he just said something inappropriate."

"About what?"

"....nothing he was just being a dick."

"Come on, what did he say? It must of been something."

"He...he said something about...you." Maddi paused looking up from her phone.

"About me? What about me?"

"Nothing, he said something that pissed me off and I punched him."

"He got you pretty good." Maddi commented, the darkening around his eye worse now then before.

Jeremy scoffed, "You should see him."

"But come on what did he say? God I hope we see them in playoffs. I'm gonna rip him a new one."

"Maddi," She felt Jeremy's hand on her shoulder causing her to turn and face him, "Forget him. He's an ass and I don't want you getting distracted with revenge. If we see them in playoffs, you just make sure we win." Maddi nodded. Jeremy went back to his locker to finish putting his stuff away.

"Why, why did you get mad at him for saying something about me? Guys say all kinds of shit to me."

"He was out of line. And you're my teammate. I would of done it for anyone." Maddi felt her shoulders slump. Did she really think she was something special to him? Of course he's going to stick up for his teammate. She was no different from any of the guys on the team and she certainly didn't want to be treated differently.

"I can fight my own battles. Just tell me what he said."

"No Maddi." Jeremy shoved his jersey in his bag with annoyance.

"You don't have to protect me."

"I'm not. I'm--"

"I can take care of myself. I've been doing it for four years."

"I know--"

"Then tell me what he said!" Spun on her heels, Maddi wasn't expecting to feel a pair of lips on hers. Her eyes closed in reaction as she welcomed this feeling.

They were better than what she imagined. Better than she dreamed of every time she nodded off in class thinking about him. His lips weren't soft like she thought, but neither were hers since both came off the ice not too long ago. But they were perfect nonetheless.

At a loss of air, she pulled away looking up into Jeremy's eyes, "Wow." Was all that came out.

Jeremy grinned, "Sorry."

"No, no it's fine I just...wasn't expecting that."

"Do you mind if I do it again?" Maddi controlled her squeal and nodded.

The car ride back to Maddi's, Jeremy explained what actually went down after she left the ice. He explained that he had feelings for her freshmen year but didn't think she liked him back, and for the next three and a half years, he figured Maddi just wanted to be friends with him. But he never lost feelings for her, "They actually got worse as time went on. We didn't hang out much beyond school and hockey and when you invited me to that game and then told me your secret, I guess it made sense why we didn't just hang out. I'm glad you told me though, I feel closer to you."

"I wanted to tell you a long time ago but it just freaked me out. But I always liked you, god my friends wouldn't leave me alone when I told them. They even threatened to threaten you to ask me out."

"Well I'm glad I beat them to it."

Jeremy pulled into the drive way, turning the car off. He got out and jogged to the passenger side, getting the door for Maddi. He even carried her hockey bag to the front door. The light in the kitchen was on meaning everyone was home and most likely asleep.

"Thanks for bringing me home--"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Jeremy blurted out. That caught Maddi off guard just as much as the kiss did, "Oh wow that was really weird. I'm sorry I just kinda blurted that out."

"No it's fine. I'd...I'd love too."

"Really?"

"No what are you crazy?" Maddi joked, wrapping her arms around his waist. She loved this new found feeling of his arms around her keeping her close. Looking up at him, he leaned down to plant a kiss on her lips.

"I'll see you at practice tomorrow?" She asked, remembering that Jeremy was to join her and Sid with the Pens.

"I completely forgot about that."

"Well I'm glad I reminded you. You parents are welcome to join. When you get there, just text me so I can let you guys in. Be there at 9:00 sharp. Practice starts at 10:00, don't be late."

"Yes coach." Standing on her toes, she kissed him good night and waved him off.

After dropping her bag off in the basement, Maddi headed to her room where she did a happy dance. She couldn't believe that seriously just happened. She could still feel his lips on her, something that would never get old. Maddi wanted to open the window and announce to the world that she was Jeremy James' girlfriend. But she stuck with texting her friends the good news, "I just got my first kiss."

1 New Message: Tina
THANK YOU BABY JESUS!!!! THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!

1 New Message: Mary
I'll call the papers

1 New Message: Sarah
You two owe me $5!

---

Saturday morning, Maddi got up early to rewatch the game and take notes. She had just gotten to the moment right before the giant collision when Sidney came down ready for practice, "How'd your game go last night?" He asked making a bowl of cereal for himself and taking a seat beside Maddi at the counter.

"We won. I got hit." She told him, holding her bandaged arm up.

"What happened?"

"Just watch." Just as she said that, the hit by Stevens played on the small TV in the kitchen. From a different view the hit looked painful; a small girl smushed between two big guys, then practically dog-piled by the two teams.

"Are you okay? That hit look bad."

"I'm fine. Besides it's just a scratch, the doctor said I was fine. Just a little headache aspirin couldn't fix."

"How about today? Did you wake up with a headache?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Well, I want Doc to take a look at you before practice." Maddi nodded. Sidney was only looking out of her. The last thing either of them wanted was something seriously wrong with her. Sidney had experience his own head pains that didn't seem as big of a deal but were worse than they thought. Thankfully, he easily recovered from them and could continue to play, even winning a Cup that year.

"Good morning you two oh my god what happened to your arm?" Danni said, she and the boys joining them in the kitchen looking wide awake.

"I got scratched in the game. Nothing to worry about." Maddi's aunt gave her a look but dropped it.

"Is Jeremy still going to practice?"

"Yeah, he and his family are meeting us at the arena."

"We should get going." Sidney put his bowl away and kissed his wife and three sons goodbye.

Sid and Maddi made it to the arena in good time for a Saturday morning and walked to the locker room. Maddi was greeted excitedly when she walked through the double doors by the guys. It had been a while since she last practiced with the team seeing as they usually had games on Saturday.

Since Coach Dan allowed Maddi to join the boys in practice, the boys made sure she had a stall set up for just for her. They even gave her a name tag, "How'd your game go?" Kris asked sitting next to Maddi.

"We won. I had the only goal."

"You learned from the best."

"Coming for the defenseman." Jordan commented.

"Maddi, go find Doc." Sidney instructed and she nodded.

"What happened?" Kris asked once Maddi left the room.

"She got hit last night and I want to make sure she's 100% okay. Plus...she's got a friend joining practice." This little piece of information caught the attention of everyone in the room.

"A friend? Who?"

"Jeremy."

"Is that the kid she brought to the game? This will be the best practice ever!" Jordan cheered, his, and every player, evilness coming to life.

When Doc cleared Maddi of any serious injury, she made her way back to the locker room. On her way her phone went off, "Hey, we're just outside." Jeremy said when she answered.

"Cool, I'll be right there."

Maddi met Jeremy and his family outside the players entrance, "They're with me George." She told the security guard.

"It's nice to see you Maddi. How you feelin'?" Mr. James asked as Maddi led them to the locker room area.

"I'm good," Maddi smirked, the first thought in her mind was the kiss she shared with Jeremy only hours before, not the hits.

"Is you're Aunt here?" Mrs. James questioned. Maddi had only met Mrs. James in hockey settings. She was at every game, her sons picture pinned to her team sweatshirt. She was small in comparison to Mr. James and his son but Jeremy's nice personality reflected his mothers.

"Not yet. She should be on her way though." Mrs. James nodded, "Jeremy and I need to get dressed. The arena's open so you can sit anywhere." Maddi informed the James' who smiled and went on their way. "You ready?" She asked Jeremy who seemed to tense when they faced the double doors leading to the sanctuary of the CONSOL Energy Center.

Pushing through the doors, Jeremy took in the Pittsburgh Penguins team, some dressed and others just starting, all looked at the door as Maddi led him to his seat beside her on the end.

"Ah Maddi's friend!" Jordan 'welcomed' standing in front of the young hockey players.

"He's gotta name Gronk."

"Yeah, well I forgot it. It's nice you're here Maddi's friend. We enjoy having newbies join us on the ice." The high school captain wasn't positive if Jordan Staal's comment was good or bad, "This will be fun." Yup, this is bad.

The tall blonde returned to his stall, some of the players nearby chuckling from the teasing, "Don't worry about him. He's harmless." Maddi told her friend.

Everyone dressed for practice and filed out to the ice, skating a couple laps to warm up. Maddi stayed at Jeremy's side explaining what was going to happen.

The elder players kept their distance, observing the high schoolers as they chatted among themselves, "Just say the word and his bag can disappear." Jordan said to Sidney whose eyes never left his niece and her friend.

"I say we do a shootout challenge. That kids probably shakin' at the knees he'll be too nervous to do good." Marc Andre said.

"Leave him be, boys. It is still practice. Plus his parents are here." Sid informed. As much as the Captain wanted to play a little joke on the senior, Jeremy was here to improve.

Once practice officially began Coach Dan included Jeremy and Maddi in the drills, teaming them up with an assistant coach so the Pens could work in their own lines. Maddi was use to the drills, having done them many times before. She helped explain them to Jeremy if he got confused but Jeremy knew what he was doing. He was a quick learner and took every advice given to him by fellow players and coaches in stride.

The Penguins were shocked when they saw the talent Jeremy had. Only a few had been to Maddi's high school games but they focused on their adopted niece, not the captain, "He's pretty good." James Neal stated, his teammates nodding as they watched Jeremy and Maddi pass back and forth towards the net, the puck hitting the back of the net.

---

In the stands, Mr. and Mrs. James sat and watched their son skate with the big boys. It was certainly a dream to see their little boy practicing with an NHL team, even if it was for a few hours, "He's very talented." Danni said sitting beside Mrs. James, handing her and her husband a Tim Horton's coffee. The three Crosby sons on her other side munching on goodies.

"We can't thank you enough for letting him do this."

"Don't thank me. It was Sidney's idea." Mrs. James smiled.

The James' never said anything to Danni about her little secret. Jeremy had explained as best as he could the night before when he finally told them about joining in on the Pens practice. To say they were ecstatic was an understatement. Mr. James had a notepad at the ready for new ideas for his team.

"Maddi usually stays for extra help. I'm sure Jeremy will too so if you'd like you're welcome to come over and wait. We'd love to have you stay for lunch." Danni invited.

"Oh we'd love too! Only if you let me help you. You and your family have done so much for us."

"Would it be possible if I stay with Jeremy?" Mr. James asked.

"I'm sure it'll be alright." Danni could see the excitement in Mr. James face as he sat up in his seat and jotted down more notes.

By the end of the practice, Danni had gotten to know Jeremy's parents better, while Maddi's "uncles" came to the conclusion that Jeremy was a talented player seeing as he was the first to score on Flower in the shootout game.

Danni escorted the James' back towards the locker room where Coach Dan, Sidney, Maddi, and Jeremy waited. Sidney kissed his wife in greeting while his sons clung to his legs, Mrs. James kissed her sons sweaty cheek, and Mr. James shook Dan's hand, "Thank you for letting Jeremy join you."

"Not a problem. Sid said he has a lot of talent, and he does. We're happy to help." Dan told the high school captains parents.

"We're about to go watch last nights game then maybe work one-on-one with Maddi and Jeremy. You're welcome to join, Mr. James." Sidney said. Mr. James felt like a little kid in a candy store.

Mr. James was able to get his skates and stick from his car before the small group headed to a conference room to watch the high school game. Mrs. James rode with Danni and her boys back to the house where they would have some women bonding time.

Usually the day after a game, Mr. James would sit Jeremy down and watch the teams tapes, making notes and preparing for practice the following day. To have an NHL coach and NHL captain there to make suggestions and give advice was beyond amazing as they pointed out things Mr. James wouldn't of seen.

When they took it out to the ice, Mr. James just sat back and watched as Dan instructed Jeremy and Maddi in different drills, Sidney joining in when needed. Mr. James would remember every minute of this hoping to bring it to his home ice for the team.

Sidney recognized the look on Mr. James face as he watched his son skate around the NHL ice. He had seen it in his fathers eyes and knew he had the same look when he watched Maddi and his boys play. Jeremy had a good chance at making it big and to know that just a couple hours would make a difference had Sidney feeling happy for the James'. Sidney knew what hockey parents sacrificed to let their children play. The James' were no different.

Jeremy wanted to make his parents proud of him. Growing up in the south then moving to Pittsburgh made it difficult to settle into a hockey routine but they did it. They did it for him. That's why Jeremy pushes himself every game, every practice so one day he can repay his parents.

And if asked, any guy on the Pittsburgh Penguins would say the same thing about their own families.

By the time Coach Dan finished up his drills, the Pens players had left. Maddi and Jeremy walked to the locker room together to change, "God I'm exhausted. I guess I should of checked out how the Pens played. Coach was almost ready to drive them into the--" The feel of Jeremy's lips interrupted Maddi. She almost melted into Jeremy once the state of surprise washed away.

"Thank you." Jeremy breathed once he pulled away. He would of stood there all day showing Maddi just how thankful he was for doing all this but their folks might get suspicious.

"Anytime." She smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little different. Thought I'd introduce Jeremy's parents a little. Hope you enjoyed it! :)

With love,
<3